12.1 inches and counting!

We have 4 inches so far and counting. The snow from earlier in the week had all but melted off. I didn't grow up in Portland so I don't know what to expect when they say it's worst case. They are saying epic storm with this one and how it's going to hit. Thankfully I've got enough supplies to get through until after Christmas.

We have 4 inches so far and counting. The snow from earlier in the week had all but melted off. I didn't grow up in Portland so I don't know what to expect when they say it's worst case. They are saying epic storm with this one and how it's going to hit. Thankfully I've got enough supplies to get through until after Christmas.
10 is probably epic there, they don't usually get a lot of now but I know you guys get bad ice storms!

We're now at 5 inches at last check. We are expecting the freezing rain to hit tonight on top of all of this. More snow expected Monday and Tuesday to put the cherry on top of it all. I think my husband will finally get his snow days. He's the only one out of his office that worked a full week this last week. He has Wednesday to the following Monday off.

I just found this:

Portland, Oregon-- long-term cold and snow records and ice storms and silver thaws

The two rivers here froze in 1924. 1949-1950 they got hit hard too.

We got another 3" this evening, the temperature is dropping like a rock. Going to be hovering around 0, with strong winds, bringing the wind chill down close to -30F. Brrrr.

Went to see Dirty Dancing again with 5 friends. We were really glad we took a limo, when we saw the snow fall coming out of the theater. Really cool having a limo drop us off at the restaurant, pick us up to go a few blocks to the theater, then drive us home.

We were at about 4 below and then it started warming up so it can snow some more! Angel hope everything goes alright with the freezing rain and stay inside! Freezing rain is the worst! We had a bad ice storm about ten years ago and we were cleaning up for a year!

I'm inside until it gets better outside. They say it's hit but I can't tell yet... Too dark and too cold to open the door to check. I'll let you know when I get up.

Last check it was 9 inches of snow base. It continued to snow for another 2 hours. I figure at the 1/2 inch rate we reached the 10 inches they said we would. The kids are bummed that it wasn't snowball type snow. It doesn't clump at all. Wonderful skiing snow but crappy for snowmen.

The next week looks just as nasty as the last too. So... We might be in for my 2nd White Christmas.

Update.... Yup 10 inches topped off with a half inch of ice on top of it. My kids are having fun picking the ice off of things and showing off the shapes.

The forcast says we're in for as far out as they can see. I have a funny feeling this is going to be like the winters of 1949 and 1950.... EEEKKKK

We got another 3" this evening, the temperature is dropping like a rock. Going to be hovering around 0, with strong winds, bringing the wind chill down close to -30F. Brrrr.

Went to see Dirty Dancing again with 5 friends. We were really glad we took a limo, when we saw the snow fall coming out of the theater. Really cool having a limo drop us off at the restaurant, pick us up to go a few blocks to the theater, then drive us home.

You dang elitist teachers you! :lol:

The wind chill is 15 below zero here,,,,fun for Christmas Shopping, let me tell you! Now we are nice and warm in the house,,makes you appreciate shelter,eh?

Oh, and we are on 2 weeks vacation,,,woo hoo! :D

Statement as of 2:31 PM PST on December 21, 2008

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 10 am PST
Monday for the lower Columbia Valley and the I-5 corridor... and
the north Willamette Valley and Clark County including the greater
Portland and Vancouver Metro areas...

A Winter Storm Warning for freezing rain and snow remains in
effect until 10 am PST Monday.

Precipitation is increasing across the region this afternoon.
However... with temperatures below freezing... this will create
areas of freezing rain... sleet and snow. New ice accumulations of up
to one third of an inch are possible... along with local
accumulations of up to 1 inch of snow this afternoon.

Freezing rain... sleet and snow will turn to mostly snow by 6 PM this
evening... with new accumulations of 2 to 4 inches tonight. Snow
showers will continue on Monday... with an additional 2 to 4 inches
of snow possible... mainly in the morning.

Ice is forecast to accumulate in the affected areas causing very
hazardous driving conditions. Those with travel plans in the
warning area are advised to choose an alternate Route... or should
use extreme caution if travel is unavoidable.

It keeps going and going....

Forum List

Back