12 Angry Men

I actually enjoyed it. It is a lot like you see on tv or in movies. After the verdict a few of us stayed behind to talk with both lawyers and have them ask us questions which I've never seen before. The defense told me that he asked the judge to remove me after some comments I made in the courtroom to clarify something someone else had said on the jury. I was like "what do you want, we aren't pros here most of us have never done this".

I recommend to anyone to do it at least once.

I do not support Trial By Jury for the below reason you give:

"I was like "what do you want, we aren't pros here most of us have never done this".

All trials should be by Judicial Panel comprised of legal professionals and not lay persons who have no education or training in legal situations.
Magna Carta ?

I'm sorry I am not that up on a lot of the Magna Carta, are you saying that it ensures Trial By Jury or what?
Yes. It is there to curb the power of the state.
Indeed, the power to convict should not be the same power that can accuse.

Virtually all of our local judges are former prosecutors. There is a separation of powers but not a separation of attitude.

Odd isn't it. The very people that should never be given power over others are given power over others lives.

During the troubles in Ulster they found it impossible to get decisions from juries due to the sectarian nature of the society. The catholics would vote one way and the proddies another.
They introduced "diplock" courts which did away with juries and it was hugely unpopular.

I've watched 12 Angry Men a few times, not lately though. Good movie. One questionability aspect I had with it was wondering about Fonda's character when he did a little bit of investigating on his own about the knife. Is that, as you might say, kosher?

A Fonda film in a somewhat similar vain is the western The Oxford Incident. For me that's the one film that always comes to mind whenever there is a highly publicized trial going on. It inspires me to think for myself and not just go along with popular opinion.

Forum List

Back