17 million cars sold this year for the first time since 2001 — and only the third year ever

I'm glad Obama didn't let the auto industry go bankrupt. Aren't you? Thank God we didn't listen to Romney.

1) imagine how strong our industry would be if it had gone bankrupt
2) maybe most of the auto jobs in the USA would not be jobs with foreign companies
3) still 17 million is a lot considering Obama is president. It would probably be 25 million if not for him.

I'm glad Obama didn't let the auto industry go bankrupt. Aren't you? Thank God we didn't listen to Romney.

1) imagine how strong our industry would be if it had gone bankrupt
2) maybe most of the auto jobs in the USA would not be jobs with foreign companies
3) still 17 million is a lot considering Obama is president. It would probably be 25 million if not for him.

You mean it wouldn't exist if not for him. What you said is backed up by zero proof.

2015 U.S. auto sales on pace to eclipse 2014 - Tire Business - The Tire Dealer s No. 1 News Source

The National Automobile Dealers Association this week increased its forecast for new light-vehicle deliveries in 2015 to 17.2 million from 16.9 million. The NADA is also projecting U.S. sales will rise to 17.6 million in 2016, toppling the record of 17.4 million established in 2000.
The whole industry wouldn't have gone bankrupt you hack just the shitty companies like GM
OMG. You don't know do you?

Take away a couple of the car companies and the suppliers go bankrupt. Republicans are supposed to know "trickle down". What companies like GM brings to the economy "trickles down". Try to figure out why.

I'm sure the other solvent car companies would have picked up the slack and those suppliers would have been just fine because the other companies current suppliers would most likely nt be able to pick up all the extra business

GM is not the be all end all of car companies in this country you know

Or maybe you don't know
Picked up the slack? What are you talking about. All those unemployed. That means no one is buying cars. Are you about 13 or 14? Cuz it seems you don't know very much or how things work.

People obviously have been buying cars over the last 8 years and if one company goes under the others will get the business

And you say I don't know how things work.

why do you hate this corporation but worship others?
For one I don't "hate " or "worship" any corporation

And if a business can't stay solvent it isn't any of the fucking government's business and tax payers are not responsible for propping them up.

There is no emotion whatsoever involved.
Republicans deregulated and we all suffered.
Please feel free to post the specific deregulations that were signed into law under the last republican president.

And if a business can't stay solvent it isn't any of the fucking government's business and tax payers are not responsible for propping them up.

Please feel free to post the specific deregulations that were signed into law under the last republican president.
Repeal of Glass-Steagall Caused the Financial Crisis - US News

In 1999, Democrats led by President Bill Clinton and Republicans led by Sen. Phil Gramm joined forces to repeal Glass-Steagall at the behest of the big banks. What happened over the next eight years was an almost exact replay of the Roaring Twenties. Once again, banks originated fraudulent loans and once again they sold them to their customers in the form of securities. The bubble peaked in 2007 and collapsed in 2008. The hard-earned knowledge of 1933 had been lost in the arrogance of 1999.

-----------------------
Republicans controlled both houses the presidency and the Supreme Court for nearly 5 years. The same way that Iraq and Afghanistan are Obama's fault, the Recession is Bush's fault. The difference is that Bush had some support from Democrats, which truly makes it his fault. Obama has had zero support from Republicans on everything. Which makes him responsible for very little. Obama is just one person.

I suspect Clinton was blackmailed the way Obama was:

Unemployment benefits not until Bush tax cuts pass Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

Democrats can be blackmailed because they care about other Americans. Republicans don't have that problem.

This whole thread is fantasy!

Regardless of what you think of Ford, it didn't take the bailout. It SURVIVES to this day, even as many of GMs bills were wiped away, putting Ford in a much less competitive position because of cost per vehicle passed down. In other words, legacy costs.

