$140 jeans. Are we nuts?

Abbey Normal

Jul 9, 2005
Mid-Atlantic region
This thread was inspired by a comment in the Xbox thread. Are any parents out there getting pressure to buy their kids Abercrombie or Guess jeans? I am talking about the utterly ridiculous $140 jeans that those stores are selling. Maybe I am hopelessly out of it, but what besides succumbing to dumb designer status, can make a pair of jeans worth three times the price of most other jeans?

My daughter claims that not all jeans are equal, but she can't really tell me why. In fact, she was surprised to learn that they are all made from the same basic fabric. Uggh.

Abbey Normal said:
This thread was inspired by a comment in the Xbox thread. Are any parents out there getting pressure to buy their kids Abercrombie or Guess jeans? I am talking about the utterly ridiculous $140 jeans that those stores are selling. Maybe I am hopelessly out of it, but what besides succumbing to dumb designer status, can make a pair of jeans worth three times the price of most other jeans?

My daughter claims that not all jeans are equal, but she can't really tell me why. In fact, she was surprised to learn that they are all made from the same basic fabric. Uggh.
Mine is 17, somehow what I've done, raising her or dumb luck, I have escaped that
problem. She say's that she would never spend that on jeans when there are so many others out there for much less....Unless when "I'm a Doctor and have the money"... I said, but their still not worth it, she agrees... :eek2: Amazing!

you know where those $140 size 6 jeans would look good?

Hanging from the chandelier in my bedroom

My Dad always gave me crap about wearing kind of high-dollar clothes. He'd prefer I shop at Wal-Mart, but the fact is that I have never bought an article of clothing from Wal-Mart that was comfortable or that lasted more than a few months before falling apart. I'm still wearing Old Navy shirts I bought in high school.

For the record, I generally only shop for clothes at Old Navy and Hot Topic. Occassionally, I'll buy a shirt or something from American Eagle, but usually those are my 2 main stores.

Well, to be more specific, I usually buy long-sleeve shirts, some short-sleeved shirts and button-downed shirts, and jeans and shorts at Old Navy. At Hot Topic, I'll only buy band t-shirts.

Perhaps because of circumstances, but my kids are better at bargain hunting than I am. My daughter went to homecoming all 4 years of hs; 3 years to proms; sings in concert choirs and opera in college. Lots of formal wear. She has shopped only at Von Maur and Nordstroms, yet never paid over $70 for a dress. (She is exasperated at spending over $200 for 'ugly' bridesmaid dresses, but can't get the brides to change their picks. :laugh:)

One son shops entirely at Old Navy or Sears. The other at someplace like American Eagle, but both only buy on sale. All 'suits' I get stuck buying, Lord and Taylor has been best for price, fit, and service.

yer nuts if you buy them thats for sure!

heres what you do. rip the tags off the expensive pants, then get a cheap pair and sew the lables in them.

I love wearing undershirts all the time. It displays a certain understated, underclassness. Plus it makes me feel cool, like eminem. I got no bling, though.

rtwngAvngr said:
I love wearing undershirts all the time. It displays a certain understated, underclassness. Plus it makes me feel cool, like eminem. I got no bling, though.
i got bling bling, but i see no sense in wearing jsut a plain tshirt when there are so many shirts out there that insult people.

New Topics

Forum List

Back