18 Pages To Define 'Full-Time' for Obamacare

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
One of the most-anticipated new federal regulations governing which companies will be required to provide health insurance under Obamacare has finally landed--with a thud.

In the latest indication of how complicated putting the Affordable Care Act into action will be, the Department of Health and Human Services and Internal Revenue Service issued 18-pages of regulations just to describe what a "full-time employee" is. Of note, to the Feds a full-time employee works an average of just 30 hours a week, not the normally accepted 40 hours.The IRS rule is key because companies with more than 50 full-time employees must provide health insurance under Obamacare, or be fined. Business groups have been warning that small companies might try to replace full-time workers with part-time help to avoid being forced to offer health insurance in 2014, but the 30-hour full-time definition is likely to undermine those plans.

The lengthy 18-page definition caught some in the business world by surprise. "It's scary," said Randy Johnson, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce senior vice president for labor, immigration, and employee benefits. "It's just a small example of two words under our healthcare law of 2,700-pages," he said, adding: "It says to me things are awfully complicated."

Johnson noted the new Obamacare ruling to demonstrate how oppressive federal regulations have become on American business. At a press conference to discuss the costs of regulations and state of the economy, Johnson said that Obama has added 11,327 new pages of federal rules and regulations.

Feds need 18 pages to define 'full-time' for Obamacare | WashingtonExaminer.com

I'd guess there was some serious attorney representation when writing this mess.

When you have a bunch of lawyers writing a document, and when you have just one party doing a vast majority the input, you end up with a one bloated, political, sloppy beast.

Hey, it's only our health care...

• Banned

I'd guess there was some serious attorney representation when writing this mess.

When you have a bunch of lawyers writing a document, and when you have just one party doing a vast majority the input, you end up with a one bloated, political, sloppy beast.

Hey, it's only our health care...

But there we have it. A full time worker is 30 hours. By that standard Obama is still part-time. :D

Jesus. I can see where this is going to be a nightmare for business.

Guess the UE will remain at 8% or higher.

Who in hell is gonna hire with these regs??

I sure wouldn't.

• Banned

I sure wouldn't.

BINGO! And that's just the start. I wonder how many pages it takes to explain and justify taxpayers paying for Fluke's fuck?

wow....11,327 pages of job-killing regulations added by Obama in just 4 years....

no wonder the middle class is suffering....

I sure wouldn't.

What kind of business do you own?

One of the most-anticipated new federal regulations governing which companies will be required to provide health insurance under Obamacare has finally landed--with a thud.

In the latest indication of how complicated putting the Affordable Care Act into action will be, the Department of Health and Human Services and Internal Revenue Service issued 18-pages of regulations just to describe what a "full-time employee" is. Of note, to the Feds a full-time employee works an average of just 30 hours a week, not the normally accepted 40 hours.The IRS rule is key because companies with more than 50 full-time employees must provide health insurance under Obamacare, or be fined. Business groups have been warning that small companies might try to replace full-time workers with part-time help to avoid being forced to offer health insurance in 2014, but the 30-hour full-time definition is likely to undermine those plans.

The lengthy 18-page definition caught some in the business world by surprise. "It's scary," said Randy Johnson, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce senior vice president for labor, immigration, and employee benefits. "It's just a small example of two words under our healthcare law of 2,700-pages," he said, adding: "It says to me things are awfully complicated."

Johnson noted the new Obamacare ruling to demonstrate how oppressive federal regulations have become on American business. At a press conference to discuss the costs of regulations and state of the economy, Johnson said that Obama has added 11,327 new pages of federal rules and regulations.

This just means some people will lose their jobs so companies have less than 50 employees or companies will lay people off or put them part time, which will be less than 30 hours a week. If they want to survive the oppressive Obamacare rules, they will have to make tough decisions and that is bad for the workers. This is the biggest job killing bill ever written and shoved through.

Companies already hire more part time workers and only work full time employees an average of 30 hours a week. Companies will do what they always do, whatever turns a profit. When profits are down, companies screw the workers 1st and if that doesn't help then they pass the buck to the consumer.

I sure wouldn't.

What kind of business do you own?

I don't. If I did I'd sure think long and hard before I hired.

Common Sense 101

No you wouldn't. If you had customers you would hire. If you owned a business you'd realize this.

Full time work was never defined as 40 hours per week.

One place I worked defined Full time work as 25 hours per week to be eligible for their health care plan.

BLS Glossary

Full-time employees (National Compensation Survey)
Employees are classified as full time or part time as defined by their employer.

Full-time workers (Current Population Survey and American Time Use Survey)
Persons who work 35 hours or more per week.

Last edited:
When I was a teen working at a supermarket chain in the 70s, everything up to 30 hours a week was part time. Any job that was 30 hours or more was considered full time for purposes of job benefits.

Obama did not invent this.

When I was a teen working at a supermarket chain in the 70s, everything up to 30 hours a week was part time. Any job that was 30 hours or more was considered full time for purposes of job benefits.

Obama did not invent this.

He may not have invented but he sure modified it downward from what even the BLS considers full-time.

"Persons who work 35 hours or more per week."

But it is still left up to the employer as to how one is classified.

Suffice it to say, it's a mixed and confusing bag.

BLS Glossary

Companies already hire more part time workers and only work full time employees an average of 30 hours a week. Companies will do what they always do, whatever turns a profit. When profits are down, companies screw the workers 1st and if that doesn't help then they pass the buck to the consumer.

A lot of companies do what they need to in order to stay in business. Would you rather they all go bankrupt when the undue burdens placed on them by government squeeze the life out of them and then everyone there can lose their job?

Lately, a lot of people on the left sound downright bitter that any company is making money. Excuse me, but that is a good thing. A lot of those businesses would be thriving if not for the idiotic politicians who have destroyed the economy with their ignorance. We need regulations, but they let some things go and over regulate things they shouldn't.

A lot of companies do what they need to in order to stay in business. Would you rather they all go bankrupt when the undue burdens placed on them by government squeeze the life out of them and then everyone there can lose their job?

Lately, a lot of people on the left sound downright bitter that any company is making money. Excuse me, but that is a good thing. A lot of those businesses would be thriving if not for the idiotic politicians who have destroyed the economy with their ignorance. We need regulations, but they let some things go and over regulate things they shouldn't.

I have no bitter feelings toward business. Ive got a degree in Business management. However I also don't try to make saints out of corporations. A business does whatever it can to keep cost down and profit up. At the end of the day, it is about the bottom line and if that bottom line can be helped by firing full time employees and hiring part time college kids then that is what you do.

Forum List

Back