Toyota, Honda, and the rest never had legacy costs. And yet, when we see a true lib driving around, what are they driving? Why a Toyota Prius of course!!!!! In other words.....libs chose what they wanted to drive under Americas system, and then they FORCED the American taxpayer to bail out other car companies for political reasons.

A funny thing happened after the bail outs. Fords sales went up because they did NOT take taxpayer money. Thinking individuals would guess that it was mostly conservative republicans that flocked to them because they didn't take tax payer dollars, since as we can see, libs are all for it.

And what is some of the hysterical fallout of GM being bailed out?

Well, how about the government talked them into building more volts and electric cars, eventhough they can't sell them, lol. And, this is with the government giving away MORE taxpayer money to subsidize the purchase of these vehicles. And the lib? The lib! Why he/she is still buying Toyota Priuses; sitting there waiting for the next crisis so as they can tell you, just how important it is you bail out a corporation with YOUR money, that they don't even support.

And libs, why don't you tell the people of this board how much the person who built your Prius/Corrolla/Accord/Leaf/ etc, as opposed to those who make GMs or Fords?

See, you people are LOWERING wages, then cry to the rest of us about what we are doing. In other words, "do as I say, and not as I do!" YOU are the problem, because the policies you support, have no correlation to reality; not even YOUR own reality!!!!!!!

There is zero evidence this change unleashed the financial crisis. If you tally the institutions that ran into severe problems in 2008-09, the list includes Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, AIG, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, none of which would have come under Glass-Steagall’s restrictions. Even President Obama has recently acknowledged that “there is not evidence that having Glass-Steagall in place would somehow change the dynamic.”

As for the FDIC-insured commercial banks that ran into trouble, the record is also clear: what got them into trouble were not activities restricted by Glass-Steagall. Their problems arose from investments in residential mortgages and residential mortgage-backed securities—investments they had always been free to engage in.

Now you know why even the liberal's didn't try to reinstate Glass Steagall in Dodd-Frank or anywhere!!

In 1999, Democrats led by President Bill Clinton and Republicans led by Sen. Phil Gramm joined forces to repeal Glass-Steagall at the behest of the big banks. What happened over the next eight years was an almost exact replay of the Roaring Twenties. Once again, banks originated fraudulent loans and once again they sold them to their customers in the form of securities. The bubble peaked in 2007 and collapsed in 2008. The hard-earned knowledge of 1933 had been lost in the arrogance of 1999.

-----------------------
Republicans controlled both houses the presidency and the Supreme Court for nearly 5 years. The same way that Iraq and Afghanistan are Obama's fault, the Recession is Bush's fault. The difference is that Bush had some support from Democrats, which truly makes it his fault. Obama has had zero support from Republicans on everything. Which makes him responsible for very little. Obama is just one person.

Unemployment benefits not until Bush tax cuts pass Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

Democrats can be blackmailed because they care about other Americans. Republicans don't have that problem.

Who signed Glass Steagall into law?

Oh yeah that would have been Billy boy Clinton

A democrat in case you forgot

And since when are tax cuts deregulation?

-----------------------

So what? Republicans had both houses and the Supreme court for nearly 5 years and did nothing to help the country. Who made the deficit creating Bush Tax Cuts? Who didn't want to extend them? Obama. Why didn't he? Blackmail:

Remember, Nixon opened China. So is moving millions of jobs to China his fault? Of course not.

The difference is Republicans under Bush could have made laws to help the country but didn't when it comes to economics.

But when it comes to Iraq and Afghanistan, troops were in those countries when Bush left office. Obama couldn't just pick up and leave. Try to figure out why. We are going to get these ignorant right wingers to think if it's the last thing we do.

Today the world faces the ability to produce far more autos than consumers can afford to buy. It would be wise to pay attention as to who is buying these cars and how they are paying for them before getting to excited. For a long time I have had a problem as economist and others have pointed to the auto industry as proof that the American economy is on the mend. The facts behind what is pushing this market forward are very disturbing.

