12.1 inches and counting!

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
So we have gotten 12.1 inches of snow and are expected to get 5 to 10 more and they still have not closed the local schools here. I also heard that the Vegas airport is closed due to them recieving 4 inches of snow, while our aiport is open at this time.

We are melting and our schools will be closed tomorrow.
I think they figure we are used to it here so the school children should just tough it out! We have areas around here that recieved 22 inches and they are only two hours late tomorrow. My issue is with high school kids who drive but don't know how to drive in the snow that well yet.
Did you get hit with the ice storm bad, where you are at?

We missed out on the ice but might freeze up again over night. It's about 36 currently. We have a lot of areas that are not thawing out yet.

More expected to hit on Saturday.

Hey, teacher here and break was supposed to begin tomorrow at 11 am. Looks like it's coming early!

Tuesday afternoon we had heavy snow for the afternoon/evening rush hours. It took me over an hour and a half to get home, normally a half hour drive. As of yesterday morning, seemed today was going to be a repeat, but last night the amounts expected changed and it went from a watch to a warning. As of now, 6-9" are expected, along with freezing rain and sleet.

Christmas program was to be tonight at 7, running about an hour and a half. That would be a nightmare as the storm is to hit in late afternoon. I think it and the half day tomorrow are going to be cancelled! Yee haw!

Hey, teacher here and break was supposed to begin tomorrow at 11 am. Looks like it's coming early!

Tuesday afternoon we had heavy snow for the afternoon/evening rush hours. It took me over an hour and a half to get home, normally a half hour drive. As of yesterday morning, seemed today was going to be a repeat, but last night the amounts expected changed and it went from a watch to a warning. As of now, 6-9" are expected, along with freezing rain and sleet.

Christmas program was to be tonight at 7, running about an hour and a half. That would be a nightmare as the storm is to hit in late afternoon. I think it and the half day tomorrow are going to be cancelled! Yee haw!
They declared a state of emergency here and it was unlawful to drive on the roads, we have an area called the south hill which is above the downtown area and you had to have chains to go up there, this is within city limits. With this they still have not cancelled school!
Before today it was 3 degrees with wind chill making it conditions of 10 below 0 whatever that means, just say it was bone chilling cold.And they said we would have a mild winter since we had a terrible one last year.

So we have gotten 12.1 inches of snow and are expected to get 5 to 10 more and they still have not closed the local schools here. I also heard that the Vegas airport is closed due to them recieving 4 inches of snow, while our aiport is open at this time.

I thought this was a sex thread and came here to report it, ohh you just got snow? Suck it up and deal, global warming will be along to melt it all way soon enough.

We're due for another 9-13" today..or between tonight and tomorrow..

Guess I'm getting my moneys worth outta my new toy...

Just don't run my Mazda off the road!

LMAO! Keep to the right, ma'am.. Keep to the right. :D

Nono. I'm not one of the drivers I complain about. I just get to drive 30 to get home now, rather than a slow slide at 10, and actually make it UP my hill.

LMAO! Keep to the right, ma'am.. Keep to the right. :D

Nono. I'm not one of the drivers I complain about. I just get to drive 30 to get home now, rather than a slow slide at 10, and actually make it UP my hill.

I'm hoping that my principal does cancel the program tonight and the half day tomorrow, I'm pretty confident that she will. Hopefully the storm will not hit as early as the one Tuesday!

4-6" tonight, and 2-4" tomorrow morning here.. That means they won't close shit.. Least, that's what weather.com says for here now...

Not looking good:

Chicago Tribune | Weather

As of 4:12 am CST on December 18, 2008

Today...Cloudy. Slight chance of snow early in the afternoon. Chance of snow and sleet late in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 20s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Tonight...Snow and sleet. Snow may be heavy at times. Snow and sleet accumulation of 7 to 10 inches. Ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. Lows in the mid 20s. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 100 percent.

4-6" tonight, and 2-4" tomorrow morning here.. That means they won't close shit.. Least, that's what weather.com says for here now...

I know it depends on wind and lake, but our snow Tuesday began about 1 pm. Yours?

Y'all can keep that ice shit.. My toy doesn't do any better on ice than any car, I don't think..

I wonder where they're going to PUT all the snow.. They've been hauling it away in dumptrucks this week... Parking lot snow mountains are already about 15' high, if not more.. :confused:

Y'all can keep that ice shit.. My toy doesn't do any better on ice than any car, I don't think..

I wonder where they're going to PUT all the snow.. They've been hauling it away in dumptrucks this week... Parking lot snow mountains are already about 15' high, if not more.. :confused:

I really hate ice! So far the suburbs are doing a good job with plowing and salt, but not the city. Got to go downtown Saturday for Dirty Dancing. There's 6 of us, we're considering a limo. ;)

Send it to the poles to combat all that global warming.

I saw an article years back about when Chicago was dumped on, and they went through the streets with front end loaders, loading snow into dump trucks. They took the snow to the railroad yards where they used front end loaders to put the snow into open top gondola cars in a long train. Then they routed the train to a southern route, into the sunshine and warmth. While traveling there, the snow melted out of the cars, and the train was routed back to Chicago railroad yards again for another haul.

Forum List

Back