11,000 miles without gas

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Chris, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Jay Leno is known to have quite the car collection – around 100 in all, not including 90 motorcycles – but until recently, he didn’t own an electric vehicle! But after publically claiming skepticism about the cleaner cars, the late night host has announced his love for his 2011 Chevrolet Volt. In fact, since December of last year, Leno has used his Volt to drive the 35 mile commute from his home in Burbank to work, racking up around 11,000 miles – all without ever visiting a gas tank!

When offered the first 2011 Chevy Volt, Leno politely replied “no”- but later was among the first buyers when the electric vehicle went to the consumer market. Since the Volt’s full charge has an electric driving range of around 38 to 48 miles, Leno makes his 35 mile trip to work each day powered only by the electric battery. The Volt is then plugged in upon arrival to the studio lot, giving the car a full charge for the ride home.

Leno’s Volt was delivered after purchase with a half tank of gas, which still remains in the vehicle.

Chevy Volt Journey

2. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    How is the electricity produced that charges the extremely expensive batteries in this very expensive toy car.
    I drive electric vehicles every day where I work, summer heat effects the range of the batteries and winter cold is even worse. Our vehicles are the simplest vehicles beside golf carts........ baggage tugs at the airport. People are constantly leaving them on, a lot of the times with their lights on, the stupid public. If electric vehicles ever take off, buy a tow company specializing in towing electric cars, you'll make a fortune.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,414
    Your golf carts are powered by lead acid batteries. A technology that is over 100 years old. Present batteries have far more power. And the ones coming down the pike will have an order of magnitude more power density yet.

You get plenty of people that run their cars out of gas, you will get the same that run their cars batteries dry.

Why is it you people are so dead set against any new technology? Are you that afraid of change?

4. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    Yeah but those Chevy Volts are gay...........98 out of 100 American males would much prefer this............

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes&feature=player_embedded]Bad ass Mustang Cobra with Kenne Bell Supercharger - YouTube[/ame]

This is what the nutters dont get.......nobody wants these gay-ass electric cars!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,078
    You can go 11,000 miles without gas...in a sailboat.

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,078
    And when you plug it in, it draws power from the Keebler Elf Coal and LNG Plant!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,261
    Most environmentalist guys dont recognize that there is a whole car culture out there of tens of millions. The tuner industry alone is a multi-billion dollar industry.........and thats just foreign cars like Honda's, Subaru's and Mitsubishi's etc..........which is going nowhere soon and certainly not in our lifetimes.

Take a guess what the operative word is above...........

Only groups like the environmental folks think you can go into Chinatown and have a real successful burger business!!!:coffee:

8. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    What are you driving Chris? How about you Rocks? Tell the truth now, we all want to know what gas saving, non polluting wonder you guys have invested in. What is your electricity bill?

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,414
    The truth is I am driving standard ICE rigs. Before I buy another rig, I have to buy my retirement home. When that is settled, then I will make a list of requirements for what I need in the way of transportation, and buy what fills that list best at the most economical price of operation and initial cost.

10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Am I supposed to be impressed that a rich guy who only drives his volt back and forth to work, and has a contract that gives him a charging station in his parking spot, has managed not to use any gas in his toy car?