13 year old girl schools "expert" on minimum wage

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    [youtube]Jmo7YQk3DrA[/youtube]

The girl also addressed his rebuttal that "the minimum wage is already low enough" by pointing out that some jobs, such as her example of watering a garden, aren't necessarily worth the minimum wage, and in that case she doesn't get the minimum wage, or even a lower settled wage that her and the employer could come to mutually, but nothing at all. So who does that help?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Kudos to that young lady, in the way she handled herself.

However, her example is not really accurate. Minimum wage does not affect the neighbor hiring a neighbor's kid to water the lawn. It affects Walmart hiring employees at $3.5/hour for 40 hr/week jobs and expecting them to live off of what Walmart is willing to give them.

I, myself, have mixed feelings about the minimum wage. I believe it should be left up to the market, but I also feel that doing so would lower our standards of living because you would have employees who were willing to work for peanuts competing with people who were simply trying to survive and in that case the guy willing to work for peanuts is going to win.

Immie

3. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    The OP completely ignores the fact that minimum wage does not apply to her situation. At all. Forget FLSA, has anybody even read the posters in their workplace?

More at link, including links to FLSA provisions and DOL fact sheets:

Employment Law Guide - Minimum Wage and Overtime Pay

4. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Since anything and everything is essentially able to be considered "interstate commerce" that's really irrelevant isn't it? However, the point is that the minimum wage laws affect everyone, not just 13 year old girls.

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    ROFLMAO!

Bloody Marvelous! The 'expert' gets schooled by a girl and then he goes to move the goal posts and gets yanked up short by the other members of the panel. I know I wouldn't be hiring 'that guy in the tan suit' for economic advice in the future. He's more concerned about 'fairness' than 'equal justice'.

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    ROFLMAO!

Bloody Marvelous! The 'expert' gets schooled by a girl and then he goes to move the goal posts and gets yanked up short by the other members of the panel. I know I wouldn't be hiring 'that guy in the tan suit' for economic advice in the future. He's more concerned about 'fairness' than 'equal justice'.

7. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    She's not a full time student at the age of 13? Tending a garden is not agricultural in nature? The neighbor does $500,000 in annual business related to his garden? Under FLSA the Federal minimum wage does NOT affect everyone, that's a fallacy. Read the link, please.

8. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    At least as the definition of the ICC is currently abused, yes.

9. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I'm referring to the fact that the minimum wage leads to higher unemployment. It makes it illegal for people to work for under what the government mandates and not all jobs are worth the minimum wage, which means that position simply isn't going to be filled and someone who could do that job for less gets nothing at all.

10. goldcatt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    FLSA minimum wage exemptions exist specifically for jobs or workers that are not worth the minimum wage, for businesses that are too small to afford it, tipped employees and other situations that are normally used to argue against it. Do you even know what they are? Did you read the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the DoL fact sheets, the link posted?

Fact is, the neighbor is screwing this girl out of the two bucks an hour she should probably get for doing the job. Whose fault is that? The government's for including a minimum wage exemption for exactly this situation, the neighbor's for his ignorance (or willingness to use her), or the girl's for agreeing to work for free? Who benefits?