100 year old driver runs over 11 people - No arrest

Brakes failed my butt. Even if true, he could have turned off the engine or shifted in neutral. But no arrest!!!

EarthLink - Top News

August 29, 2012 9:47 PM EDT
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 100-year-old man backed his car on to a sidewalk and hit 11 people, including nine children, across from an elementary school in South Los Angeles just after classes had ended Wednesday, authorities said.

Four of the children were in critical condition when firefighters arrived but they were stabilized and were in serious condition at a hospital, city fire Capt. Jaime Moore said. Everyone was expected to survive, he said.

The powder blue Cadillac backed slowly into the group of parents and children buying snacks from a sidewalk vendor, and the crowd banged on his windows and screamed for him to stop, but not before some of the children were trapped under the car, witnesses said.

Police identified the driver as Preston Carter and said he was being very cooperative.

Carter talked to television reporters after the crash some five miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles. He said he has a driver's license and will be 101 years old Sept. 5.

"My brakes failed. It was out of control," Carter told KCAL-TV.

Carter was pulling out of the grocery store parking lot, but instead of backing into the street, he backed onto the sidewalk, police Capt. George Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the collision was being investigated as an accident, and Carter was not under arrest

Come on idiot liberal Dumbocrats - where is the outrage and the call to ban automobiles? This is a mass driving!

Love this - glaring evidence of the idiot liberal Dumbocrat hypocrisy. Doesn't matter how many items kill people, the left only cries about guns.

May I assume they've already called you to testify as an expert witness. ?

I have been driving for two years, and in that two years, I have never had an incident with a younger driver, but I have had multiple incidents with the elderly drivers. That is enough for me to steer clear of these terrible drivers.

Multiple accidents in two years? Fuck woman. I've been driving for 50 years and I haven't had one and now I'm elderly and my record is still better than yours. You need to learn when to stfu.

INCIDENTS not ACCIDENTS. Learn to READ.

Comparing teen drivers with old drivers isn't comparable.

Teen drivers must meet a certain age, then pass driving tests, etc before they get a license.

Old people oppose an age ceiling where they would need to bes re-tested and pass a physical exam based on their aging body.

Old people probably think it is stupid to let a 13 year old drive a car, but they get pissed if we say anyone over 65 should get approval to keep driving every 1, 2, 5 or so years based on their age issues just like some pre-teen.

Older drivers don't want to be retested because they know they would fail. If they would pass, they'd be happy to take another test.

Older drivers don't want to be retested because they know they would fail. If they would pass, they'd be happy to take another test.

If geezers knew they'd go to prison for killing or maiming people, they'd stop driving. Stop coddling them.

If geezers knew they'd go to prison for killing or maiming people, they'd stop driving. Stop coddling them.

There was a write up in todays paper about older drivers. The state gov wants to encourage drivers over 75 to hang up the keys or stop driving as often. This old guy got his mug in the paper, and says he won't hang up his keys because he's a safe driver and a good driver - then he goes on to say he's had several 'minor' accidents in the past few years.

Safe driver? Nah. Good driver? Fuck no. Get the fuck off the road, old man.

He's probably too old to drive.

But as to any of us here KNOWING what happened?

We don't.

He's probably too old to drive.

But as to any of us here KNOWING what happened?

We don't.

He backed up and ran over 11 ppl so don't tell us nobody knows what happened. As for his story that the brakes failed; only you are simple enough to believe that. This claim about the brakes failing is an obvious lie and he should be prosecuted. Lets see if the jury buys his story.

Stop being a criminal coddler.

I have been driving for two years, and in that two years, I have never had an incident with a younger driver, but I have had multiple incidents with the elderly drivers.

I've been driving for 44 years.

The very first incident I had with another vehicle was in 2003. I'd been driving for 25 years.

If you've had "multiple incidents" with older drivers, I'm gonna' float the idea that maybe the older drivers aren't the problem...

Forum List

Back