18% Soda tax sparks debate-NY Times

first the smokers.. then the fat people...

First the drinkers, then the stoners, now the smokers, soon the junk food eaters.

We know what's good for you.

Your body is merely loaned to you. We decide how you must take care of it.

Get used to it.

I kind of like the idea. Nobody "needs" to live on soda and sugary drinks. Colas are particularly bad for kids. They remove enamel from the teeth and leech calcium from the body.

Perhaps, people can be "taxed" to eat better. It certainly isn't the American way, but people can avoid it by not drinking it or by buying it elsewhere.

everyone has an opinion of what is "good" for you, chic. Would you rather make that kind of decision for yourself or would you like to trust a guy like me to mold your life for you?

everyone has an opinion of what is "good" for you, chic. Would you rather make that kind of decision for yourself or would you like to trust a guy like me to mold your life for you?

I live in NY and the state needs money. I'd rather they tax things like soda and cigarettes instead of other taxes that people cannot avoid.

I live in NY and the state needs money. I'd rather they tax things like soda and cigarettes instead of other taxes that people cannot avoid.

does the state need money more than you need your liberty? Your discretion as to what can or cannot be avoided is probably not as universal as you'd suppose, eh? You probably don't NEED your hair any particular length, eh? Is a haircut tax needed just because your state fails at keeping up with a budget?

thx_1138_ver2.jpg

with Democrats in charge you can expect a lot of increased taxation. It was a big fat lie that 95% of us would see our taxes reduced. Next thing ya know they will tax yer farts. Yep

I thought farts were already included in the greenhouse gas tax

does the state need money more than you need your liberty? Your discretion as to what can or cannot be avoided is probably not as universal as you'd suppose, eh? You probably don't NEED your hair any particular length, eh? Is a haircut tax needed just because your state fails at keeping up with a budget?

thx_1138_ver2.jpg

BTW, I get taxed for my haircuts. Which is more necessary than my Diet Coke.

WillowTree Wrote:
I bet Al Gore dosen't fart.

Of course he does, Willow, don't be silly. He just buys fart subsidies from poor African men so he can fart without having to feel guilty about his environmental impact.

More sin taxes from the 'all-knowing' and 'compassionate' liberals... Thank God they know what's best for us.
This is a tax on poor people. Are they gonna' tax caviar? No. Just the stuff the poor people eat. How do ya' like that? Fast food is next right?
They got some budget director, not an MD, to cite a study so now you know where the idea comes from.

WillowTree Wrote:

Of course he does, Willow, don't be silly. He just buys fart subsidies from poor African men so he can fart without having to feel guilty about his environmental impact.

Okay, that's funny.

And you know, I seldom think fart jokes are, either.

This is a tax on poor people. Are they gonna' tax caviar? No. Just the stuff the poor people eat. How do ya' like that? Fast food is next right?
They got some budget director, not an MD, to cite a study so now you know where the idea comes from.

That is such a politically correct statement. Are you saying that poor people can't control their impulses too? People can make their own choices. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy sodas.

Forum List

Back