100% of Urban Prep Boys Headed for College

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Urban Prep would be a charter high school. It would bring together some 150 boys from some of the poorest, gang-ravaged neighborhoods and try to set them on a new track. They'd have strict rules: A longer school day -- by two hours. Two classes of English daily. A uniform with jackets and ties.

And Urban Prep had a goal -- one that seemed audacious, given that just 4 percent of the Class of 2010 was reading at or above grade level when they arrived at the school in 2006.

In four years, they were told, they'd be heading to college.

About 85 percent came from low-income families, the overwhelming majority single-mother households. Many kids lagged far behind in academics, but that wasn't their only obstacle.

Urban Prep's dress code -- no earrings, sneakers, baggy pants, long hair or bling -- is essential to a school philosophy that blends discipline with a reach-for-the-stars message.

Every student has at least one mentor -- maybe a coach or a teacher among a predominantly young faculty. About 60 percent of teachers at the Englewood campus (Urban Prep has another school and plans to open a third this fall) are black men. They serve as confidantes and role models to students, many of whom have no fathers in their lives.

It's one of the unorthodox steps taken for a student population that requires extra attention. That's the reason for the longer school hours, the double dose of English and mandatory 20 minutes of reading daily, the assessments every six weeks, Saturday classes and summer school for those who need it.

Chicago school's entire first class college-bound | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk

What a great story. Too bad regular public schools don't have the flexibility to do something like this. :(

Fantastic. That'll keep them off the unemployed rolls for 4 plus years. It's also a simple way to remove individual character. Brainwash 101.
By then the military will be needing a whole lot more cannon fodder.
These will be prime candidates. Future " Gunnies" in the "making".
The ones that don't qualify can become cops.

Brainwash 101? Like being staying out of gangs and leading a productive life? You put felons ahead of cops and soldiers?

I'm certain many of these kids will end up as teachers brainwashing other young lost boys.

Please stay away from children.

Urban Prep would be a charter high school. It would bring together some 150 boys from some of the poorest, gang-ravaged neighborhoods and try to set them on a new track. They'd have strict rules: A longer school day -- by two hours. Two classes of English daily. A uniform with jackets and ties.

And Urban Prep had a goal -- one that seemed audacious, given that just 4 percent of the Class of 2010 was reading at or above grade level when they arrived at the school in 2006.

In four years, they were told, they'd be heading to college.

About 85 percent came from low-income families, the overwhelming majority single-mother households. Many kids lagged far behind in academics, but that wasn't their only obstacle.

Urban Prep's dress code -- no earrings, sneakers, baggy pants, long hair or bling -- is essential to a school philosophy that blends discipline with a reach-for-the-stars message.

Every student has at least one mentor -- maybe a coach or a teacher among a predominantly young faculty. About 60 percent of teachers at the Englewood campus (Urban Prep has another school and plans to open a third this fall) are black men. They serve as confidantes and role models to students, many of whom have no fathers in their lives.

It's one of the unorthodox steps taken for a student population that requires extra attention. That's the reason for the longer school hours, the double dose of English and mandatory 20 minutes of reading daily, the assessments every six weeks, Saturday classes and summer school for those who need it.

Chicago school's entire first class college-bound | thetowntalk.com | The Town Talk

What a great story. Too bad regular public schools don't have the flexibility to do something like this. :(

It's a charter school, 75% of it's funding is from CPS. What's different is the discipline and one sex. Funny thing, study after study has shown that one sex high schools have a very significant effect on student performance in high school, the more disadvantage the student, the more significant the effect. Same with tracking by ability-in each track students do better than if no tracking. Education departments however are against both of these findings, they teach the 'non-inclusive' nature would have deleterious effects in the 'long run.' Of course that assumes that students would not be able to adjust to a more inclusive environment in later years. Funny thing, they don't seem to worry that the students won't be able to develop discipline and a work ethic when not taught the same in school.

Absolutely Annie. That's why I stated that public schools cannot follow the same models - even with the data that shows it works.

But look at Douger's post. That's not atypical of the "freedom of expression" crowd that believes that preparing kids for college may go against their fundamental right to wear baggie jeans.

Absolutely Annie. That's why I stated that public schools cannot follow the same models - even with the data that shows it works.

But look at Douger's post. That's not atypical of the "freedom of expression" crowd that believes that preparing kids for college may go against their fundamental right to wear baggie jeans.

I agree. There are legitimate reasons for curtailing the rights of minors, frontal lobe development being one of the most persuasive. I don't think that getting 100% of any student body is a great idea, but 100% preparedness for making a living is. College isn't or shouldn't be for all. Being able to read, write, and use math effectively is necessary in today's society.

BTW, when I use 100% I am referring to those capable of doing all the normal academics-not 100% of what now makes up our schools. Those with significant mental and life-threatening physical ailments will unlikely be able to live alone.

It's a small school. I believe there are less than a 100 kids. And of course they all won't make it. But without this place...

We are up to 28% special ed in my district. And now we are going all College Prep. Don't get me started. lol

One wonders what the investment per student year is there, in comparison to the investment for students in the same town.

I'm guessing it isn't that much more.

What IS different, I suspect, is the attitude of the students (and families of the students) going there.

While this type of program can't be scaled up to include all or even most disadvantaged minorities it is still a great idea. This is what affirmative action should be...making sure that able and energetic kids from the lower classes have a way to improve themselves through hard work.

Brainwash 101? Like being staying out of gangs and leading a productive life? You put felons ahead of cops and soldiers?

I'm certain many of these kids will end up as teachers brainwashing other young lost boys.

Please stay away from children.
He kinda sounds like Dante when he's at his worst. Why respond to an obvious troll.

Forum List

Back