$15 Minimum Wage Is Speeding Up the ERA of Automation

I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!
I've preferred using human cashiers to the automated versions, mostly because I realize that such machines can (and will) replace the check-out clerks. Unfortunately, there are factions about who fail to understand that businesses are not charities. People who start and run businesses are in business for one primary purpose...make money. If government mandates are issued that force business owners to become charities, many will cease to exist, many others will find another way to cut costs and make money. Rather than discouraging business, truly concerned persons would be finding ways to encourage them to be brought into existence, or to have companies bring jobs back to the US.
Funny how it's Republicans who think businesses are charities. They say cut taxes on corporations and they will create jobs. Try to explain supply and demand they they will laugh at that "wild" liberal theory. Try to explain that they will simply divide it up among their stockholders or send it off shore to avoid paying taxes and they will say, so what? It's their money.
Business will only create jobs if there is a market demand and people with money. They don't just create jobs because they have money. That would be charity.

Guy, here's the thing. We shouldn't base our economy on what is just good for the 1% that own businesses. seriously, the world works a lot better when everyone is well-paid for their labor.

Well, Joe....

Just how do you base it on anything else ?

The 1% own the place...they make the rules.

That sounds like the mentality of a slave.

YOu know, the rest of the world doesn't work like that, and we didn't work like that 40 years ago. The rich paid their fair share and followed the rules.

Guy, here's the thing. We shouldn't base our economy on what is just good for the 1% that own businesses. seriously, the world works a lot better when everyone is well-paid for their labor.

Well, Joe....

Just how do you base it on anything else ?

The 1% own the place...they make the rules.

That sounds like the mentality of a slave.

YOu know, the rest of the world doesn't work like that, and we didn't work like that 40 years ago. The rich paid their fair share and followed the rules.

I've noticed your lack of practical solutions.

Maybe a slave....but a realistic one.

I've notice a number of retailers outting in self serve check outs here in the last 6 months. People are using them and for every 4 that go in, it looks like they are replacing around 6 people. Good going, guys!
I've preferred using human cashiers to the automated versions, mostly because I realize that such machines can (and will) replace the check-out clerks. Unfortunately, there are factions about who fail to understand that businesses are not charities. People who start and run businesses are in business for one primary purpose...make money. If government mandates are issued that force business owners to become charities, many will cease to exist, many others will find another way to cut costs and make money. Rather than discouraging business, truly concerned persons would be finding ways to encourage them to be brought into existence, or to have companies bring jobs back to the US.
Funny how it's Republicans who think businesses are charities. They say cut taxes on corporations and they will create jobs. Try to explain supply and demand they they will laugh at that "wild" liberal theory. Try to explain that they will simply divide it up among their stockholders or send it off shore to avoid paying taxes and they will say, so what? It's their money.
Business will only create jobs if there is a market demand and people with money. They don't just create jobs because they have money. That would be charity.

Your analysis is great except that it isn't just republicans who behave this way.

While the left does lip service to the cause, they behave no differently than those who worship at the feet of corporate gods.

I've noticed your lack of practical solutions.

Maybe a slave....but a realistic one.

I've given practical solutions.

Go back to strong unions, strong trade treaties, strong regulation and make the rich pay their fair share.

Done.

Strong Unions....how....through legislation ?

Strong trade treaties....I agree we need more consistency.....but won't do much for many.

Strong regulation ??????

If you make the rich pay their fair share, you'll have to cut their taxes. Do you really want to do that ?

Strong trade treaties....I agree we need more consistency.....but won't do much for many.

Strong regulation ??????

If you make the rich pay their fair share, you'll have to cut their taxes. Do you really want to do that ?

Every work place over 50 people is required to have either union representation or a works council. Incidently, I think the the American model of national unions with locals isn't necessarily the best. The model the Germans and Japanese have of Works Councils actually would probably be better.

A trade treaty that doesn't force Americans to compete with slave labor would be fine. I also like my idea of shaming off-shorers.

The rich paid their fair share before Reagan. The country worked better when they did.

"
Well, that would be violating the terms of the agreement you made with your employer.
You don't get to say "yes, I accept" then after you find you had a lapse in judgement or you decided to create a couple of new kids go back to your boss and scream DO OVER!
No, any employer who finds a worker who is not pulling their weight will send that person packing and replace them with someone who will produce.
Pretend to pay? No, you accepted the employment agreement. You are getting paid the amount that YOU agreed to.....That's called a CHOICE"

At7.25 an hour any employer with half a brain realizes that minimum wage = minimum productivity. At 7.25 an hour an employer knows they are not going to find workers who are all that productive. And at 7.25 an hour an employer knows that any productive worker is going to be walking away from that job rather quickly.

Oh?......If there were no automation, Amazon would employ twice that number.
This does not apply to Amazon as their distribution centers are staffed by semi skilled and skilled workers. There are no positions for the fast food type worker.

If automation were anywhere close to what you loons believe it is, Amazon could run on a couple thousand people.

Pickers in a distribution are somehow different than fast food workers? How so?
re read my previous post.
Amazon does not hire low level no skill workers.

How much skill does it take to pick an item and put it into a basket or fries into a bag?
Fries are not served at Amazon

Wanna bet!

Amazon.com Andy Capp s Big Bag Fries Hot 8-Ounce Pack of 8

Those aren't fries, you bucket-headed jackass.

Strong regulation ??????

Every work place over 50 people is required to have either union representation or a works council. Incidently, I think the the American model of national unions with locals isn't necessarily the best. The model the Germans and Japanese have of Works Councils actually would probably be better.

A trade treaty that doesn't force Americans to compete with slave labor would be fine. I also like my idea of shaming off-shorers.

The rich paid their fair share before Reagan. The country worked better when they did.
So you want the federal government to wipe out RTW laws? Ya know the ones that more states, county's and some small cities adopting ?

Just read this article, everything will go to automation, sooner or later.

This Bricklaying Robot Can Build A House In Two Days Popular Science

And what happens when it does?

Do you think folks will just happily starve because they are no longer needed?

Now, here's the thing. Capitalism probably worked reasonably well when it was labor intensive and you have a labor movement assuring a fair wage to working folks.

But if you get to a point where manufacturing or construction become like agriculture, a lot of stuff being done by very few people, you are going to have a problem.

We all can't sell Amway or Herbalife out of our houses.

So you want the federal government to wipe out RTW laws? Ya know the ones that more states, county's and some small cities adopting ?

Yes, I would get rid of RTW Laws, and require EVERY company and organization that employs 50 or more people to either have union representation or a worker's council made up of the employees.

But I'd go further. I would make it a law that every able bodied adult who wants a job should be able to get a job. If the private sector can't provide them, then the government should. This was something that FDR called for in his last "Inaugural Address" in 1945, along with another whacky idea, universal health care.

It's certainly a lot better than a system where a few people work for crappy pay, to make a very few people on the top ridiculously rich.

Forum List

Back