1000 new cell phones seized...

No, the general public doesnt repair cell phones like we do with cars. Cell phone parts are not sold to the public.

This is exactly why their story is feasible. If all someone needed were a new charger, they could hook up with these guys and obtain one.

Overseas destination is out of the question.

First, as I said earlier, phone chargers have dual input capability. They make ALL of them for virtually all electrical devices to work on both voltage systems.

Second, they guys have no tickets for overseas destinations as far as I know, nor have they stated that they intended to sell them overseas.

Also, to sell them overseas, they would have to declare them at customs, and a tariff to virtually any overseas destination would be imposed, and thus a profit margain would dissappear, and particularly with the loss of value by tossing the chargers, there is no possible way for them to make a profit by selling overseas, not to mention the cost of the airline tickets.

Who said anything about selling them overseas? Besides you that is.

I agree. Except if the admin had more, I think they would publicize it. So I think, for now at least, that's all they have.
Then I want them to error on the side of caution.

Again, I agree, which is why I want the administration to be transparent to the extent possible.There are limits to how transparent they can be, though NY Times wants to open all, no matter the course. It's all politics, all the time. Problem is, that isn't the mandate of the media. It is of a presidency though.

The fact that there have been no attacks on U.S. soil since 9/11 is a non-sequitur, IMO. There were 7 years between the two WTC attacks. These people are patient. They bide their time and they are unafraid to die. That makes it unrealistic to say that the fact there have been no attacks here has some significance, particularly when they've hit both Spain and Britain in the interim.Yes, we have enough data to say they've tried and failed. Though I agree with you in the long haul, they will succeed, eventually. Then will you say we need to confront or we failed?

It is very easy to say that if they "could" have done something, they "would" have. Perhaps not having lived through the 7 years of silence between the two attacks in NYC makes you more certain of that than I.
Who didn't live through that? Just you, Jillian? I don't think so. No, we are not all in NY City, but we are all Americans. It's not just New Yorkers they are after. Not by a long shot. It's ANY COUNTRY/People not adhering to Islam.

Sometimes good intel means waiting and getting to the bigger fish. Yes?

You and I absolutely disagree on the role of the media. That's okay. I expect that's because I, admittedly, trust nothing that comes out of any of the people in the admin or who speak for it. So, yes, I want the media to be watchdogs. I suspect you'd feel the same if it was a president hillary in the white house.

We have no data, IMO, that says they tried and failed (except from the British intel). We have only a bunch of wannabe's without funding, without plans and without targets. But it makes really good press.

Who didn't live through that? Just you, Jillian? I don't think so. No, we are not all in NY City, but we are all Americans. It's not just New Yorkers they are after. Not by a long shot. It's ANY COUNTRY/People not adhering to Islam.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a national tragedy. My only point was that perhaps we don't think so much of the 7 years of silence, since it ultimately turned out to be meaningless....and 7 years goes real quick in the end.

You and I absolutely disagree on the role of the media. That's okay. I expect that's because I, admittedly, trust nothing that comes out of any of the people in the admin or who speak for it. So, yes, I want the media to be watchdogs. I suspect you'd feel the same if it was a president hillary in the white house.

We have no data, IMO, that says they tried and failed (except from the British intel). We have only a bunch of wannabe's without funding, without plans and without targets. But it makes really good press.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a national tragedy. My only point was that perhaps we don't think so much of the 7 years of silence, since it ultimately turned out to be meaningless....and 7 years goes real quick in the end.

Considering the second part of your post is in part off regarding your first, I do not trust the media, not a bit.

National tragedy is only the beginning, only shows that so many are refusing to look at the real agenda, a wipe out of not only Israel, but the West, en toto. No, I'm not exaggerating. Read what they say.

This is exactly why their story is feasible. If all someone needed were a new charger, they could hook up with these guys and obtain one.

You arent making any sense. They THREW THE CHARGERS OUT. The police captian was interviewed, he said the packages were cut open, the chargers were removed and disposed of.

Parts for cell phones arent sold to the public because the general public doesnt know how to repair cell phones, plus there really arent any parts to them, I think you open it and its simply one circuit board. So how can they be trying to sell the parts?

As for selling them overseas, someone mentioned that maybe they tossed the chargers because they were going to take the phones overseas. If they were going to take them overseas, what would be the reason other than to sell them?

You and I absolutely disagree on the role of the media. That's okay. I expect that's because I, admittedly, trust nothing that comes out of any of the people in the admin or who speak for it. So, yes, I want the media to be watchdogs. I suspect you'd feel the same if it was a president hillary in the white house..

NY TIMES is not disclosing much of the stuff they do because they are being a watchdog or doing it for the public good. They do it to try to destroy this administration. They are liberal to the bone and will do anything to hurt any and all conservatives in office. I will go to the extent to say the owner and many of the employees at the NYTimes are evil. They are outright aiding the terrorists.

You are forgetting about the USS COLE? It wasnt 7 years in between Al Quiada attacks or attempted attacks on the US. In fact, they also had a failed attempt in 2000 on another ship before being succesful on the Cole.

