15 bills the House passed, but Reid refuses to schedule for votes

The House will be meeting for 108 days this upcoming year.

108 days.

They will be out of session more than 2/3 of the time.

Here is the Fox News article

So they get paid a 6 figure income to work less than 1/3 of the days in the year? Sounds like some fat cats could use a pay cut to me...how about you guys?

If the normalcy holds, 98% of them will be re-elected. We get the government we deserve.

You will enjoy this I think
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrhNFva-2g]Always Vote But NEVER REELECT! - YouTube[/ame]

I still see people claiming that the house hasn't passed any jobs bills under boener, what a dishonest talking point.

Maybe citizens aren't all that excited about more undertakers, grave diggers and chemotherapy technicians?

I still see people claiming that the house hasn't passed any jobs bills under boener, what a dishonest talking point.

I still claim that..

Not a single bill is an actual attempt to put Americans back to work. They are merely the same GOP hit list against the environment, healthcare and labor protections called job bills

Every one is merely.....If you do what we want, jobs may be created, but we are not promising anything

I still claim that..

Not a single bill is an actual attempt to put Americans back to work. They are merely the same GOP hit list against the environment, healthcare and labor protections called job bills

Every one is merely.....If you do what we want, jobs may be created, but we are not promising anything

I think you're right but there should be some mechanism by which one house has to at least consider the work of the other house and not just shelve the damn things. Our Congress just may come to a compromise if they actually discussed the bills.

Whats the old saying? Diapers and Politicians should be changed often and for the same reason.

I'm down with kicking all the bums out of congress and/or term limits on the house/senate.

I can't get along with term limits unless it is in the Constitution. I am for disallowing the rules of these two houses of Congress to be made by the characters running them. Party influence has gone from being disgusting to downright destructive by both parties. It is time to put an end to the inmates running the assylum. Be it Harry Reid, Tip O'Neil, or John Boehner (sp?).

I still claim that..

I think you're right but there should be some mechanism by which one house has to at least consider the work of the other house and not just shelve the damn things. Our Congress just may come to a compromise if they actually discussed the bills.

I agree.

Debate the bills.

Reach a concensus and vote on em.

If they pass they pass. If they don't then they don't.

At least they won't be sitting on a shelf gathering dust because one asshole decides to play God.

Whats the old saying? Diapers and Politicians should be changed often and for the same reason.

I'm down with kicking all the bums out of congress and/or term limits on the house/senate.

I can't get along with term limits unless it is in the Constitution. I am for disallowing the rules of these two houses of Congress to be made by the characters running them. Party influence has gone from being disgusting to downright destructive by both parties. It is time to put an end to the inmates running the assylum. Be it Harry Reid, Tip O'Neil, or John Boehner (sp?).

Thats cool but just remember presidents never had term limits in the constitution either.

I still claim that..

They had enough support from Dems to pass the House. Hell, a half those bills had dozens of Dem co-sponsors.

Thats cool but just remember presidents never had term limits in the constitution either.

Yep...only POTUS for more than two was FDR with 4.

That came to a halt with the 22nd.

I still claim that..

They had enough support from Dems to pass the House. Hell, a half those bills had dozens of Dem co-sponsors.

yup, exactly right. Reid has tabled them.

Look, its one thing to argue the bills content, you don't agree with the bills, fine, its wholly another to say there are no suggestions or no bills created to address said issue, yet thats what the media in general is putting out there, they are simply carrying Reids water.

A lot of these bills restrict the freedoms of the consumer, especially the bit about Net Neutrality.

Will we exchange freedom for safety?

I still claim that..

I agree.

Debate the bills.

Reach a concensus and vote on em.

If they pass they pass. If they don't then they don't.

At least they won't be sitting on a shelf gathering dust because one asshole decides to play God.

I believe that is what the spirit of the Constitution is, yes.

Hey, thats right. Thats why they call it the supreme law of the land. If it's in the Constitution that you have to keep your eyes closed between noon and two every day, that is the law.

Put it in the Constitution and I'm for it. In the mean time, you're telling me and others for whom I can vote based on nothing other than familiarity.

The constitution says each house sets its own rules. Every bill that is ever proposed simply cannot be voted upon. There are dozens, if not hundreds of bills that never make it out of committee, much less through one house, much less through both houses. In Utopia would every single bill get an up or down vote? Sure. But that's Utopia. Each house has to have the leeway to handle it's own business and make priority calls, just like the Executive has to have leeway to prioritize its own functions, etc.

The constitution says each house sets its own rules. Every bill that is ever proposed simply cannot be voted upon. There are dozens, if not hundreds of bills that never make it out of committee, much less through one house, much less through both houses. In Utopia would every single bill get an up or down vote? Sure. But that's Utopia. Each house has to have the leeway to handle it's own business and make priority calls, just like the Executive has to have leeway to prioritize its own functions, etc.

If it dies in committee so be it. That is the rule. If it passes the house and dies in the senate, so bet it. That is the rule. But the point is to vote on the thing. Shelving it because you're afraid you'll lose is not only wrong, it's very pussy-like. We're better than this as Americans.

As for your first point, I believe the framers assumed that the houses were capable of setting their own rules with an understanding that they would respect each others work and have a hearing on bills that were passed.

I still claim that..

yup, exactly right. Reid has tabled them.

Look, its one thing to argue the bills content, you don't agree with the bills, fine, its wholly another to say there are no suggestions or no bills created to address said issue, yet thats what the media in general is putting out there, they are simply carrying Reids water.

And that is what my issue is, the dishonest talking point that the reps haven't introduced any bills.

Anyone who claims that is flat out lying to you.

Forum List

Back