17 year old boy murders his 10 year old brother.

Echo, you are completely depressing me.

I subscribe to updates on local news on my emails, my last 3 threads on here are from there. It is depressing, isn't it. :(

That 17 yo is a seriously sick person, and does need to be locked up before he kills more people.

A killer that will kill again if he ever gets out. Just from this statement he made:

"During Andrew's interview, in answer to the question, 'Why did you kill him?,' Andrew stated, 'Like, I had to. It's like when people have something, like they are hungry, and there's a hamburger sitting there and they knew they had to have it,"

This stuff is just so sad. Sad for the family, sad for the little boy who died, sad for everyone. Obviously the 17 year old has some issued...he almost sounds like he's diminished capacity or something, in which case he should never have been left alone with his brother.

And, believe me, NORMAL 17 year old boys are volatile (and 10 year olds are exceedingly annoying)....they haven't learned to control themselves when they aren't batshit crazy, dysfunctional, or otherwise have something wrong with them. Impulse control is almost non-existent in 17 year olds which is why mothers of kids that age get old overnight.

Makes me wonder what it is that warped Andrew's mind. Even to kill a stranger like that takes a bent mind...but your own little brother? I also wonder what his state-paid defense lawyers will say to the jury and how many millions will be paid out for trials and appeals.

It could be anything. It could be he has organic brain damage (think frontal lobe, impulse control), he could just be crazy, he might be the product of his environment, or a combination of a whole bunch of things.

Kids do this stuff fairly regularly. Not OFTEN but it happens once or twice a year, often it doesn't even make the big news. We had a girl, I think, in Walla Walla a few years ago who killed a sibling in like manner....duct taped her to a chair, duct taped a bag around her head, let her die. She might even have set fire to her, I don't remember. It was just lunatic.

Echo, you are completely depressing me.

Well, when I read the thread's title "17 year old boy murders his 10 year old brother," I really wasn't expecting Wine and Roses.

At any rate, I find it very difficult to believe that this guy's parents didn't notice his decent into mental illness well before he killed his brother. But I can also very easily sympathise with them....The difference in age between my older son (coincidently named Andrew) and his younger brother is a little less than two years.

My Andrew was about 13 when he lost his freakin' marbles, and he didn't get them back for almost 3 years. We began with therapy, advanced to seeing a psychiatrist, then he was arrested, then he went to jail, then he was committed to a mental hospital (a second time), and finally we relinquished our parental rights to the county, which placed him in an insane asylum (today they call them "Residential Treatment Centers) where he stayed 9 months.

My point here is that there was a period of time when we were actually afraid of him, and had placed an alarm on his door. He had attacked his younger brother (no serious damage).

Its not easy living with someone like this, and the potential for tragedy like the one in this article, much less the ACTUAL Tragedy. These parents have lost two sons. It could happen to anyone. I never imagined we would be affected.

He is more then mental, he is a natural born killer. He stated he had to because it was like seeing a hamburger in front of you therefore you eat it. I've heard other serial killers state that they killed because it was like breathing for them. This kid probably had fantasies for a long time about killing. His urge became so great, and I bet what triggered it was in part the thought of his GF and giving her that ring, to him that relationship was probably his foreplay so to speak to killing.

Sorry for the young boy that died but at least this one is caught early for I bet this kid would have learned his trade and perfect it before getting caught.

I just now watched the video on that link and at the very end they did state that the Perp did state he had fantasy's since the 8th grade in killing people by slicing their throat! Seems I'm pretty spot on with this natural born killer

Except I think a lot of kids do go through periods when their brains go haywire during their adolescence. Some are able, with lots of supervision, sometimes medication (though it's best to try without it, unless you have seizures involved) to outgrow it. Their brains eventually develop to a point where they're no longer a danger to themselves or others. I had to separate my sons because I was afraid my older son was going to seriously injure the younger one. They were only 14 months apart, they fought like gangbusters. When I had to pick them up from middle school because the older boy waited for the younger one to get off the bus so he could clobber him I decided they needed a little space. Older boy went to my sister's home, younger one stayed with me.

Sis was only on the other side of town, I still saw him and did all the conferences and all that. She provided him with his own big space (same space he's living in now, lol) and some breathing room. In a year he was ready to move back and by that time they had gotten over that really volatile point, and my older boy had matured SO much just in that one year. He went from being constantly on edge, constantly hyped up over something, constantly angry, to being a polite, funny quasi-adult with the capacity to resist the impulse to clobber people who annoyed him. During the year we still did stuff as a family, the boys actually would do things on their own together, they were able to distance t hemselves from each other but still see each other when they wanted (and when I wanted) and nurtured a more healthy relationship. My older son learned he could remove himself from situations which triggered his anger, my younger son learned something...I'm not sure what. I think he learned, oddly, that his older brother DID love him and that made him interact with him in a less antagonistic way.

