17 months is all it took

Oh please, the first thing Reagan did was change the questions in order to make it look like he reduced unemployment. Then he changed the stats for the cost of living index, taking housing completely out of the index in order to make that look better. Bet they've put it back in now that the housing bubble burst.

Check the dates of legislation, spending, and recovery, then come back and admit you are a toid.

The untruth of your post returns to you. I've already shown Reagan restored a worse recession in less than half the time Obama had.

It's all the smoke and mirrors the Dems are spewing.

Starkey, you are most definitely not a Republican. Why do you continue to lie about it??

It took Reagan 17 months to straighten out Jimmy Carter's mess he left. Unemployment actually rose during the first months of his presidency to over 10% (sound familiar?) Inflation jumped to 13.5%

Bill Clinton lied last night saying no other president faced what Obama was facing. Reagan's was just as bad if not worse.

When Reagan took office the economy was one of the double-digit inflation and high interest rates. During the campaign Reagan promised to restore the free market from excessive government regulation and encourage private initiative and enterprise.

Reagan's economic policies came to be known as "Reaganomics," an attempt, according to Lou Cannon, to "balance the federal budget, increase defense spending, and cut income taxes." The President vowed to protect entitlement programs (such as Medicare and Social Security) while cutting the outlays for social programs by targeting "waste, fraud and abuse." Reagan embraced the theory of "supply side economics," which postulated that tax cuts encouraged economic expansion which in turn increased the government's revenue at a lower tax rate.

During his first year in office, Reagan engineered the passage of $39 billion in budget cuts into law, as well as a massive 25 percent tax cut spread over three years for individual, and faster write-offs for capital investment for business. At the same time, he insisted on, and for the most part, was successful in gaining increased funding for defense.

Although inflation dropped from 13.5% in 1980 to 5.1% in 1982, a severe recession set in, with unemployment exceeding 10% in October, 1982 for the first time in forty years. The administration modified its economic policy after two years by proposing selected tax increases and budget cuts to control rising deficits and higher interest rates. After the 1982 downturn, the reduced inflation rate (under 5% for the remainder of the administration) sparked record economic growth, and produced one of the lowest unemployment rates in modern U.S. history (unemployment hit a 14 year low in June of 1988). As Reagan left office, the nation was experiencing its sixth consecutive year of economic prosperity.

The economic gains, however, came at a cost of a record annual deficit and a ballooning national debt. The budget deficit was exacerbated by a trade deficit. Americans continued to buy more foreign-made goods than they were selling. Reagan, however adhered to his free trade stance, and signed an agreement to that effect with Canada. He also signed, reluctantly, trade legislation designed to open foreign markets to U.S. goods.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, National Archives and Records Administration

Reaganomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clinton lied last night? You only caught one of several dozen, but good catch anyway

It took Reagan 17 months to straighten out Jimmy Carter's mess he left. Unemployment actually rose during the first months of his presidency to over 10% (sound familiar?) Inflation jumped to 13.5%

Bill Clinton lied last night saying no other president faced what Obama was facing. Reagan's was just as bad if not worse.

When Reagan took office the economy was one of the double-digit inflation and high interest rates. During the campaign Reagan promised to restore the free market from excessive government regulation and encourage private initiative and enterprise.

Reagan's economic policies came to be known as "Reaganomics," an attempt, according to Lou Cannon, to "balance the federal budget, increase defense spending, and cut income taxes." The President vowed to protect entitlement programs (such as Medicare and Social Security) while cutting the outlays for social programs by targeting "waste, fraud and abuse." Reagan embraced the theory of "supply side economics," which postulated that tax cuts encouraged economic expansion which in turn increased the government's revenue at a lower tax rate.

During his first year in office, Reagan engineered the passage of $39 billion in budget cuts into law, as well as a massive 25 percent tax cut spread over three years for individual, and faster write-offs for capital investment for business. At the same time, he insisted on, and for the most part, was successful in gaining increased funding for defense.

Although inflation dropped from 13.5% in 1980 to 5.1% in 1982, a severe recession set in, with unemployment exceeding 10% in October, 1982 for the first time in forty years. The administration modified its economic policy after two years by proposing selected tax increases and budget cuts to control rising deficits and higher interest rates. After the 1982 downturn, the reduced inflation rate (under 5% for the remainder of the administration) sparked record economic growth, and produced one of the lowest unemployment rates in modern U.S. history (unemployment hit a 14 year low in June of 1988). As Reagan left office, the nation was experiencing its sixth consecutive year of economic prosperity.

The economic gains, however, came at a cost of a record annual deficit and a ballooning national debt. The budget deficit was exacerbated by a trade deficit. Americans continued to buy more foreign-made goods than they were selling. Reagan, however adhered to his free trade stance, and signed an agreement to that effect with Canada. He also signed, reluctantly, trade legislation designed to open foreign markets to U.S. goods.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, National Archives and Records Administration

Clinton lied last night? You only caught one of several dozen, but good catch anyway

Yes there were many. This is only one, from a man that is a proven liar. ;)

Are you familiar with the term STAGFLATION? Look it up, you may find the the challenges faced by President Carter were not of his doing (or continue your mission with the Ministry of Truth).

No, all of you have said, falsely, that RR did so, when in fact his silly Friedman policies prolonged it for more than three years.

Of course, I am Republican, not a Reaganite. No good Republican is a Reaganite today, for we would never elected such a liberal to anytihing: increasing taxes, letting the deficit increase 17 times, cozing up with the Russians. No no.

Check the dates of legislation, spending, and recovery, then come back and admit you are a toid.