Over 31% of all new auto loans this year were to subprime borrowers. Pretending to sell automobiles to people either dependent on money from the government or no means to pay for that automobile is not a good business idea. The Federal Reserve has been pumping in trillions of dollars of liquidity into the economy and much of it has resulted in pulling future consumption forward. More on how this will soon become a headwind to both future sales and growth in the article below.

http://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2015/01/unemployed-students-buying-new-cars.html

The difference is Republicans under Bush could have made laws to help the country but didn't when it comes to economics.

dear, Bush and Republicans then were liberal so your argument is 100% idiotic. What laws could liberals pass to help the country given that liberals are not capitalist??

See why we say liberalism is based in pure ignorance. What other conclusion is possible??

Obama couldn't just pick up and leave. .

dear, Obama did just pick up and leave Iraq and that created ISIS and the total chaos we see today in the ME. Even Barry learned the lesson and did not make the same mistake in Afghanistan.

Do you understand??

2015 U.S. auto sales on pace to eclipse 2014 - Tire Business - The Tire Dealer s No. 1 News Source

The National Automobile Dealers Association this week increased its forecast for new light-vehicle deliveries in 2015 to 17.2 million from 16.9 million. The NADA is also projecting U.S. sales will rise to 17.6 million in 2016, toppling the record of 17.4 million established in 2000.
I wonder how many of the sales involved trade-ins of recall-ladened GMs

-----------------------

So what? Republicans had both houses and the Supreme court for nearly 5 years and did nothing to help the country. Who made the deficit creating Bush Tax Cuts? Who didn't want to extend them? Obama. Why didn't he? Blackmail:

Remember, Nixon opened China. So is moving millions of jobs to China his fault? Of course not.

But when it comes to Iraq and Afghanistan, troops were in those countries when Bush left office. Obama couldn't just pick up and leave. Try to figure out why. We are going to get these ignorant right wingers to think if it's the last thing we do.

Sorry Hack

The president who signs the law owns it and the consequences of it. So even though you want to stick your fingers in your ears and say "La LA LA LA" Clinton is responsible for the deregulation that was a major player in the melt down of the economy.

And tax cuts are NOT deregulation

Just admit you're wrong on both counts you're just embarrassing yourself even more than usual now.

And WTF does Afghanistan have to do with deregulation?

Sorry to repeat myself, but GM and Chrysler DID go bankrupt! What Barry did was to prevent implementation of the law.

Some product lines in GM surely would have survived because they are profitable. The UAW contracts would have been scrapped and re-negotiated under changed circumstances. The proceeds from the sale of assets would have proceeded according to applicable law.

People would still be buying cars and someone would be building them. Even if a million GM & Chrysler people lost their jobs, that is not enough to cause a national economic catastrophe. Life goes on.

And when talking about autos, let us remind ourselves how the "All seeing, all knowing, all economic genius" Karnak.......errr I mean Barry......err I mean Obysmal, put up that economic wonderment called, "cash for clunkers!" Yes, we must never, ever, never ever, ever never forget how his wonderful program RAISED the prices on all cars, and hurt the poorest in this nation the most.

But when you are an economic "Einstein" to your contituents, nobody ever questions anything; especially the economic illiterates that belong to his party.

And when talking about autos, let us remind ourselves how the "All seeing, all knowing, all economic genius" Karnak.......errr I mean Barry......err I mean Obysmal, put up that economic wonderment called, "cash for clunkers!" Yes, we must never, ever, never ever, ever never forget how his wonderful program RAISED the prices on all cars, and hurt the poorest in this nation the most.

But when you are an economic "Einstein" to your contituents, nobody ever questions anything; especially the economic illiterates that belong to his party.

what could be more embarrassing for liberals and unions than to have bankrupted our auto industry in the north only to see it come back down south, foreign owned, where there are no liberals and unions?

If liberalism was illegal as our Founders intended we would not have lost the auto industry. Oops!!

So car sales haven't increased in 15 years?

Forum List

Back