128 Students Suspended at Indiana School

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Bravo! We need more principals like this! I'm waiting for someone to scream racism now.

-----

HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) - Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

The Hammond school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

Mayerik said the infraction would be removed from students' records in 12 weeks if they had no other in-school violations.

School board members said they support Mayerik and the mass suspensions. "I'd be supportive if half the school was sent home, because 99 percent will get the message our schools are for education," board president Rebecca Ward said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060827/D8JONG1G0.html

The school where my granddaughters attend (north of Indianapolis) also initiated a dress code this year. No baggy trousers worn by boys, no low hip-hugging jeans worn by girls, no tank tops, no bra tops, no see-throughs, no mini skirts, no obscene t-shirts, shorts can be worn but they must be knee length--sounds very similar to what the Hammond school has implemented.

Good for them for defining clearly and simply what is expected--in case good common sense went out to lunch a long time ago.

Bravo! We need more principals like this! I'm waiting for someone to scream racism now.

-----

HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) - Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

The Hammond school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

Mayerik said the infraction would be removed from students' records in 12 weeks if they had no other in-school violations.

School board members said they support Mayerik and the mass suspensions. "I'd be supportive if half the school was sent home, because 99 percent will get the message our schools are for education," board president Rebecca Ward said.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060827/D8JONG1G0.html

:clap: more reason for uniforms too, or at the least standard dress (which is a uniform too, but ya get to mix an match).

In high school, a teacher was not fond of a T-shirt I wore that said: "Come to Philly for the Crack"--making a play on the Liberty Bell's crack.

My teacher had seen the shirt before and said, "what are we coming to Philly for Rob?" I sheepishly responded: "the crack". I was told to wear another shirt over the Philly t-shirt.

My FIL picked up my niece from school one day, and made the comment that if he was a guy in high school today, there would be NO WAY he'd be paying attention to what the teacher was talking about... too much to be seen in what the girls were (not) wearing.

They have a dress code... seems to get a little stricter every year, but I don't know how well they enforce it.

It's good that the school enforced the dress code. At my old high school (not sure about this new one), I saw the dress code get enforced once, because a kid was wearing a shirt with bob marley smoking a joint on it. He came into the classroom with his shirt inside out, raising hell, saying, "man dey infringed my constitutional rights man, my constitutional rights!"

There would be people wearing shirts with alcohal products on them all the time, and got away with it. Were the school officials afraid of them? Or what?

I am against uniforms, though. Standardized dress is ok, but still, I wouldnt go for it. Reason being, well, I'm 16 :)

It's good that the school enforced the dress code. At my old high school (not sure about this new one), I saw the dress code get enforced once, because a kid was wearing a shirt with bob marley smoking a joint on it. He came into the classroom with his shirt inside out, raising hell, saying, "man dey infringed my constitutional rights man, my constitutional rights!"

There would be people wearing shirts with alcohal products on them all the time, and got away with it. Were the school officials afraid of them? Or what?

I am against uniforms, though. Standardized dress is ok, but still, I wouldnt go for it. Reason being, well, I'm 16 :)

I used to think that public school uniforms was a misnomer, but have changed my mind. I think school colors, mixed with khaki skirts, pants, shorts, is probably a good idea. Colors in polos, blouses, ties, shirts, etc.

Removes the onus from 'haves' and have nots, not that the 'kids' can't figure that out, but levels the playing field. On top of that, the 'kids' get it. I've seen the 'haves' downplay their largesse. I've also seen the 'have nots' say it's cool to cell phone, etc. One side becomes less condescending, the other less defensive.

My FIL picked up my niece from school one day, and made the comment that if he was a guy in high school today, there would be NO WAY he'd be paying attention to what the teacher was talking about... too much to be seen in what the girls were (not) wearing.

They have a dress code... seems to get a little stricter every year, but I don't know how well they enforce it.

OMG, you have no idea. ITs so hard for a guy aged 18-30 to even acknowledge a girl anymore for fear of them being underage. You just cant tell with the way they dress. I remember 2 summers ago me and my friend (23-21 at the time) walked up to 2 hot looking girls down the shore. It was about 10 at night so we figured they were older and they looked about 21. So we asked if they wanted to join us at the bar. They told us that they were only 17 and we quickly walked away before anymore could be said. Thankfully those 2 were honest. Too often you get the young ones lieing about their age and the guy getting 2-5 years in jail for a 1 night stand. Not that thats what we were looking for, but i can see it happening after that occurrence.

Forum List

Back