112th Congress Most Unproductive Since 1940s

Word around here is you're a badass pm spammer kid, that true?

Tough guy in a pm....golly.

112th Congress Most Unproductive Since 1940s

WASHINGTON -- As 2012 comes to a close, the 112th Congress is set to go down in American history as the most unproductive session since the 1940s.

According to a Huffington Post review of all the bills that hit President Barack Obama's desk this session, Obama has signed 219 bills passed by the 112th Congress into law. With less than a week to go in the year, there are currently another 20 bills pending presidential action. In comparison, the last Congress passed 383 bills, while the one before it passed 460.

The 104th Congress (1995-1996) currently holds the ignominious distinction of being the least productive session of Congress, according to the U.S. House Clerk's Office, which has records going back to 1947. Just 333 bills became law during that two-year period, meaning the 112th Congress needs to send nearly 100 more bills to Obama's desk in the next few days if it wants to avoid going down in history -- an unlikely prospect, considering that both chambers are squarely focused on averting the "fiscal cliff" before the new year.

The 112th Congress has done far less than the 80th Congress (1947-1948), which President Harry Truman infamously dubbed the "Do-Nothing Congress." Those lawmakers passed 906 bills that became law.

While Obama has signed several pieces of large, consequential legislation in the past two years -- such as sanctions on Iran and the National Defense Authorization Act, allowing the indefinite detention of terrorism suspects without charge -- many of the bills passed by Congress have been small and noncontroversial.

At least 40 bills, including ones awaiting Obama's signature, concerned the renaming of post offices or other public buildings. Another six dealt with commemorative coins.

Commemorative coins and post offices!!

Thank you Tea Baggers for the Do-Nothing Congress!!!

As the least productive EVER?

The 112th Congress has passed only 219 bills...which could be a 'do nothing' record. The current 'do nothing' record is held by the 104th Congress who passed 333 bills in the 1990s. Harry Truman famously ran against a 'do nothing' Congress in the 40s, the 80th Congress. They had passed over 900 bills.

So, unless the 112th passes a shitload of bills in the next few days, they will find themselves a place in the history books, but not for anything good.

Is it any wonder that under the Boehner's leadership, Congress has an approval rating below syphilis?

Yes actually reading legislation before passing it really slows things down see former speaker Pelosi we have to pass the bill so we can find out what's in it in reference to Obamacare.

Yeah...those Post Office renaming bills are killers I hear.
Given the choice between that and the monstrosity that is Obamacare I will take that I find it very telling that the left's idea of a effective Congress seems to be the amount of legislation passed instead of the quality of it.

Quality = Obamacare

Quantity = naming post offices and passing bills in the House with poison pill riders.

Pork for Christmas

"But New York Senator Chuck Schumer, who's in the lead on this, will need Republican votes to get to 60. GOP Senators John McCain and Tom Coburn have already compiled a dirty laundry list of the bill's non-Sandy spending."

The Wall Street Journal: Pork for Christmas - WSJ.com

Seems like a good bill all in all. They could try to pass each of these spending items one at a time but that does not seem a good use of time. Not to worry though. The bill might already be dead and no money for Sandy victims this Christmas.

"The Senate is expected to approve the relief fund Friday. But unless the House acts before the new legislative session begins at noon Thursday, the bill will die, forcing lawmakers to restart the process."

Looks like the victims of Hurricane Sandy got a little something in their stocking this year after all.
All democrats voted for it and 12 republicans. 33 republicans voted against it. I would love to hear their reasoning.

The Associated Press: Senate approves $60.4 billion Sandy aid bill

All the politicians in Washington, Democrat and Republican alike, and this includes the President and his administration are all the worst bunch of people I have ever seen in the political arena in my entire lifetime. None of them are worth the gunpowder it would take to blow them up. I am more and more in agreement that we need term limits so we can get these idiots that have been in politics for years out of the way so some decent, truthful people can get in there and instead of finger pointing and name calling do something useful for the American public.

All the politicians in Washington, Democrat and Republican alike, and this includes the President and his administration are all the worst bunch of people I have ever seen in the political arena in my entire lifetime. None of them are worth the gunpowder it would take to blow them up. I am more and more in agreement that we need term limits so we can get these idiots that have been in politics for years out of the way so some decent, truthful people can get in there and instead of finger pointing and name calling do something useful for the American public.

If you mix it yourself you might be able to save some on costs and it would be worth it. (They can add this one to my file. :D)

3. Two useful recipes.

Usually black powder is a mixture of saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal. Also a black powder without any sulfur yields good results and produces even less smoke. (For how these ingredients are made, see the previous chapters).
A reasonable recipe is a mix of:

100 parts of saltpeter,
18 parts of char coal, and (Parts given by weight)
16 parts of sulfur

If you want to make a powder without sulfur, then mix

100 parts of saltpeter and
24 parts of char coal.

