100 Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
:( Reading your posts, and moi's last comment just struck a cord for some reason, had to post. I usually think of rascism as hating others with different features. Fear, Its fear that drives this hate. Im reminded, that all we must fear, is fear itself. Fear controls among other things. Edit: Im sure you guys know all this but we all must remember.

Discussing possible racial differences does not automatically make one a racist. I haven't heard anyone here espouse using these arguments for eugenics, genocide, slavery.... any of that bad stuff.

Intelligence is something we measure.
Intelligent measurements of adopted children correllated much more closely to their biological parents than their adopted, therefore we know much of "intelligence" is inherited.,
Since race is inherited also it makes sense that the two, race and intelligence, show a correlation.

The validity of this science or nonscience, whatever your view, still does not condone violating the individual rights any person, whatever their color. This is why I love the concept of individual rights, they apply to, you know, all of us together, individually.

RWA,

The worst bigotry, IMO, is the soft variety of lowered expectations. The overt examples you mention are more easily dealt with because they are out in the open.

But the insinuations and attitudes that certain groups are somehow incapable of success is harder to fight.

Originally posted by wonderwench
RWA,

The worst bigotry, IMO, is the soft variety of lowered expectations. The overt examples you mention are more easily dealt with because they are out in the open.

But the insinuations and attitudes that certain groups are somehow incapable of success is harder to fight.

I agree. Wasn't it great when our Bushy put that in that speech?

Even if this data were true, it wouldn't obviate anyone of responsibility for themselves and their success. If policies are enacted based on coddling or levelling, no one wins, but that's a different debate than this data itself.

:D

ps, how's your weekend.

I guess these theories could be used to justify having being black labelled a disablility. Now there's something the libs could really use! Personal success is not handicapable accessible. Sue the man!

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
If policies are enacted based on coddling or levelling, no one wins, but that's a different debate than this data itself.

A different debate, yes, but it would be more useful to look at how our programs based on coddling or leveling encourage people not to achieve on their own, rather than to look for scientific facts to explain why we think people cannot achieve. It should be noted that even white people who expect a free ride are susceptible, so it's really not a racial issue.

Discussing possible racial differences does not automatically make one a racist.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The validity of this science or nonscience, whatever your view, still does not condone violating the individual rights any person, whatever their color. This is why I love the concept of individual rights, they apply to, you know, all of us together, individually.
Again, I agree. Until everyone accepts the bad points about certain people or groups, as well as the good, nothing is going to change. You cannot convince someone who's lived all their lives seeing, hearing and otherwise experiencing behaviors that those behaviors DID NOT HAPPEN. If you want to excuse the behavior or offer reasons for it, that's another thing. But in order to do that you have to acknowledge the behavior first.

I would venture to say that most people who believe that there are no differences among races haven't spent a lot of time with any of them. There are differences. Whether those differences are genetic or cultural, they are there. Just hoping that the world will just suddenly stop noticing or pretending that there aren't valid reasons why people feel the way they do, will never change people's minds.

I've been lucky to live in several different states and in various economic brackets. There are many people of different races that I have come into contact with in all of those stages of my life. One thing rings true throughout everything: stereotypes are usually founded on something. I'm not saying that every member of a certain race is responsible for their fellow's actions - good or bad. But stereotypes don't just drop out of the sky. Sadly, just like with the news media, those that are the most common or absurd get the press. Such as it is with the race issue: the more grotesque the actions, the more it spreads.

Do you really think that all white cops are racist, egomaniacal scum who sodomize people?

Do you really think that all blacks on welfare were pregnant at 13?

Do you really believe that all Italians drive Mustangs and call each other "Don-aay!" (i.e., Tony with a Brooklyn accent) and paisan?

Come on. That's not reality. However, if you are bombarded with images every single day of your life, I can see how most people view those of Italian descent in this country as Brando's long lost cousins. Not one of my Italian relatives ever spoke like that. They never wore black. We don't eat spaghetti, lasagna or veal parmigiana at every meal. None drove mustangs and I can assure you, I have no relatives named "Dony" or "Guido" yet I am 100% of Italian descent. I'm the first person in my immediate family to marry a non-Italian. So to those people who think my life is one big Soprano's episode, I just chuckle.

The antidote isn't to sit around on your keyboard and insult those whose life experiences have led them to their beliefs. How about eradicating the behaviors which led to the belief in the first place?

Originally posted by Moi
The antidote isn't to sit around on your keyboard and insult those whose life experiences have led them to their beliefs. How about eradicating the behaviors which led to the belief in the first place?

Which behavior? The behavior of those members of a particular group that reinforce sterotypes of that group? Or the behavior of those who persist in playing up stereotypes about other groups? And wouldn't it be easier to change our own bigoted behavior than to try to change the poor behavior of either?

Originally posted by SinisterMotives
A different debate, yes, but it would be more useful to look at how our programs based on coddling or leveling encourage people not to achieve on their own, rather than to look for scientific facts to explain why we think people cannot achieve.

Perhaps then, this thread did not yield the value proposition you expected.:D
It should be noted that even white people who expect a free ride are susceptible, so it's really not a racial issue.

Oh, for sure, there are dumb whites. Some of them are my dearest relatives!

Which behavior? The behavior of those members of a particular group that reinforce sterotypes of that group? Or the behavior of those who persist in playing up stereotypes about other groups? And wouldn't it be easier to change our own bigoted behavior than to try to change the poor behavior of either?
I don't have any bigoted behavior. So, by that example, there would be nothing I could do to change the world. I don't accept that.

We need to change the behaviors that are leading to stereotyping.

