18% Soda tax sparks debate-NY Times

That is such a politically correct statement. Are you saying that poor people can't control their impulses too? People can make their own choices. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy sodas.

Totally.

Let's not give the government still more control over our individual liberties, shall we?

Enough is enough.

Taxing food is PURE EVIL.

Telling people what they can or cannot take into their own bodies is PURE EVIL.

MY BODY MY CHOICE!!!!!!!

If the government can't poke its nose into a woman's womb, why should it be able to look in my fridge?

Hey does anyone want to invest in a chain of pop stores? We can open them up on the border of NY and make a fortune selling tax free soda

To be honest, I like all the services I get here. I don't want them cutting back on the hours or the monies they give to City-Meals-On-Wheels. I'm being realistic. Heck, they can even keep the rebate check we were supposed to get if it would help our social services.

BTW, I get taxed for my haircuts. Which is more necessary than my Diet Coke.

so then it's just a matter of time before your hair length determines your greater tax? You don't need anything but a bald pate, really... Hell, if you want more than peach fuzz then you should throw some cash at your broke ass state, eh?

These are reasons that I am glad I live in the midwest. this kind of liberalism is the same kind of danger for dems as dogma junkies are to republicans.

Maine just rejected a tax on bottled water, soda beer and stuff like that.

The reason for that tax was simply to raise revenue.

Baldacchi made no bones about that.

Incidetly, Maine USED to have a junk food tax, too.

We got rid of it.

Good.

That is such a politically correct statement. Are you saying that poor people can't control their impulses too? People can make their own choices. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy sodas.
Me politically incorrect? Noooooo!
No what I'm saying is that the tax is aimed at the people who can affordit least, poor people. But soda is a legal substance, you does gubamint want to say it's bad and tax it? Because they know that the poor people won't defend themselves as vigorously as the rich. The poor are easy targets.
In D.C. the fares for public transportation are going up. Who does that effect more? The poor that's who. Who can afford it the least? The poor.
If Liberals actually cared about the poor, they would work to lower the cost of living as much as they can rather than increase it as they do with taxes.

All white powders are bad for you....

flour, sugar, cocaine, heroin......

so then it's just a matter of time before your hair length determines your greater tax? You don't need anything but a bald pate, really... Hell, if you want more than peach fuzz then you should throw some cash at your broke ass state, eh?

These are reasons that I am glad I live in the midwest. this kind of liberalism is the same kind of danger for dems as dogma junkies are to republicans.

That explains your narrow-mindedness.

Totally.

Let's not give the government still more control over our individual liberties, shall we?

Enough is enough.

Taxing food is PURE EVIL.

Telling people what they can or cannot take into their own bodies is PURE EVIL.

BUT we should let the Government Illegally Nationalize every aspect of Health Care? Right? Your opinion is meaningless here since you already forfeited your right to complain about anything the Government may or may not do.

Me politically incorrect? Noooooo!
No what I'm saying is that the tax is aimed at the people who can affordit least, poor people. But soda is a legal substance, you does gubamint want to say it's bad and tax it? Because they know that the poor people won't defend themselves as vigorously as the rich. The poor are easy targets.
In D.C. the fares for public transportation are going up. Who does that effect more? The poor that's who. Who can afford it the least? The poor.
If Liberals actually cared about the poor, they would work to lower the cost of living as much as they can rather than increase it as they do with taxes.

We're in a bad situation already. The poor receive more social services here than most cities, states. The soda tax will hurt poor people? Have you ever heard of water, plain ole H2O? It quenches your thirst and you need it to survive. My kids love soda and will snatch it from me every chance they can. Most of the time, I insist they drink water rather than soda or sugar. I'm not poor, but I just use my judgement as a parent. The kids need the flouride from the water anyway.

I already pay for water anyway, why not a soda tax?

You know what I dislike more? That darn 5 cent deposit on cans and sodas. That's more annoying than anything else we've discussed.

That explains your narrow-mindedness.

HA!

yea, it sure does take a narrow mind to see how taxing the shit out of everything under the sun is worse than reducing your state spending habits. It's exactly this kind of shit that makes dems such an easy target on fiscal issues.

narrow minded, indeed.

BUT we should let the Government Illegally Nationalize every aspect of Health Care? Right? Your opinion is meaningless here since you already forfeited your right to complain about anything the Government may or may not do.

No, we should stop paying for healthcare for retired military.

Forum List

Back