17 Ways to Make Your Car Last Forever

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
f57d8224-3261-40c0-b74d-2755fe9d9107.jpg

There are only 15 in the article but they make a whole lot of sense. So you don’t have to go to the link, here is the short version:

1. Get your engine revs high.

2. Let the engine warm up.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

4. Check the coolant strengthen

5. Follow the service schedule

6. Don’t delay checking out strange stuff.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

9. Use premium Pflege = to rubber doors and window seals.

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Full explanations @ 17 Ways to Make Your Car Last Forever

What about the exterior of the car? Prevention of rust? Protection of the paint? Protection of rubber parts?

Get your car checked out by an expert from time to time, to catch things that are close to failure but have not failed yet.

Buy a Toyota.

Just kidding.

There are only 15 in the article but they make a whole lot of sense. So you don’t have to go to the link, here is the short version:

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Number 2 is wrong, believe it or not. It used to be that you wanted to let the engine warm up before driving it, but that changed with modern engines. If you do a google search for "how long should i let my car warm up", youll find a million hits that all say the same thing... "never let your car warm up at idle for more than 30 seconds, ESPECIALLY during winter". All the experts agree that the best way to warm up your car is by driving it.

Warming Up Your Car in the Cold Just Harms the Engine

Last edited:
What about the exterior of the car? Prevention of rust? Protection of the paint? Protection of rubber parts?

Get your car checked out by an expert from time to time, to catch things that are close to failure but have not failed yet.

Buy a Toyota.

Just kidding.
I can give you 3 options for protecting the paint.

The first one is "ceramic coating". It isnt expensive and you can apply it yourself, but it protects against scratches and UV rays, and it makes your car shinier.

The second one is a clear bra. Those cost about $600-900, but they invisibly cover the grille and most of the hood where rocks will hit your car as you go down the road.

The third one is a vinyl wrap. Those are very expensive, but they protect the entire car. For about $2500-4000 (on average), you can make your car any color you want, with any design you want, that looks just like paint. Wraps are super easy to clean, and you dont have to wax or buff them. Those last 5-7 years (on average, sometimes longer), at which point you peel it off and the original paint under it is preserved as good as new.

Here are a couple examples of what a wrap looks like.

Ferrari-F12-Gold-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_8369.jpg

vinyl-wrap-application-Ferrari.jpg

Last edited:
Had a clear bra on my Mazda, and it did a nice job of catching the rocks.

As for warming up, yeah, warm up enough so your defrost is working to keep your windows clear, but don't gun it till you've been driving a while. Some cars now have rev limiters that cut back until the engine is hot.

I like the list, but it's funny how luck comes into play as well. When I was 19 or so I wanted to get a car (just moved to Colorado, so my motorcycle was no longer a year round vehicle). Anyways, I picked up a 1989 Chevy Corsica from my buddy for 300 bucks to get around until I could get out to Denver to go car shopping. Had 90k miles on it, not known for reliability. Anyways, I just kept driving it and putting off car shopping and likely a car payment as long as I could. But I didn’t want to put money into the Corsica. So once a year, about 30k miles I’d change the oil. And it didn't leak or burn oil, so I wouldn't add to it either. Didn’t treat it well, only replaced things if they were becoming dangerous (tires/brakes/lights). Drove it with my foot to the floor all the time. Had a sparkplug foul up and end up thinking the cylinder flooded, because I replaced it and was running on 3 cylinders for a couple weeks and just when I'd given up hope, all of a sudden I noticed the car wasn’t completely gutless anymore (just back to old 80’s chevy 4 banger gutless). It wouldn’t die. Took it cross country to Florida a half dozen times. I remember driving through a road that was flooded over. And it died in the middle of the road (exhaust underwater). A couple buddies were laughing at us as water was seeping in the bottom of the door. Turned the key again, it started right up and drove on.

Anyways did that for 3 years. Car had 180k miles on it at that point. Moved, and sold it to my roommate who offered $500 for it as a commuter since he knew it wouldn’t die. I wouldn’t take more than what I paid. Came back a couple years later. He was still treating it like crap, and it was at 250k miles.

I owned a 3 cylinder Beetle that just wouldn't quit no matter what.

I always liked those old beetles. Simple and if you wanted you could swap a porshe engine in them.