An example: I think it would go a long way toward credibility of the cops and the subsequent erasure of the stereotype if cops who do perform illegl acts were prosecuted. Think how much more trust the blacks in NY would have in the police force if the renegade racist ones were drummed out of the force and/or sent to jail for their actions? Consequently, the relationship between the police and the blacks would be all that much more about law vs. law breaker rather than black vs. white. Blacks, by having reinvigorated faith in the law itself (rather than in the police), would begin to act accordingly and police themselves. If each group (police and blacks) had more faith in the outcome of the system, incidents of law breaking would be treated properly and neither group would be the victim of stereotyping becuse the trust would be there.

It takes members of both those stereotyped and those believing the stereotype to address the behavior which caused the stereotype in a way that will bring about change.

Originally posted by Moi
I don't have any bigoted behavior.

Far be it from me to call you a bigot, but we all have default assumptions and unconscious prejudices. That's just part of being human. Some of us are just better at identifying them and weeding them out than others.

Originally posted by Moi
We need to change the behaviors that are leading to stereotyping.

It takes members of both those stereotyped and those believing the stereotype to address the behavior which caused the stereotype in a way that will bring about change.

I fully agree. What I'm saying is, we can't change someone else's behavior, only our own. While changes on both sides are necessary, each side can only work on its own behavior - without making it contingent upon whether or not the other side choses to do so.

"FACT #2: Throughout 6,000 years of recorded history, the Black African Negro has invented nothing. Not a written language, weaved cloth, a calendar, a plow, a road, a bridge, a railway, a ship, a system of measurement, or even the wheel. (Note: This is in reference to the pure-blooded Negro.) He is not known to have ever cultivated a single crop or domesticated a single animal for his own use (although many powerful and docile beasts abounded around him.) His only known means of transporting goods was on the top of his hard burry head. For shelter he never progressed beyond the common mud hut, the construction of which a beaver or muskrat is capable. (21) (39)"

Archaeological evidence has proved the existence of thriving agraririan and trading civilizations in Africa long before the first european ever set foot on the continent. So much for "fact #2".

While there are some items which contain <i>some</i> valid statiscal and empirical data, that data and information has been taken out of context and is used to justify Mr. Root's racism. The vast majority of these so called "facts" are nothing but pure racist bullshit.

Black american invented stop lights. Ya, its rascist BS, right when he said that and burley head, Its obvious. hm, always thought that putting baskets on top of head ladys to transport things was kinda sexy, duno why.

FACT #21: The name Homo sapien was first used by the 18th Century Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus. The word "sapien" means "wise." The name was originally used to speak of the White man and synonymous with "europaeus." As a result, many later taxonomists and geneticists believed that Negroes and other races should be classified as different species. In fact, Darwin declared in The Descent of Man that the varieties of mankind are so distinct that similar differences found in any other animal would warrant their classification in different species, if not different genera.

Darwin's 19th-century "declaration" aside, we now know that all races are genetically much more alike than they are different.

FACT #35: A Black person is 56 TIMES more likely to attack a White person than Vice Versa.

FACT #36: Black rapists choose White victims over half (54.9%) of the time, 30X as often as Whites choose Blacks.

Since whites compose 70% or more of the U.S. population and control a large percentage of the nation's wealth, it's not surprising that the victim of a crime committed by a member of any race will more likely than not be a white person.

Quote by bullypulpit:
Archaeological evidence has proved the existence of thriving agraririan and trading civilizations in Africa long before the first european ever set foot on the continent. So much for "fact #2".

While there are some items which contain <i>some</i> valid statiscal and empirical data, that data and information has been taken out of context and is used to justify Mr. Root's racism. The vast majority of these so called "facts" are nothing but pure racist bullshit. [/B][/QUOTE]

You would think that with Africans being on earth hundereds of thousands of years long before Europeons evolved that Africans would have had some kind of civilization created.

I am sure that whatever kind of proof that you can find to back up your statement (if you can) will pale in comparison to the achivements of Europeons at that time.

As for the rest of your statement, you are basically saying you can not prove any of the 100 facts incorrect, so you make a personal attack on the writer.

Jones:
All the great inventions in the world, and the best you can come up with is a street light?

SinisterMotives:
You are correct, the gentic differences between the different races is small:

http://newnation.org/Millard/Millard-Of-Worms-And-Men.html

Since whites compose 70% or more of the U.S. population and control a large percentage of the nation's wealth, it's not surprising that the victim of a crime committed by a member of any race will more likely than not be a white person.

Sinistermotives, you have a one sided way at looking at things, this might help explain this subject:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/elder102600.asp

FACT #48: The Declaration of Independence, which contains the oft-repeated phrase ". . . all men are created equal . . ." was written by Thomas Jefferson, who owned about 200 slaves at the time and never set any of them free, including the mulattoes and quadroons. Jefferson's words certainly had no reference to Negroes, who at that time had no place in American society except as property.

Despite having owned slaves himself, Jefferson was morally opposed to slavery. His inability to reconcile slavery with universal equality was a dillemma that haunted him his entire life. [http://www.smlc-elca.org/Sunday_sermons/november_16_2003_sermon.html]

From the day Thomas Jefferson took office until he left he was plagued by excruciating headaches. Although Jefferson was a slave owner, he was morally opposed to slavery. He introduced a proposal to the Continental Congress that would have forbidden slavery in any new territories. Had that resolution carried, there may never have been a Civil War. It lost by a single vote. Perhaps because his political base was in the South, Jefferson did nothing about slavery during his presidency. President Truman was probably right when he pointed to that inaction as the source of Jefferson's headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back