137 children removed from polygamist ranch

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Ravi, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,758
    My question: Why was this place never raided beforehand, given what was known about their practices?

2. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    The compound is about 200 miles west on I10 from San Antonio. The FBI had been tracking Jeffs for some time before they snagged him last year. He was able to elude several attempts, traveled with 5 or 6 well armed guards, also flew from one fundamentalist compound to another. He never stayed in one place very long. From what I gathered, and there was a huge story 2 years ago in the San Antonio Express News of the compound they were building, the FBI didn't want another Waco or Ruby Ridge on their hands. I read a great book by Krakauer called "Under the Banner of Heaven" and it goes into great detail of the sects that have broken off from the LDS. Basically, they'll move into a small town, eventually outnumber the local population, elect themselves to the city council and govern that area, infiltration, if you will. This is what they were doing in Eldorado, TX.

About 5 years I was traveling through Colorado City, Az, southern border of Utah/AZ, and stopped off in the town to get some gas. Well, I happened to ask the attendant a few questions about the local economy and what they did for a living then went on my way. About a mile out of town a local police car started tailing me and this went on for about 30 miles. Needless to say, I was a little worried. They don't care too much for outsiders.

3. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That place was known about for years and the state didn't do crap. Finally a reporter from Channel 3 in Phoenix started making waves and then suddenly it's like the town sprang up out of nowhere and the state was all over it.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Getting rough:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080406/ap_on_re_us/polygamist_retreat

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,758
    I read that book. Very disturbing.

I don't think your reasoning is correct. If they were afraid to raid the place two years ago they'd be afraid to raid it now. It isn't as if what's going on is a surprise to anyone.

6. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352
    I could be wrong but the FBI had nothing on the FLDS on building that compound. They couldn't just go storming. Actually, its better that the FBI isn't rushing in. We don't need dead burned children at the hands of the govt again.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Why on Earth would ANY man want more than one wife? One is enough to drive any normal human being :cuckoo:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,352

Lol!! One is definitely enough and I can't remember the last time that I came out on top in an argument so I just gave it up and now only agree. It's pretty close to being de-balled. If I had two I'd probably be singing for the Vienna Choir Boys.

9. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Where are the thumpers at to tell us that anything clarified as an aspect of a personal religion, THRUST into kids or not, is protected bythe first amendment?

Where is RGS to tell us that there are no such thing as mormon polygamists for that matter?

10. Angel Heart

Angel Heart Conservative Hippie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    What many forget in this topic is the numbers game of it all. Normal population has about 50/50 male/female. What happens to all the males that don't have mates?

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/09/america/polygamy.php?WT.mc_id=rssfrontpage