$174,308 retirement a year at 59 for Public Sector Worker!

Wah wah wah.

A very few educators actually get paid rather well

Boo hoo hoo!

Seriously, kids, some of you need to grow up.

Just for the record, this guy was a school superintendent for 9 years of his career. Before that he was a teacher, athletic director, assistant principal, principal, and assistant superintendent.

School superintendent steps down - Folsom Telegraph

Just for those who might not get the point of the above,

it appears that most of the big money this guy made was from salaries paid in non-union administrative/supervisory positions.

Once in CalSTRS always in CalSTRS. Non-Union does not mean non CalSTRS.

CalSTRS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wah wah wah.

A very few educators actually get paid rather well

Boo hoo hoo!

Seriously, kids, some of you need to grow up.

That's true and some of them are worth it. Our super is in charge of 4000 students, 500 employees, and a $40 mil budget. He works about 80 hours a week year round.

The article was very misleading.

Hey clitis, they only work aprox about 150 days and the TAX PAYERS FOOT THE BILL

Superintendent's of schools do not work a teachers schedule.

In my school division a teacher with 30-years retires on about $33,100.

WHAT SAY YOU>>>MR. Infinite wisdom of the obvious, why is this pay scale acceptable to compare to min wag individuals entering the work workforce?

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but...

Could you show is any school system in the country that hires an 18-year old, non-college graduate, with no experience who leads an organization of thousands and budgets (in the case of the OP) of approximately $130,000,000.00?

>>>>

Very misleading. The highest paid teacher in our district makes 80K with a PhD. He could retire with 40K pension and 20K in medical benefits (which I believe are only paid until 65 when Medicare kicks in). That's 60K for a few years - not life.

either way its over the top, its like paying an entry salary forever ( or lets say he lives till hes 82- 59= 23 years), for someone who isn't working while having to employ a full timer to actually do the work.

You do realize that these pensions are, for the most part, prefunded, right? That the school system pays into the fund on behalf of its employees every year? There is $2.56 trillion in asset value in public pension funds as of the end of 2009, an average funding level of 80% of future benefits, despite the article's headline number of "unfunded obligations". Given that their investments have probably risen with the markets since then, the funding % may be higher today. If he was the head administrator of a large school system (the article wasn't clear on that), that may not be unreasonable. If someone working in the private sector managing several thousand employees retired, I don't think anyone would object to that pension arrangement. I do think that the public employee benefit plans should move more toward a defined contribution plan to avoid costly unknown future obligations, but they are as well funded as most of the remaining private sector defined benefit plans.

"After nearly 40 years in public education, Patrick Godwin spends his retirement days running a horse farm east of Sacramento, Calif., with his daughter.

His departure from the workaday world is likely to be long and relatively free of financial concerns, after he retired last July at age 59 with a pension paying $174,308 a year for the rest of his life.

Such guaranteed pensions for relatively youthful government retirees — paid in similar fashion to millions nationwide — are contributing to nationwide friction with the public sector workers. They have access to attractive defined-benefit pensions and retiree health care coverage that most private sector workers no longer do."

And the Democrats answer is raisng taxes. The Democrats are owned by the Public Sector Unions.

Public retirement ages come under greater scrutiny - Yahoo! News
The 1% owns Democrats AND Republicans.

"Godwin said all the antagonism toward public retirees is misplaced. His pension payout follows 36 years as an English teacher and school administrator in California, with two years' sick-leave credit added for never being absent.

"He said lack of accountability on Wall Street and exorbitant corporate salaries are a more justified target of the public's anger.

"'Those things I think are a much larger problem than what a public employee is making as a pension,' he said. The AFL-CIO labor coalition's Executive PayWatch project estimates chief executives went from making 42 times the average blue collar worker's salary in 1980 to 343 times as much last year."

Wall Street and the 1% are the biggest problem this country faces.

Public retirement ages come under greater scrutiny - Yahoo! News

Hey clitis, they only work aprox about 150 days and the TAX PAYERS FOOT THE BILL

Superintendent's of schools do not work a teachers schedule.

In my school division a teacher with 30-years retires on about $33,100.

WHAT SAY YOU>>>MR. Infinite wisdom of the obvious, why is this pay scale acceptable to compare to min wag individuals entering the work workforce?

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say, but...

Could you show is any school system in the country that hires an 18-year old, non-college graduate, with no experience who leads an organization of thousands and budgets (in the case of the OP) of approximately $130,000,000.00?

>>>>
I believe I was referring to the 174k/yr by congress gritters general payscale to aprivieous post

Forum List

Back