Plus, the situation changed completely from the 7 years between attacks on the WTC, and what we have had after 9/11. After 9/11, AL quiada's desire to attack the US on US SOIL was intense. 9/11 had escelated the war. We had since invaded Afghanastan and had OBL on the run. OBL was suddenly making tapes and distributing them regularly calling for attacks on the great satan, USA.
We had invaded and ousted saddam. Pre 9/11, none of this was going on. If Al Quiada could have attacked during that time, they would have. The number of World Wide terrorist attacks intensified post 9/11 also, I believe.
And on top of that, if what you were to say is true, then why all the squaking that the Bush administration was messing up on national security. If they arent going to attack for another 7 years, why do we need any security until 2008?

You arent making any sense. They THREW THE CHARGERS OUT. The police captian was interviewed, he said the packages were cut open, the chargers were removed and disposed of.

Parts for cell phones arent sold to the public because the general public doesnt know how to repair cell phones, plus there really arent any parts to them, I think you open it and its simply one circuit board. So how can they be trying to sell the parts?

As for selling them overseas, someone mentioned that maybe they tossed the chargers because they were going to take the phones overseas. If they were going to take them overseas, what would be the reason other than to sell them?

1. The only reports I've seen made no mention of the chargers being disposed of.

2. I believe the implication is that the phones might be used as detonators overseas.

From http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/news/state/15272893.htm

The FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security sent out joint bulletins in February and March to police departments nationwide warning about the bulk purchase of prepaid TracFones for personal profit or financing terrorism, according to Brooks and Susan Raber, a spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Homeland Security.

Seems like the idea isn't as far fetched as some believe.

How fucking dense can you be?

ANYONE buying a thousand cell phones is a THREAT to something, WTF.

What ever happened to the old way of doing business?

Most wouldn't know, nor would they even care.

This is much too do about NOTHING.

Throw the dumb shits in jail, and be DONE with it.

There is NO cure for STUBID, just ask PSYHCO.:spank3:

yah, prove that, this is easier:

Latest report...DA not proceeding with charges at this time for lack of evidence. Coupled with the fact that the Feds were staying out of it leads me to believe this was probably nothing.

Latest report...DA not proceeding with charges at this time for lack of evidence. Coupled with the fact that the Feds were staying out of it leads me to believe this was probably nothing.

Seriously, tha† means what? Are we safer? Are their civil liberties strengthened?

Seriously, tha† means what? Are we safer? Are their civil liberties strengthened?

Not necessarily... But I think if the FBI lets you off the hook, it typically indicates that they dont suspect you of anything...

Ive been watching this story develop during the day, and apparently these guys have done this a lot of times before. They cannibalize the phones, and sell the chargers, the batteries and the phones seperately. Because you do know that places charge $40-60 for a replacment phone battery... Apparently theres money to be made there. Beats the hell out of me, but I guess it can be done.

But lets face the facts... There is simply not enough evidence to accuse these guys of anything.

Not necessarily... But I think if the FBI lets you off the hook, it typically indicates that they dont suspect you of anything....
That opinion is based on what? Were you an FBI employee previously? or currently?

I would think more like, if there isnt enough evidence, which there probably isnt in this case, or even if there is some evidence for a smaller crime, the FBI would probably prefer to just "tail" these guys for more info on bigger and better issues.

Ive been watching this story develop during the day, and apparently these guys have done this a lot of times before. They cannibalize the phones, and sell the chargers, the batteries and the phones seperately. Because you do know that places charge $40-60 for a replacment phone battery... Apparently theres money to be made there. Beats the hell out of me, but I guess it can be done.

But lets face the facts... There is simply not enough evidence to accuse these guys of anything.

"apparently" or in fact have done it before? The news I heard repeatedly is they threw away the chargers, which is in contradiction to what you are stating above.

Its simple, IF the info from the start was correct, that they threw away the chargers, then these guys are either idiots or have some ulterior motive than making money.

That opinion is based on what? Were you an FBI employee previously? or currently?

I would think more like, if there isnt enough evidence, which there probably isnt in this case, or even if there is some evidence for a smaller crime, the FBI would probably prefer to just "tail" these guys for more info on bigger and better issues.

Oh, and I suppose you are an FBI agent? You know how policy works? OMG OMG THE FBI NEVER LETS ANYONE OUT OF THEIR SIGHTS!!!!!! What is your opinion based on, besides the jumping to conclusions mat?

Please.

"apparently" or in fact have done it before? The news I heard repeatedly is they threw away the chargers, which is in contradiction to what you are stating above.

Its simple, IF the info from the start was correct, that they threw away the chargers, then these guys are either idiots or have some ulterior motive than making money.

They did not throw away the chargers. Again, conflicting media reports. Everything I have heard indicates that they sorted the chargers into separate boxes along with the batteries.

Why do we automatically assume that they aren't idiots? Is it because they're of Arabic descent (yet they are citizens)?

Yeah sure...

Everyday people go out and buy 100s of cellphones, and stand on a steet corner, trying too sell them............

I guess there's a profit in selling them, kinda like those fake rolex watches...:cool:

Forum List

Back