15 year old has new "Pledge of Allegiance"

Your information is not about the national holiday it is about a one of many times that there was a "day of thanks" offered by an official. If you actually looked up the history you would find:

Thanksgiving in the United States was observed on various dates throughout history. From the time of the Founding Fathers until the time of Lincoln, the date Thanksgiving was observed varied from state to state. The final Thursday in November had become the customary date in most U.S. states by the beginning of the 19th century. Thanksgiving was first celebrated on the same date by all states in 1863 by a presidential proclamation of Abraham Lincoln. Influenced by the campaigning of author Sarah Josepha Hale, who wrote letters to politicians for around 40 years trying to make it an official holiday, Lincoln proclaimed the date to be the final Thursday in November in an attempt to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states.[25] Because of the ongoing Civil War and the Confederate States of America's refusal to recognize Lincoln's authority, a nationwide Thanksgiving date was not realized until Reconstruction was completed in the 1870s.

On December 26, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a joint resolution of Congress changing the national Thanksgiving Day from the last Thursday in November to the fourth Thursday. Two years earlier, Roosevelt had used a presidential proclamation to try to achieve this change, reasoning that earlier celebration of the holiday would give the country an economic boost.

Thanksgiving Day, currently celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November by federal legislation in 1941, has been an annual tradition in the United States by presidential proclamation since 1863 and by state legislation since the Founding Fathers of the United States. Historically, Thanksgiving began as a tradition of celebrating the harvest of the year.

George Washington

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born

February 22, 1732
Westmoreland, Virginia, British America

I did make a mistake on the date of Washington's death but it was still before Thanksgiving was a national holiday.

Died

December 14, 1799 (aged 67)
Mount Vernon, Virginia, U.S.
Wow talk about deflection at it's absolute worst.. Its so obvious ...LOL

The entire point is being missed (probably by design) by the respondent. It doesn't matter a hill of beans WHEN Thanksgiving became a Holiday - who cares?

What matters is that it was a statement issued by a Godly man, George Washington, one of the principle founders of this great nation, that gave God the glory for our founding of a nation (America) - just as the rest of the founding fathers did.

Again, I have NEVER said that we are a "Christian" nation. We are NOT. However, for anyone, in their right mind, to say that America was not founded on Judeo-Christian ideals and principles is ignoring the simple fact that the large majority of the founding fathers were Christian men who understood the importance of establishing this nation with a solid bedrock foundation.

Looking at this country today, the way the ideal and principles that this country were founded upon have been bludgeoned to death by the left, and the attempts by the left to remove any and all references to "Christianity" by brainwashing our children in schools to believe that the founding fathers were awful, terrible men, is it any wonder why people come out so vehemently fighting the notion that we were (at least) once - a good and noble place?
They have to exclude anything that was part of the forming, because they figure any part of it is also just as guilty as well, so in their minds certain things must go (except for what they want to stay), in order to complete the fundamental transformation. They (the extreme ones I think) want a nation that gives no reference to the content of it's founding's character someday, as they feel it will then make curious those who would hear these men's names, would want to know more about whom it is that they were as characters you see, and once they find that out, then they'll want to know more and more and more and more. You see it being done here, and you see how you have to contend with such, so it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
I would like to remind everyone that this is the Clean Debate zone.

"Civil discourse is the focus here, regardless of topic matter. Constructive criticism and debate is the tone. No negative repping. No insulting, name calling, or putting down other posters. Consider it a lesson in Civics."

Follow the rules.

No big deal. God prefers that we pray in secret anyway.

Matt 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matt 10:27
What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs.

:eusa_pray:
That isn't related to prayer. Nowhere does he tell us to force everyone (non-believers) to stop and be quiet so that we can pray.

He also tells us to:

Proverbs 12:16

The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

Remember that the next time you want to call me a POS.

I'll do it every single time anybody uses the dead to make a political point

OK Brother....whatever you say. Years and years ago I came to the conclusion that it is impossible to fix stupid. I'll leave you to your own devices now. Have a nice day.

No wonder unbelievers don't like Christians. They don't act like it.

James 4:11-12

Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
Cherry picking the bible eh ? This is why people need to study the entire word, then they would be enlightened to the word better, and the time periods in which words are spoken within the word, and how they represent the events and people at different periods or as within the events that are found within the book as told about when read, and how through out time the word does progress as the people progressed in their thoughts and within their actions taken, in which the word does apply to them always and just as well.

I have studied the entire word, and the things that Jesus said back then apply to us now, too. Are you saying that the verse I quoted does not apply today?

Other than that, I don't really know what you are trying to point out.

Matt 10:27
What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs.

:eusa_pray:
That isn't related to prayer. Nowhere does he tell us to force everyone (non-believers) to stop and be quiet so that we can pray.

He also tells us to:

Proverbs 12:16

The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

Remember that the next time you want to call me a POS.