Except I think a lot of kids do go through periods when their brains go haywire during their adolescence. ....... My older son learned he could remove himself from situations which triggered his anger, my younger son learned something...I'm not sure what. I think he learned, oddly, that his older brother DID love him and that made him interact with him in a less antagonistic way.

Yep, totally agree....and like your story, mine ended the same way....THANKFULLY, HAPPILY (so far). You were damn lucky to have the option of sending him to live with his aunt in the same town you were in......I wonder, I really do, how these parents coped with this 17 year old who "fantasized about killing people by slicing their throat!" since he was about 14.

THREE YEARS.....3 X 365 nights trying to fall asleep in the same house....sheeze....my guess: the parents were in a coma.

Except I think a lot of kids do go through periods when their brains go haywire during their adolescence. Some are able, with lots of supervision, sometimes medication (though it's best to try without it, unless you have seizures involved) to outgrow it. Their brains eventually develop to a point where they're no longer a danger to themselves or others. I had to separate my sons because I was afraid my older son was going to seriously injure the younger one. They were only 14 months apart, they fought like gangbusters. When I had to pick them up from middle school because the older boy waited for the younger one to get off the bus so he could clobber him I decided they needed a little space. Older boy went to my sister's home, younger one stayed with me.

Sis was only on the other side of town, I still saw him and did all the conferences and all that. She provided him with his own big space (same space he's living in now, lol) and some breathing room. In a year he was ready to move back and by that time they had gotten over that really volatile point, and my older boy had matured SO much just in that one year. He went from being constantly on edge, constantly hyped up over something, constantly angry, to being a polite, funny quasi-adult with the capacity to resist the impulse to clobber people who annoyed him. During the year we still did stuff as a family, the boys actually would do things on their own together, they were able to distance t hemselves from each other but still see each other when they wanted (and when I wanted) and nurtured a more healthy relationship. My older son learned he could remove himself from situations which triggered his anger, my younger son learned something...I'm not sure what. I think he learned, oddly, that his older brother DID love him and that made him interact with him in a less antagonistic way.
My older brother and I are three months over two years apart. We used to fight with words and argue so much that my dad got tired of listening, brought home two pair of boxing gloves, gave us a speech about how we liked to harass each other all the time and then made us don the gloves and fight. I started pounding my bigger brother's mid section and he folded like a wimp, whining he'd had enough. We hardly ever argued after that...but I had a smirk on my face that wouldn't go away for a long time.

I'm not making light of anyone's story above...just sayin', parents can make a difference. I fully appreciate those that have to deal with mental disorders in their children.

I wish I could cheer you up.

I'm not making light of anyone's story above...just sayin', parents can make a difference. I fully appreciate those that have to deal with mental disorders in their children.

I don't think you're making light of anything. In fact you reiterated our point: Parents do make a difference, whether or not there's some mental disorder involved.

How these parents coped boggles my mind, but I'm certain they're doing a LOT of soul-searching now.

You could give my post green rep, and send me a friend request.:tongue:

(gawd, I'm such a whore)

Not all natuarl born killers gives signs. I'm sure there were signs but if the parents were not trained or versed in this area they wouldn't be able to read the signs but rather chalk it up to teen age stuff.

Not all will show outward violence, they hold it in, they fantasize about it. The signs would be so vague that it could be attributed to a number of other things.

The signs probably were:
Bad grades in school
Introvert
watch a lot of hack/slash movies
girlfriends were few and never lasted long
depression

It isn't like this kid was screaming out to his parents for help...he was hiding it...he said it was like being hungry, you see the hamburger and know to eat it. Exactly as other Natural born killers stated as killing was like breathing air for me.

I would if I were his parents though have a full brain scan done because it has been known that killers will have a tumor. If his scan is clear then more then likely it is due to how his brain learned, correlated things in his mind. That doesn't make him mentally ill. That just means his brain was wired differently hence the label of "Natural Born Killer"

Last edited:
I'm sure there were signs but if the parents were not trained or versed in this area they wouldn't be able to read the signs but rather chalk it up to teen age stuff.

You're correct.......for maybe a year, at most. Even two years if the parent is especially dense, but after that, "chalking it up to teen age stuff" doesn't really fly. As a parent you being to ask yourself "Did I Act Like This?" Then you ask YOUR parents, "Did I ACT LIKE THIS???"

Eventually you say Hell No, Plus, I've never known any Normal Human, teenager or not, to act this way.

At any rate, you could be right: but I'm not convinced that the signs of this severe a psychosis could be so "easily hidden." More likely, the parents simply ignored the kid, locked their bedroom door at night, slept with a gun, and were praying for the day he turned 18 and he'd no longer be their problem.

I don't think you're making light of anything. In fact you reiterated our point: Parents do make a difference, whether or not there's some mental disorder involved.

How these parents coped boggles my mind, but I'm certain they're doing a LOT of soul-searching now.

You could give my post green rep, and send me a friend request.:tongue:

(gawd, I'm such a whore)

I'll rep you...but with that avatar and the tongue you just showed me...I don't know about the friend shit.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back