The untruth of your post returns to you. I've already shown Reagan restored a worse recession in less than half the time Obama had.

It's all the smoke and mirrors the Dems are spewing.

Starkey, you are most definitely not a Republican. Why do you continue to lie about it??

Last edited:

Are you familiar with the term STAGFLATION? Look it up, you may find the the challenges faced by President Carter were not of his doing (or continue your mission with the Ministry of Truth).

Sure those challenges weren't his fault. :lol: So tell me again how Reagan eliminated stagflation so quickly when Carter had so much trouble with it.

Gosh, you historical revisionists really make me nostalgic for the Reagan gas shortages, the job losses, the enormous increase in the deficit.

Reagan put us deeper in debt than all other presidents combined.

And then he left for another vacation.

The gas shortages were during Jimmy Carter's regime. I don't remember any during Reagan's 8 years.

After 1980, oil prices began a 20-year decline down to a 60 percent price drop in the 1990s. Oil exporters such as Mexico, Nigeria, and Venezuela expanded production ; USSR became the first world producer, and North Sea and Alaskan oil flooded onto the market.

After 36 months of failed Friedman programs, Reagan finally gave in to tax revenues and increased defense spending. Worked.

Gosh, you historical revisionists really make me nostalgic for the Reagan gas shortages, the job losses, the enormous increase in the deficit.

Reagan put us deeper in debt than all other presidents combined.

And then he left for another vacation.

The gas shortages were during Jimmy Carter's regime. I don't remember any during Reagan's 8 years.

After 1980, oil prices began a 20-year decline down to a 60 percent price drop in the 1990s. Oil exporters such as Mexico, Nigeria, and Venezuela expanded production ; USSR became the first world producer, and North Sea and Alaskan oil flooded onto the market.

There weren't any, these libs are idiots.

Start with naturegirl for posting her source. She made the affirmation, I corrected her, and you want me to post my source.

Not how it works.

But look up Unemployment in October 1983 and come back and tell us what it was. Hmmm?

After 36 months of failed Friedman programs, Reagan finally gave in to tax revenues and increased defense spending. Worked.

Post your source and tell us how you were personally affected by Reagan...I think you are about twenty and making shit up as you go.

Start with naturegirl for posting her source. She made the affirmation, I corrected her, and you want me to post my source.

Not how it works.

But look up Unemployment in October 1983 and come back and tell us what it was. Hmmm?

Post your source and tell us how you were personally affected by Reagan...I think you are about twenty and making shit up as you go.

No, I asked you for yours.

I asked knowing you had none...and knowing you weren't even alive during the time.

You are dismissed.

Nope, you get to ask for nothing, because I was responding to naturegirl's incorrect information.

You have nothing to add.

Nope, you get to ask for nothing, because I was responding to naturegirl's incorrect information.

You have nothing to add.

Sweetie, my links are in my first post. You have nothing, you're full of crap!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I lived through Carter, in fact he was the last Dem I voted for. I didn't live in Georgia then, I actually lived in Chicago.

Reagan's recession was tough but not as tough as this one. I have been through both as well as the oil embargos. The bushies' wild west escapades domestically and internationally damn near broke the country. Obama has managed to not destroy the country but that is not enough. Romney is going to have to turn it around, or he will be a one-term president, and if he is, the changing demographics in our county will make the last Republican president in American history.

Sweetie, this one is harder because Washington has no clue how to end it. My stats didn't fail, Reagan fixed a worse economy in 17 months.

Your stats lie by giving Reagan credit for the recovery. As I showed to you, Reagan had nothing to do with it. The Fed created the recession to tame the inflation, then the Fed turned it off.

And -- this is ironic -- those policies ultimately caused the depression we have now. Too low an inflation left the Fed powerless to stop it. That is why Obama had to come up with emergency measures, like the stimulus, only to stop the economic downfall. It was not enough to make the economy recover all the lost ground, and Republicans are at fault for blocking any further measures, like providing aid to the states, so they don't have to layoff teachers and firefighters.

Republicans were also bullying the Fed, trying to block its attempts to help the recovery.

Last edited:

You have nothing to add.

Meaning you don't know shit about shit and are simply content to lie.

You are dismissed kid.

JS is just a lying troll. Nobody listens to him or expects him to support any of the ridiculous shit he says anymore.

He lies about everything, and he NEVER supports his off the wall extremist claptrap.

Oh, and he's not a Republican. That's a lie too.

Reagan was allowed to triple the debt to force a recovery. He did not have to contend with massive layoffs in the public sector while he was trying to cut the unemployment rate

Would you give a monetary amount (including inflation) that Reagan spent over his 8 years and compare that to what Obama has spent in 3+ years?
I'll be waiting, Leftwinger. :eusa_whistle:

Percentage wise Reagan more than doubled the debt.
And we turned into a debtor nation.

Actaully he did not, Regan goes like this, grow the government(adds job) military spending(unfunded added to debt) also OBAMA care, was and IS a regan plan, look it up.

so it looked good on the surface, but what was left was a huge credit card debt that had to be paid back later, hence why bush #1 lost. also under regan PRIVATE job growth was stalled and didnt really start to grow again until clinton. once again, you can look it up, and if you cant, I will do so for you. Also I heard on for news "dems need to stop living in the past" they need to stop trumpting clinton and also stop blaming bush, then in the next sentence they add a regan comment and blame clinton. Naturegirl I will gladly debate you on here, your ideas are very feeble and unsound. so lets start this thing off, what about regan do you like? as I just explained a few things to you. do you still like them?

Forum List

Back