Pork for Christmas

"But New York Senator Chuck Schumer, who's in the lead on this, will need Republican votes to get to 60. GOP Senators John McCain and Tom Coburn have already compiled a dirty laundry list of the bill's non-Sandy spending."

The Wall Street Journal: Pork for Christmas - WSJ.com

Seems like a good bill all in all. They could try to pass each of these spending items one at a time but that does not seem a good use of time. Not to worry though. The bill might already be dead and no money for Sandy victims this Christmas.

"The Senate is expected to approve the relief fund Friday. But unless the House acts before the new legislative session begins at noon Thursday, the bill will die, forcing lawmakers to restart the process."

Looks like the victims of Hurricane Sandy got a little something in their stocking this year after all.
All democrats voted for it and 12 republicans. 33 republicans voted against it. I would love to hear their reasoning.

Tea bagging pigs?

You like that word Teabag....you like having balls on your chin kid?

Tea bagging pigs?

If you mix it yourself you might be able to save some on costs and it would be worth it. (They can add this one to my file. :D)

3. Two useful recipes.

Usually black powder is a mixture of saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal. Also a black powder without any sulfur yields good results and produces even less smoke. (For how these ingredients are made, see the previous chapters).

100 parts of saltpeter,
16 parts of sulfur

24 parts of char coal.

You're giving instructions to blow up wha??

What's good about passing bills? Almost everything Congress does is bad. The less it does, the better.

As the least productive EVER?

The 112th Congress has passed only 219 bills...which could be a 'do nothing' record. The current 'do nothing' record is held by the 104th Congress who passed 333 bills in the 1990s. Harry Truman famously ran against a 'do nothing' Congress in the 40s, the 80th Congress. They had passed over 900 bills.

So, unless the 112th passes a shitload of bills in the next few days, they will find themselves a place in the history books, but not for anything good.

Is it any wonder that under the Boehner's leadership, Congress has an approval rating below syphilis?

3. Two useful recipes.

100 parts of saltpeter,
16 parts of sulfur

24 parts of char coal.

You're giving instructions to blow up wha??

Hey, after reading a couple hundred completely logical arguments for no gun regulation I figured it was only the right thing to do.

Not to get discouraged. America has had some great congresses, I would nominate two for best Congresses. The first, the congress that set up the government and added the Bill of Rights. The second, the 73rd Congress, the FDR 100 day Congress, that one that passed all those recovery laws, many of which we still live with.
Today's congress has got to be the worst, it has no goal except to destroy Obama by destroying the nation. If we can again elect a responsible Congress it should take steps to correct the rules that allowed this monstrosity.

The 2nd Congress you mentioned is the worst ever. All the legislation they passed prevented the recovery and fucked this country up permanently.

We are witnessing a GOP controlled house that would rather see the economy of this Country go into the dumpster than to leave their ellegience to the little man, Grover "The Goober" Norquist. Just how sick is that? These idiots will not be happy until they lose the last branch of Government they hold. The GOP and the Tea Baggers are an abomination that, hopefully, soon will be gone.

Not to get discouraged. America has had some great congresses, I would nominate two for best Congresses. The first, the congress that set up the government and added the Bill of Rights. The second, the 73rd Congress, the FDR 100 day Congress, that one that passed all those recovery laws, many of which we still live with.
Today's congress has got to be the worst, it has no goal except to destroy Obama by destroying the nation. If we can again elect a responsible Congress it should take steps to correct the rules that allowed this monstrosity.

The 2nd Congress you mentioned is the worst ever. All the legislation they passed prevented the recovery and fucked this country up permanently.

The first thing FDR asked of congress was the banking act, but I wonder how many Americans have any idea of the next law FDR asked ciongress for?

This the way I see it. The republicans are screwed either way. The republican have gotten to power by the rich giving them money so they can convince the naive that if they vote for them they will go to Washington and make sure that no one comes and take their guns or Bibles and that the gays will not come to their town. The republicans say they are going to make government smaller, which the republicans never do because the naive don't know the difference and the rich don't really care because they get more than anyone else from the government anyway.That's called, 'job grow', or trickle down economics if you will. Oh yeah, and, "God Bless America!".

Now the republicans have a real dilemma. The naive are saying, "It's OK. We understand that you need to raise taxes this one time." But the rich are saying, "Like Hell you will." So now if the republicans don't vote for the tax increase the naive are going to get a real wakeup call. If they do vote for the tax increase the rich are going to not give them money to fool the naive next time. This is the first real time they have had to show their real colors and it ain't looking very pretty for them.

The first thing FDR asked of congress was the banking act, but I wonder how many Americans have any idea of the next law FDR asked ciongress for?

Ending the gold standard.

Are you talking about a congress that would be responsible enough to reign in government spending? I would agree with you, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Will Rogers had a good quip about a Congress back when Calvin Coolidge was President, and I quote:

"The Congress wanted nothin' done, and he done it."

With a $16.4 trillion dollar debt this Congress, led by John Boehner, wants the leaky US Treasury stopped up, and John Boehner is stopping it. :)

Forum List

Back