So the funny part of this is that spark plug fouled out on my way up to Winter Park Colorado with five people in the car. Trying to climb I-70 on a mountain pass with 3 cylinders loaded with people and a full trunk. First gear was the only gear with enough torque to accelerate. Lol.

We found an AutoZone part way up where I swapped out the spark plug but it wouldn't fire for another few weeks.

But you almost wish you could tell which cars were invincible. Honestly I wish I still had that one to get around in winter.

Although I'm probably remembering it too fondly. While it wouldn't stop driving, the e-brake didn't work. The driver side window would just completely drop into the door if you started to roll it down, and you'd have to pull it back up by hand and roll up the window to hold it in place. The ignition key went out but in the steering column was a little lever I could push to start it (between that and the window I didn't need keys except to get in the trunk). It got hit by one of the worst hail storms I've ever seen, and it showed. The air conditioner had no juice left. And I drove it for a full winter with no heat because the guy I bought it from said it needed an expensive fix. And when I pulled the fuse from the heater (since I didn't need it) to replace the cigarette lighter fuse for my CD player into the tape adapter, it was blown and found out it was a 15 cent fix.

I owned a 3 cylinder Beetle that just wouldn't quit no matter what.
We had a four cylinder, it was a 71 or something. The last year beetles were all built in the Fatherland. We restored it once but it finally uglyed out. Not that it wore out, we just got tired of it. My wife interviewed prospective buyers like they were adopting a child or something. They had to have a garage, no teenagers in the family, promised not to hack it up or modify it, promise to rigorously maintain it, etc. etc. It went to a good home in excellent shape. Once in a while my wife says she wishes we still had it.

Buy a Toyota.
Toyota's are all that I buy and drive. (I only buy the cars that the engines have a timing chain, not a timing belt)

Regular oil changes with Mobile 1 synthetic, and scheduled coolant and transmission fluid changes.

Besides, tires, brake pads, air filter and cabin filter, battery replacement, and windshield wipers when needed, I've never had a repair problem or breakdown. ... :thup: .. :cool:

Last edited:

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Number 2 is wrong, believe it or not. It used to be that you wanted to let the engine warm up before driving it, but that changed with modern engines. If you do a google search for "how long should i let my car warm up", youll find a million hits that all say the same thing... "never let your car warm up at idle for more than 30 seconds, ESPECIALLY during winter". All the experts agree that the best way to warm up your car is by driving it.

What changed in the engines?

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

What changed in the engines?
It has something to do with the computer regulating the fuel intake (it dumps too much in when its cold). Old cars had a choke, new cars dont. The end result is you get carbon build up in the combustion chamber if you let it idle too long when its cold outside.

Im no expert, but that is my rudimentary understanding of it.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in all kinds of cars, and car maintenance, to watch the YouTube videos by Scotty Kilmer.

He breaks the subject down into informative short 5 min videos geared for the layman in simple terms. ... :cool:

Buy a Toyota.
Toyota's are all that I buy and drive. (I only buy the cars that the engines have a timing chain, not a timing belt)

Regular oil changes with Mobile 1 synthetic, and scheduled coolant and transmission fluid changes.

Besides, tires, brake pads, air filter and cabin filter, battery replacement, and windshield wipers when needed, I've never had a repair problem or breakdown. ... :thup: .. :cool:

I'm tempted for Toyota's. I always liked the Tacoma's, and the 4-runner looks fun (though I have a Wrangler for off-roading so that kind of takes away it's best reason). The Tundra's I think are due for an update now.

But some of the best standard safety options, preventative maintenance for the first few years, and Toyota quality. If you ever get a chance, check out a Toyota plant. Really impressive.

Wish they'd do more in the sports car world again, but they are kinda getting there. And hey, a 300+Hp Camry is impressive.

3. Don’t run low on gas.

7. Maintain the battery

8. Use synthetic oil

10. Wheel alignment

11. Cam belt renewal

12, Renew the water pump

13. Check your tires

14. Replace fuel hoses

15. Air filters

Number one is don't drive it.

I strongly suggest that anyone who is interested in all kinds of cars, and car maintenance, to watch the YouTube videos by Scotty Kilmer.

He breaks the subject down into informative short 5 min videos geared for the layman in simple terms. ... :cool:
I am too advanced for that............................................................

Buy a Toyota.

Depending on the toyota you might get a chain or a belt.

Forum List

Back