100 years in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avatar4321, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vf7HYoh9YMM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vf7HYoh9YMM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I must confess, I was stunned by this. I understand the need to be and win in Iraq. and I completely understand what McCain was saying. But hearing him say it was very shocking. I think the members of the audience were in agreement there.

I don't know if it will effect him in New Hampshire. But if he wins the nomination, it would make an effective sound byte in the general for the anti war vote to rally around.

2. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    I like McCain but that is scary.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I'm actually not sure it's scary. He's not wrong that we've been in korea for 60 years. And he specifically qualified it by saying "as long as our troops aren't being hurt"... (that's a paraphrase, btw). I don't think we should be there, but he does, so what he's saying really doesn't seem so incredible.

But why do you have to be "anti-war" to think being in Iraq is stupid? Perhaps it's better to only be pro wars that make sense.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

Why are you stunned. Some of us were predicting 5 years ago, that one major goal of the invasion was to establish permanent military bases, and that we were never leaving iraq.

And we used to get laughed at and called tinfoil hats for saying that. We were assured by bush fans that we were going to leave iraq.

5. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,028
    No you were not, you were assured that eventually we would not be doing the fighting. That we would not need 150k troops there. No one ever told you we weren't going to keep bases there if we were allowed to.

6. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

Stop lying. You know as well as I do, that bush fans like you were assuring us that we weren't going to stay in iraq forever.

And you and your lying buddies laughed at us liberals, when we told you 5 years ago, that we were going to into iraq to establish permanent bases.

7. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,028
    I never denied we would establish permanent bases, we need some there. That YOU think we don't is part and parcel of the big problem.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and we're still in Germany and Japan. Heck it's only in the past 8 years or so that serious discussions here and in Japan to rebuild more than defensive military there.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    True. But to be fair, we went in there after a justifiable war. This was a war of choice and I think the essential question is more one of should we be there at all, and the deception used to get us there.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well you know we disagree about the 'deception.' I think in general we will be out within a few years. My guess is that the new government will want us to keep a base, but if not, we should go.