100% recyclable plastics

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
new-plastic-image.jpg

A separate study, published in Nature on April 16, is the first study "to confirm a significant increase in open ocean plastics in recent decades," going back nearly 60 years. Researchers found a plastic bag that had been snared on Ireland's coast since 1965 and is possibly the first piece of plastic pollution ever found, according to the BBC.

That study was based off a 2015 investigation that estimated there were between 4.8 trillion and 12.7 trillion pieces of plastic entering the ocean every year.

Is the human mind capable of comprehending that staggering amount?

12.7 TRILLION.

I live in Vegas where $100 are as common as $20s. I’ve had $25,000 in my possession but trying to comprehend a million is hard, let alone trillions.

The major point here is that scientists have found a way to make plastics that completely disintegrate. Allowing every piece to be completely recycled.

Plastic pollution in the world's oceans may have a $2.5 trillion impact, negatively affecting "almost all marine ecosystem services," including areas such as fisheries, recreation and heritage. But a breakthrough from scientists at Berkeley Lab could be the solution the planet needs for this eye-opening problem – recyclable plastics.

The study, published in Nature Chemistry, details how the researchers were able to discover a new way to assemble the plastics and reuse them "into new materials of any color, shape, or form."

Most plastics were never made to be recycled,” said lead author Peter Christensen, a postdoctoral researcher at Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry, in the statement. “But we have discovered a new way to assemble plastics that takes recycling into consideration from a molecular perspective.”

More @ $2.5 trillion 'Holy Grail' found? Breakthrough discovery could lead to 100 percent recyclable plastics, scientists say

My son told me several years ago that anything that is buried in a landfill that is 24" deep has no oxygen and therefore will not disintegrate. Has that changed?

Forum List

Back