I'll do it every single time anybody uses the dead to make a political point

I'm sure you'll be exempted due to your righteous indignation. LOL! Is that what you call Bush, since he is responsible for the death of 4000+ trying to make a political point?

No wonder unbelievers don't like Christians. They don't act like it.

James 4:11-12

Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
Cherry picking the bible eh ? This is why people need to study the entire word, then they would be enlightened to the word better, and the time periods in which words are spoken within the word, and how they represent the events and people at different periods or as within the events that are found within the book as told about when read, and how through out time the word does progress as the people progressed in their thoughts and within their actions taken, in which the word does apply to them always and just as well.

I have studied the entire word, and the things that Jesus said back then apply to us now, too. Are you saying that the verse I quoted does not apply today?

Just pointing out that you are cherry picking the bible in order to make a political and/or personal point/opinion/attack towards and/or upon something, and this what maybe to make it more relevant and true in your mind as applied to, when in fact the quote may not be restrained to a simplistic way of thinking as you try and restrain it to, that's all I'm saying.

Just pointing out that you are cherry picking the bible in order to make a political and/or personal point/opinion/attack towards and/or upon something, and this what maybe to make it more relevant and true in your mind as applied to, when in fact the quote may not be restrained to a simplistic way of thinking as you try and restrain it to, that's all I'm saying.

So, you are saying that it is okay for Christians to insult others, because the verse that I quoted only relates to the people that Jesus was speaking to at the time?
Well, you sure are needing to study the entire word, so that you won't be making those kind of erroneous observations.

15 year old kid takes notice of this "modern world"
This young fellow from Arizona received an A for his effort.

New Pledge of Allegiance

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites,
it violates the Bill Of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or
green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom
scene..
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious
vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith
at all..
In silence alone we must meditate
God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like
freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and
cheeks..
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the
Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me
liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the "unwed daddy", our Senior
King.
It's "inappropriate" to teach right from
wrong,
We're taught that such "judgements" do
not belong..

We get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem
poles..
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd

It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; my soul to take!

Amen

Indoctrinated much?

Your information is not about the national holiday it is about a one of many times that there was a "day of thanks" offered by an official. If you actually looked up the history you would find:

Thanksgiving in the United States was observed on various dates throughout history. From the time of the Founding Fathers until the time of Lincoln, the date Thanksgiving was observed varied from state to state. The final Thursday in November had become the customary date in most U.S. states by the beginning of the 19th century. Thanksgiving was first celebrated on the same date by all states in 1863 by a presidential proclamation of Abraham Lincoln. Influenced by the campaigning of author Sarah Josepha Hale, who wrote letters to politicians for around 40 years trying to make it an official holiday, Lincoln proclaimed the date to be the final Thursday in November in an attempt to foster a sense of American unity between the Northern and Southern states.[25] Because of the ongoing Civil War and the Confederate States of America's refusal to recognize Lincoln's authority, a nationwide Thanksgiving date was not realized until Reconstruction was completed in the 1870s.

On December 26, 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a joint resolution of Congress changing the national Thanksgiving Day from the last Thursday in November to the fourth Thursday. Two years earlier, Roosevelt had used a presidential proclamation to try to achieve this change, reasoning that earlier celebration of the holiday would give the country an economic boost.

Thanksgiving Day, currently celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November by federal legislation in 1941, has been an annual tradition in the United States by presidential proclamation since 1863 and by state legislation since the Founding Fathers of the United States. Historically, Thanksgiving began as a tradition of celebrating the harvest of the year.

George Washington

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born

February 22, 1732
Westmoreland, Virginia, British America

I did make a mistake on the date of Washington's death but it was still before Thanksgiving was a national holiday.

Died

December 14, 1799 (aged 67)
Mount Vernon, Virginia, U.S.
Wow talk about deflection at it's absolute worst.. Its so obvious ...LOL

The entire point is being missed (probably by design) by the respondent. It doesn't matter a hill of beans WHEN Thanksgiving became a Holiday - who cares?

What matters is that it was a statement issued by a Godly man, George Washington, one of the principle founders of this great nation, that gave God the glory for our founding of a nation (America) - just as the rest of the founding fathers did.

Again, I have NEVER said that we are a "Christian" nation. We are NOT. However, for anyone, in their right mind, to say that America was not founded on Judeo-Christian ideals and principles is ignoring the simple fact that the large majority of the founding fathers were Christian men who understood the importance of establishing this nation with a solid bedrock foundation.

Looking at this country today, the way the ideal and principles that this country were founded upon have been bludgeoned to death by the left, and the attempts by the left to remove any and all references to "Christianity" by brainwashing our children in schools to believe that the founding fathers were awful, terrible men, is it any wonder why people come out so vehemently fighting the notion that we were (at least) once - a good and noble place?

If anything liberals are responsible for preserving and protecting the ideals and principles this Nation was founded upon – it’s not liberals who are seeking to deny same-sex couples their equal protection rights, or women their privacy rights.

