14 horses die just before polo match

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
(CNN) -- Fourteen thoroughbred horses dropped dead in a mysterious scene Sunday before a polo match near West Palm Beach, Florida, officials said.

Teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Florida.

State and local veterinary teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington, Florida, as team Lechuza Caracas prepared to compete in a U.S. Open match.

Two horses initially collapsed, and as vets and team officials scrambled to revive them, five others became dizzy, said Tim O'Connor, spokesman for the polo club.

"A total of seven died on our property," O'Connor told CNN. Seven other horses died en route to a Wellington horse farm and a veterinary hospital

full article....not really much more said...they are doing autospies...on the horses

14 horses die just before polo match - CNN.com

now what are the chances that 14 horses are gonna die at the same time...i know horses are delicate...and can die of many things....even shots.....but 14 at once...

where is allie...she is a horse person? anyone else a horse person...sounds like an insurance scam to me...

geez....my parents lived in wellington, less than a half mile from the Polo club....had to go by it, every time i visited them, back then....

i dunno much about horses but it appears that they were poisoned, via their water or food perhaps?

(CNN) -- Fourteen thoroughbred horses dropped dead in a mysterious scene Sunday before a polo match near West Palm Beach, Florida, officials said.

Teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Florida.

State and local veterinary teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington, Florida, as team Lechuza Caracas prepared to compete in a U.S. Open match.

Two horses initially collapsed, and as vets and team officials scrambled to revive them, five others became dizzy, said Tim O'Connor, spokesman for the polo club.

"A total of seven died on our property," O'Connor told CNN. Seven other horses died en route to a Wellington horse farm and a veterinary hospital

full article....not really much more said...they are doing autospies...on the horses

14 horses die just before polo match - CNN.com

now what are the chances that 14 horses are gonna die at the same time...i know horses are delicate...and can die of many things....even shots.....but 14 at once...

where is allie...she is a horse person? anyone else a horse person...sounds like an insurance scam to me...

Oh good grief, it will be interesting to hear the reason for this. How horrible..

I'm a horse person.

That's a lot of horses for a chance natural occurrence, but if they're all eating the same thing or drinking the same water, it could be either natural or man caused.

If something toxic got into their water, that would do it, and it could have been done deliberately or accidentally.

Feed can sometimes either turn toxic if certain molds develop (rye has a deadly mold that can wipe out herds) or of course be contaminated.

I used to know a breeder who would lose all of his foal crop every few years....one day his pastures and paddocks would be full of beautiful babies, the next day they'd all be gone. They never figured out what was causing it. It was cyclical, and they lived across the road from a feed lot that had been there for years (owned by the family).

This is really very interesting, and tragic.

Forum List

Back