137 children removed from polygamist ranch

They aren't responsible for them so much as it would be the right thing for them to do, don't you think? Why not make the transition as easy on these kids as possible...

Ok. My point is....the modern LDS church has very, VERY little in common with this group. They won't feel any more comfortable with them than they will with anyone else who recognizes how insane this behavior is.

I'm having a problem with the attitude that the LDS church relates to this sort of behavior.

Ok. My point is....the modern LDS church has very, VERY little in common with this group. They won't feel any more comfortable with them than they will with anyone else who recognizes how insane this behavior is.

I'm having a problem with the attitude that the LDS church relates to this sort of behavior.

well, you know, except for both believing in the whole Moroni thing and having the same faith in mormon saints and dogma....

:rolleyes:

I'd chance it that this sect is so out there that their religion only resembles modern Mormonism in the most remote way.

well, you know, except for both believing in the whole Moroni thing and having the same faith in mormon saints and dogma....

:rolleyes:

Bingo. I'm trying not to look at this from one faith over another but from what's best for the group as a whole. Assimilating them into a church that already uses the same dogma is the best start. Vs one that has talked against their dogma.

You're joking, right? They both base their faith on the Book of Mormon, or whatever it is called. NO OTHER CHRISTIAN GROUP DOES THAT. doh!

Baptists and Catholics "base" their beliefs on the NT.

My point is, my take is that this sect has strayed very, very far from accepted Mormonism, and I really doubt your average Mormon will be able to relate to them any better than your average Baptist, Catholic, or secular progressive.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348148,00.html

ELDORADO, Texas — A polygamist compound with hundreds of children was rife with sexual abuse, child welfare officials allege in court documents, with girls spiritually married to much older men as soon as they reached puberty and boys groomed to perpetuate the cycle.

The documents released Tuesday also gave details about the hushed phone calls that triggered the raid, by a 16-year-old girl at the West Texas ranch who said her 50-year-old husband beat and raped her. Days after raiding the compound, officials still aren't sure where the girl is.

Officials have completed removing all 416 children from the ranch and have won custody of all of them, Child Protective Services spokeswoman Marleigh Meisner told reporters in San Angelo, about 40 miles from the compound in Eldorado.

It gets sadder by the report.

I'm not tied to any church. I was raise non-denominational but my family has over all been Baptist. First anti-LDS movie I ever saw was in a Baptist church. There's a lot of hate between the two. I wouldn't want the LDS stepping in if a wacko Baptist (Westboro Baptist Church comes to mind) church needed aid like this. They would teach them that being Baptist is a sin. Just like the Baptist will do to the FLDS members.

Mormons do not teach that other religions are a sin.

You're joking, right? They both base their faith on the Book of Mormon, or whatever it is called. NO OTHER CHRISTIAN GROUP DOES THAT. doh!

Not completely true, the Bible is just that, the Bible. The book of Mormon is the chronicles and events of God's message on this Continent, just as the Bible is the events and chronicles from the Middle East. It is God's words and covenant with the people that lived on this Continent.

Both are the basis of the Church and belief system.

However I agree, it would seem except for the accusations people like Shogun hurl around about the 2 groups being the same, the Church would be helping and would be better able to help. However I would bet the authorities would refuse.

They do teach that they are the only true church. That the only way to get ot heaven is through their church. So they don't come out and say, if you don't believe the way we do you're a sinner. They might as well.

They do teach that they are the only true church. That the only way to get ot heaven is through their church. So they don't come out and say, if you don't believe the way we do you're a sinner. They might as well.

They do not condemn anyone. Most religious groups teach THEY are the true church of God. So your baptists are just as guilty as are catholics and Muslims.

I don't support any of them. I don't belong to a church and never will. I find them all to be no more than a money making scams.

As far as I believe, the bible just asks that you accept God through Jesus Christ. While there are passages that discuss groups and meetings it does not name a church. So if you believe you are saved.

Forum List

Back