$1300 Gold, and $21.50 Silver....

Anyone who reads those articles and thinks they prove the Fed is pumping money into the stock market is daft.

prove is the wrong word.

But anybody who doesn't believe that the Fed and the BOJ financed the housing bubble, the dot com bubble, the commodities bubbles of 08, and today's stock markets should just mail their money directly to Bernie Madoff.

If you believe that then you need to be medicated.

There are a plethora of economists who recognize that the Fed's monetary policy played a direct role in the bubbles of the last 10-15 years.

Speculative inflationary bubbles would be virtually impossible absent a monetary policy of easy money.

prove is the wrong word.

But anybody who doesn't believe that the Fed and the BOJ financed the housing bubble, the dot com bubble, the commodities bubbles of 08, and today's stock markets should just mail their money directly to Bernie Madoff.

If you believe that then you need to be medicated.

There are a plethora of economists who recognize that the Fed's monetary policy played a direct role in the bubbles of the last 10-15 years.

Speculative inflationary bubbles would be virtually impossible absent a monetary policy of easy money.

Except that wasn't the claim. The claim was the Fed was pumping money into the stock market.

Except that wasn't the claim. The claim was the Fed was pumping money into the stock market.

I thought the claim was that gold had nowhere to go but down.

And nobody claimed that the Fed is pumping money into the stock market. Some astute people have acknowledged that the easy money policies of the Fed are handing commercial banks gazzillions of dollars they can invest into markets instead of lending it. Those banks are pumping money into the stock market.

Just ask them. Goldman Sachs made over $100 million/day 80 out of 91 days in the first Q of this year playing the Dow and Nasdaq. It was their biggest revenue stream, all financed with easy Fed money thru the discount window.

Why doesn't the Fed lend me money at 0% so I can gamble with it? I'd borrow a few billion today, bet it all on Alabama to win the BCS and pocket a cool billion in profits when they do! That would be bitchin!

Well the explosion in prices of financial assets, real estate, stocks, bonds and precious metals, is a huge drain on the real economy. You can claim it is not inflation because it is not the CPI but given that the CPI has been and is manipulated to reduce COLA increases particularly in Social Security yours is a minority opinion.

who are you talking to Willie?
The Rabbi, we must have been posting at the same time. Just me having trouble with the board tonight. I'll catch up with my backlog go to the gym and get back to this in about two hours may be turning off the computer will help.

Well the explosion in prices of financial assets, real estate, stocks, bonds and precious metals, is a huge drain on the real economy. You can claim it is not inflation because it is not the CPI but given that the CPI has been and is manipulated to reduce COLA increases particularly in Social Security yours is a minority opinion.

There is no explosion of prices in real estate. Except down.
There is no explosion in stock prices. They have moved up recently but the Dow is still in narrow territory.
There is an explosion in bond and gold prices because people are still looking for safety in a zero interest rate environment. As soon as that environment changes, those assets are toast.

There is no explosion of prices in real estate. Except down.
There is no explosion in stock prices. They have moved up recently but the Dow is still in narrow territory.
There is an explosion in bond and gold prices because people are still looking for safety in a zero interest rate environment. As soon as that environment changes, those assets are toast.

You SO misunderstood Willie's post that I can't even imagine helping you....

How are stock market numbers (and do you mean the DOw, the S&P, the Wiltshire??) phony and pumped up? Do you think people buy and sell and then get their confirms and say "no, I didnt pay that for this stock"?
Output and growth are not correlated to stock market returns.

I'm not hearing anything cogent here.
The Fed has been pumping cash into the markets to prop them up, dude.

GASG: Is the FED propping up the stock market?

Tepper tells CNBC Fed will prop up market Hedge Funds - MarketWatch

Unfortunately your links don't substantiate the idea that the stock market is rising because the Fed is pumping money into it.
Actually they don't substantiate much of anything at all.
OK, fine...

Feel free to invest your money in precious gubmint cheez.

Rabbi is the fool born each minute. Every con man in the USA calls him "Mark".
Gold is his hobbyhorse. I look at the bond market from time to time but I would prefer to let Gail handle that market and real estate. General knowledge generally gets you in trouble because investments are in specifics not generalities. There are at least five gold markets: coins, jewelry, electronic, bullion and mining stocks; since they all trade at different spreads and have different oddities generalities about the gold market are not operational intelligence. Also in any type of investment trades should be infrequent.

One minor thing in The Rabbi's favor most of the recent rise in gold in the US can be attributed to the USD/EU market. Gold in terms of the euro has declined about half as much as it has gone up in North America recently.

Forget about gold and silver... I used my investment money to buy Beanie Babies and NASCAR collectable plates way back when. I'm going to hit it big when I sell.

Gold is his hobbyhorse. I look at the bond market from time to time but I would prefer to let Gail handle that market and real estate. General knowledge generally gets you in trouble because investments are in specifics not generalities. There are at least five gold markets: coins, jewelry, electronic, bullion and mining stocks; since they all trade at different spreads and have different oddities generalities about the gold market are not operational intelligence. Also in any type of investment trades should be infrequent.

Bubbles are my hobbyhorse. Gold is a bubble. There are no fundamentals to support such a price. Ergo it is unsupportable. Now, market can remain irrational a lot longer than I can remain solvent. But a year from now gold will be down.
I also called tech a bubble in 1999 and real estate a bubble in 2006.

Bubbles are my hobbyhorse. Gold is a bubble. There are no fundamentals to support such a price. Ergo it is unsupportable. Now, market can remain irrational a lot longer than I can remain solvent. But a year from now gold will be down.
I also called tech a bubble in 1999 and real estate a bubble in 2006.

Gold will be a bubble in 2012 but is not yet. Bubbles accelerate up-wards at the end with euphoric buying when everyone feels they must get in. The price chart will look like a parabolic rise at the end when the most money can be made in the shortest time. We are not there yet but I feel it will come. In any event the price will not go down to the $700 lows set at the height of the crash. They will remain above $1000.

I started investing in gold companies in 2002. When I told people I was investing in gold, I had one person laugh in my face. I had another call me an "old man."

Gold is going to be a bubble one day but IMHO we are not there yet.

Buying gold is for cowards and hoarders.

Real men and responsible citizens look for innovative new business to invest in. They don't try to hide behind some practically useless commodity.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back