Since Brown v. Board of Education liberals have fought for the rights and civil liberties of all Americans, while conservatives, for the most part, have advocated for greater government control at the expense of individual liberty.

And no one is ‘brainwashing’ children to believe the Framers were ‘awful, terrible men,’ no one is seeking to remove any and all references to Christianity; Establishment Clause jurisprudence is clear and concise with regard to when religion is appropriate in the public sector and when it is not.

So, you are saying that it is okay for Christians to insult others, because the verse that I quoted only relates to the people that Jesus was speaking to at the time?
Well, you sure are needing to study the entire word, so that you won't be making those kind of erroneous observations.
So you assign these things to me, what so you can virtually answer your self when the time comes ? This is a tactic by the left, where as they pick a target, then they have a conversation with that target, but the only thing is, is that the target is actually not a part of the conversation as found within the conversation in which they are having with themselves...LOL

So you assign these things to me, what so you can virtually answer your self when the time comes ? This is a tactic by the left, where as they pick a target, then they have a conversation with that target, but the only thing is, is that the target is actually not a part of the conversation as found within the conversation in which they are having with themselves...LOL

Ha,ha, you can't deflect. You responded to the post where I was responding to someone else, thereby making yourself part of the conversation.

XXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
Can these people not function through a 6 hour school day without having to pray or worship or meditate. Maybe they need to start going to Church more often. Maybe open it up Tuesday and Thurday evenings. Or do these people feel the need to do this continually all the time. They are already free to worship their gods and religion in their homes and no one is trying to take way their churches, mosques and Synagogues. I'm also guessing that these people who want the freedom to promote their religion in public places would froth at the mouth if other religions were allowed to do the same thing.

Kid is an idiot.

Is that right? Why? Because he upsets your "progressive" sense of "values"???

The kid is a modern day prophet and you prove it.

Pretty sure no one is gonna call the Feds if you pray in school - and you shouldn't be praying in school, anyway.

Why not? What possible convoluted logic can you use to claim that you should check your religion at the door when you attend school? That is simply asinine.

Further, this is an artistic rendition. It is not going to be perfect. Poking holes in the fact that the feds will not be called when you pray is a pathetic attempt to sidestep the very real issue that this bring s up – a student that feels his faith is not allowed in schools today.

The writer makes a very strong point. It might be wrong but the only thing that has been brought against them so far is an ad homonym, not exactly a powerful counterpoint.

Can these people not function through a 6 hour school day without having to pray or worship or meditate. Maybe they need to start going to Church more often. Maybe open it up Tuesday and Thurday evenings. Or do these people feel the need to do this continually all the time. They are already free to worship their gods and religion in their homes and no one is trying to take way their churches, mosques and Synagogues. I'm also guessing that these people who want the freedom to promote their religion in public places would froth at the mouth if other religions were allowed to do the same thing.

Does it matter?

I don’t care if they can or cannot function without praying for 6 hours, that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that requiring them not to is a clear violation of their rights.

We live in a secular nation.

Get over it.

What does that have to do with anything?

A secular nation is one that is not based on religious institutions, not one that suppresses religion in its people. Everyone is already over us being secular. What they are not over is the asinine way everyone wants to enforce law against others practices because they are ‘offended’ when they see religious people.

We live in a republic that guarantees the right to practice your faith - ANY FAITH - anywhere and anytime that you feel called to do so. Prayer is allowed in schools. Prayer led by the staff members of the school are not.

The difference is that prayer cannot be a mandatory school function while individual prayer is acceptable.

Does it matter?

I don’t care if they can or cannot function without praying for 6 hours, that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that requiring them not to is a clear violation of their rights.
No it isn't. It is a violation of the rights of those who do not practice that religion. Every single christan on the board would be up in arms if a muslim child demanded to read his verses or pray toward mecca during a lesson plan. How about another student writing down Satanic verses on the playground? You all feel so oppressed because it is your religion but if another person from another religion demanded those exact same rights you would all be singing a different tune. Hypocrites

I thought the kid did a great job, myself.

I did, too. Research shows that this kid wrote this in 2002 and submitted it in a Civics (you know, those classes that SOME of us took way back when)class and he received an A for the work.

I have to laugh at the way the "left" immediately jumped in, with both feet, to tell us all how "stupid and idiotic" this kid is/was.

I'm 68 years old. I have seen this country go from being the absolute envy of the world to the laughing stock of the world in a matter of some 50 years. What was once "tradition" that celebrated living in this great country, has now become the "hatred of the left".

These days we celebrate the freaks, the clowns, the different, the "non-conforming", the outliers, the lazy, the "non-traditional" and ANYTHING that tears down the fabric of this nation. We celebrate those who want nothing to do with building up - only destroying - as evidenced by the rapid reaction of the respondents here.

I fully expected this very response. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that most of these "angst-ridden gutter travelers" are probably public school "teachers" - the very essence of failure.

But if that flower with base infection meet,
The basest weed outbraves his dignity:
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
Lilies that fester, smell far worse than weeds.

Forum List

Back