170 Million Dollars For What?

rcajun90

Jul 7, 2005
New Orleans, Louisiana
I have to question the President when he says he is going to get us back on course economically then goes out and spends 4 times what Bush's inaugurations costs. I understand the significance of the event but he would have impressed me more if he would have been more humbled and kept the costs down. He talks the talk but I'm not sure if he can walk the walk.

Well to be fair, How many people attended this inauguration as opposed to the last one? How much of that 170 Million would you consider frivolously spent?

It's okay; it was only one event. He's only going to spend about 50% more than Bush for everything else, so fret not.

really?

haliburton, bectel, the rich, they are all getting 50 percent more?

really?
:clap2:

I have to question the President when he says he is going to get us back on course economically then goes out and spends 4 times what Bush's inaugurations costs. I understand the significance of the event but he would have impressed me more if he would have been more humbled and kept the costs down. He talks the talk but I'm not sure if he can walk the walk.

First, you DO realize that the money for most of the celebration and ceremony was donated by the people, willingly?

Bush Jr. used taxpayer money (mostly).

Oh yeah........did anyone else notice that Obama did a better job on the parade than Bush Jr.? Monkey Boy Georgie was running around like a chicken with his head cut off........

Hey, we wanted to celebrate, we did it with the money donated by the people that wanted to celebrate. So go off into a corner somewhere and have a good snivel. LOL.

First, you DO realize that the money for most of the celebration and ceremony was donated by the people, willingly?

Oh yeah........did anyone else notice that Obama did a better job on the parade than Bush Jr.? Monkey Boy Georgie was running around like a chicken with his head cut off........

I didn't know any of it was donated. Thank you for the information. After a quick google search I couldn't find just how much we the people paid. I do like he didn't take donations from big companies or foreign interest groups. I still think $170,000,000 could have been better spent. I love what FDR did.
Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy - Yahoo! News

I didn't know any of it was donated. Thank you for the information. After a quick google search I couldn't find just how much we the people paid. I do like he didn't take donations from big companies or foreign interest groups. I still think $170,000,000 could have been better spent. I love what FDR did.
Obama hosting pricey party in a dicey economy - Yahoo! News

After the horror show of the past 8 years, I kinda think that everyone deserves a bit of a decent, hopefully good, time.

Have you ever gone out and spent a bunch of money on a friend for a surprise party? If so, then why didn't YOU spend that money in a better way that would benefit others more than just your own selfish interests of making your friend feel good for a while?

After the horror show of the past 8 years, I kinda think that everyone deserves a bit of a decent, hopefully good, time.

Have you ever gone out and spent a bunch of money on a friend for a surprise party? If so, then why didn't YOU spend that money in a better way that would benefit others more than just your own selfish interests of making your friend feel good for a while?

Sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. 170,000,000 spent by our President on one day during a recession is crazy to me. I understand where you are coming from but using your analogy I would have to put the parties expenses on a credit card and I would not do it or I would tone it down to fit my budget. To use my own analogy it is kind of like having a victory party before the big game. If he can get us out of this mess I would not have a problem with him having a big party to celebrate his second term. Anyways I doubt if Obama is very concerned about my opinion.:lol:

Sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. 170,000,000 spent by our President on one day during a recession is crazy to me. I understand where you are coming from but using your analogy I would have to put the parties expenses on a credit card and I would not do it or I would tone it down to fit my budget. To use my own analogy it is kind of like having a victory party before the big game. If he can get us out of this mess I would not have a problem with him having a big party to celebrate his second term. Anyways I doubt if Obama is very concerned about my opinion.:lol:

Actually, the victory party before the game was Bush Jr. and "Mission Accomplished". Do you know how much it costs to operate a carrier PER DAY?

And......granted, you wouldn't charge money that you don't have for a party, but, what if someone (a benefactor) showed up, gave you cash and told you to have a good time?

Incidentally, this particular little economic meltdown hasn't affected me much. I don't have investments, I don't have an IRA, and I don't have much money.

I DO have my retirement, my savings, and all the other stuff I need.

It seems the ones squawking the loudest about the recession, are those that were trading in imaginary money.

Ponzi Scheme anyone?

It was money well spent. Presidents have no real power over the economy. Never have, really. In fact, government has every increasingly little control as a whole. The modern global economy runs on one and only ONE thing....CONSUMER CONFIDENCE. When we feel confident in the future, we spend. When we spend, companies make money. Most companies plow that back into their business to expand, putting ever more people to work and we all have good economic times.

What Obama, can do as President, and what he will most concentrate on, is improving the MOOD of the country. He already knows the stimulus is useless in direct terms, but it bolsters our confidence, then it will work. This ceremony is all about doing just that.... Making us FELL better. Afterall, that is what really drives the economy.

Are you referring to the 2001 inauguration when childish Democrats were throwing eggs at Bush's limo?

New Topics

Forum List

Back