17 Ways to Make Your Car Last Forever

f57d8224-3261-40c0-b74d-2755fe9d9107.jpg

There are only 15 in the article but they make a whole lot of sense. So you don’t have to go to the link, here is the short version:

1. Get your engine revs high.

2. Let the engine warm up.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

4. Check the coolant strengthen

5. Follow the service schedule

6. Don’t delay checking out strange stuff.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

9. Use premium Pflege = to rubber doors and window seals.

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Full explanations @ 17 Ways to Make Your Car Last Forever
Number 2 is wrong, believe it or not. It used to be that you wanted to let the engine warm up before driving it, but that changed with modern engines. If you do a google search for "how long should i let my car warm up", youll find a million hits that all say the same thing... "never let your car warm up at idle for more than 30 seconds, ESPECIALLY during winter". All the experts agree that the best way to warm up your car is by driving it.

Warming Up Your Car in the Cold Just Harms the Engine
What changed in the engines?

Much closer tolerances held in the engine parts than in the old days mainly.

Depending on the toyota you might get a chain or a belt.
It's simple to google if your particular engine, regardless of brand, to see if it has a timing belt or chain.

I like timing chains because they will generally last the lifetime of the car.

Whereas, timing belts have a scheduled replacement service that is rather expensive. Plus, if your car has an interference engine, you risk catastrophic damage if the belt breaks while driving. So timing belt replacement is critical. ... :cool:

Last edited:

There are only 15 in the article but they make a whole lot of sense. So you don’t have to go to the link, here is the short version:

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Number 2 is wrong, believe it or not. It used to be that you wanted to let the engine warm up before driving it, but that changed with modern engines. If you do a google search for "how long should i let my car warm up", youll find a million hits that all say the same thing... "never let your car warm up at idle for more than 30 seconds, ESPECIALLY during winter". All the experts agree that the best way to warm up your car is by driving it.

I thought it was actually newer cars use MORE fuel when it's cold. That since it is cold less gas evaporates for the correct vapor ratio, so more fuel is added until it warms up. And the worry is that excess fuel not burning up as vapor is may run down the cylinders and "clean" away the oil.

I thought it was actually newer cars use MORE fuel when it's cold. That since it is cold less gas evaporates for the correct vapor ratio, so more fuel is added until it warms up. And the worry is that excess fuel not burning up as vapor is may run down the cylinders and "clean" away the oil.
The only engine where that might be a concern is the GDI (gasoline direct inject) engine in some of the newer cars.

Personally, I would never own any car that has a GDI engine, because of the tendency of the injected gasoline diluting the oil and causing premature engine failure. ... :cool:

What about the exterior of the car? Prevention of rust? Protection of the paint? Protection of rubber parts?

Get your car checked out by an expert from time to time, to catch things that are close to failure but have not failed yet.

Buy a Toyota.

Just kidding.
I can give you 3 options for protecting the paint.

The first one is "ceramic coating". It isnt expensive and you can apply it yourself, but it protects against scratches and UV rays, and it makes your car shinier.

The second one is a clear bra. Those cost about $600-900, but they invisibly cover the grille and most of the hood where rocks will hit your car as you go down the road.

The third one is a vinyl wrap. Those are very expensive, but they protect the entire car. For about $2500-4000 (on average), you can make your car any color you want, with any design you want, that looks just like paint. Wraps are super easy to clean, and you dont have to wax or buff them. Those last 5-7 years (on average, sometimes longer), at which point you peel it off and the original paint under it is preserved as good as new.

Here are a couple examples of what a wrap looks like.

Ferrari-F12-Gold-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

vinyl-wrap-application-Ferrari.jpg
None of which prevents road salt, spread about liberally in snowy localities, from getting into every crevice and rusting the steel parts.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Cold air is more dense, requiring more fuel for a proper fuel/O2 ratio.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

It has something to do with the computer regulating the fuel intake (it dumps too much in when its cold). Old cars had a choke, new cars dont. The end result is you get carbon build up in the combustion chamber if you let it idle too long when its cold outside.

Im no expert, but that is my rudimentary understanding of it.
That's backwards i'm afraid. Computer cars don't need a choke, they use the intake air temperature to determine fuel air mixture and they do that by controling the on time of the injectors. This OP article doesn't hold much water.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

It has something to do with the computer regulating the fuel intake (it dumps too much in when its cold). Old cars had a choke, new cars dont. The end result is you get carbon build up in the combustion chamber if you let it idle too long when its cold outside.

That's backwards i'm afraid. Computer cars don't need a choke, they use the intake air temperature to determine fuel air mixture and they do that by controling the on time of the injectors. This OP article doesn't hold much water.
Google it. Youll find every expert saying the same thing. I was shocked when i first heard it, but it turns out that is the case.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Google it. Youll find every expert saying the same thing. I was shocked when i first heard it, but it turns out that is the case.
just because google makes a claim on it does not mean it is true. I have worked on this crap for nearly 40 years. Been to GM schools Chrysler schools and others. Modern cars run better than they ever have and require less maintenance.

Depending on the toyota you might get a chain or a belt.
It's simple to google if your particular engine, regardless of brand, to see if it has a timing belt or chain.

I like timing chains because they will generally last the lifetime of the car.

Whereas, timing belts have a scheduled replacement service that is rather expensive. Plus, if your car has an interference engine, you risk catastrophic damage if the belt breaks while driving. So timing belt replacement is critical. ... :cool:

I know all that.
The Wife's 2001 4runner had the belt. You pay for the first replacement at 90k miles and Toyota will replace all subsequent belts for free.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

I see a gloveless 'mechanic' with clean hands

~S~

just because google makes a claim on it does not mean it is true. I have worked on this crap for nearly 40 years. Been to GM schools Chrysler schools and others. Modern cars run better than they ever have and require less maintenance.
Its not google, its "popular mechanics", "car and driver", etc., all automotives experts say the same thing. Literally all of them.

Last edited:

Its not google, its "popular mechanics", "car and driver", etc., all automotives experts say the same thing. Literally all of them.
I know, but to put it in perspective all the democrats say the same thing too. :) Also on the first shuttle launch the back up computer disagreed with all the other computers and guess what? :)

The Wife's 2001 4runner had the belt. You pay for the first replacement at 90k miles and Toyota will replace all subsequent belts for free.
You must have gotten a special warranty package with that particular car dealer, because I've never heard of that before.

Also some brands scheduled timing belt replacement interval is every 60,000 miles or 7 years, which ever comes first, and you pay for it. ... :cool:

Pretty much agree with the list. I get around 25 plus years out of a vehicle, and it's the interiors, door panels, dashboard switches, etc. that wear out and make me want to get rid of them for the most part. My Dodge truck is a 2001 and I still have a problem checking the oil because it's so clean I have a hard time seeing it.

Fancy options and electronic gizmos will get you before the power train wears out.

I am no mechanic- but I have owned cars that were made in the '30's, '50's, '60's, 70's, and 90's.

Not a single doubt in my mind that the more modern cars run better.

Hell my current car has 366,000 miles- i put a quart of oil in it about every other month. Cars made in the '60's- well we would just buy a case of oil at a time.

That isn't to say that older cars didn't have their advantages- but if I want something that will run more than 200,000 miles- I want a more modern car.

Forum List

Back