Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
A Spinoff from another series:

I think a better question would be, "Is college education worth the cost?"

I don't think it is.

Indeed, it depends.

If you go to a very selective college, and you major in Finance, and you get a $200,000signing bonus with a huge Brokerage House...

Frankly, I don't know why this is such a difficult problem: Pick a major that will cause you to market yourself to someone willing to pay for your degree!

Why, then, would anyone spend more than $200 for a degree in UnderWaterBasket Weaving?

Why would anyone get a BA in Elementary Education that costs $100,000???

Let's just get real a moment: These parents, and their kids aren't THAT STUPID.

They are paying what was once called a "Dowry." University costs began to soar when more women began to attend college than men...coincidence? I think not. Parents are paying to send little Muffy off to college to find a husband.

Last edited:
These questions remind me why children don't like education today. It doesn't concern them, it only concerns money, and if money is your gawd then why not sports or entertainment? Where have our values gone when life is measured by piles of bucks?

"'The Culture of Contentment' is a deliberate misnomer. Galbraith is using irony here, irony little short of sarcasm. What he really means is the culture of smugness. His argument is that until the mid 1970s round about the oil crisis the western democracies accepted the idea of a mixed economy and with that went economic social progress. Since then, however, a prominent class has emerged, materially constable and even very rich, which, far from trying to help the less fortunate, has developed a whole infrastructure - politically and intellectually - to marginalize and even demonize them. Aspects of this include tax reductions to the better off and welfare cuts to the worst off, small 'manageable wars' to maintain the unifying force of a common enemy, the idea of 'unmitigated laissez-faire as embodiment of freedom,' and a desire for cutback in government. The most important collective end result of all this, Galbraith says, is a blindness and a deafness among the 'contented' to the growing problems of society. While they are content to spend, or have spent in their name, trillions of dollars to defeat relatively minor enemy figures... they are extremely unwilling to spend money on the underclass nearer home. In a startling paragraph he quotes figures to show that 'the number of Americans living below the poverty line increased by 28% in just 10 years from 24.5 million in 1978 to 32 million in 1988 by then nearly one in five children was born in poverty in the United States more than twice as high a proportion as in Canada or Germany" Peter Watson

Above quotations from Chap 36, 'Doing Well, Doing Good,' in [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Mind-Intellectual-History-Century/dp/0060084383/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th…[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Contentment-Penguin-economics-Galbraith/dp/0140173668/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Culture of Contentment, the (Penguin economics) (9780140173666): John Kenneth Galbraith: Books[/ame]

Is this where we are heading?
Jared Diamond on why societies collapse | Video on TED.com

"If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you. On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness." David Foster Wallace

These questions remind me why children don't like education today. It doesn't concern them, it only concerns money, and if money is your gawd then why not sports or entertainment? Where have our values gone when life is measured by piles of bucks?

One response, and it must be rambling nonsense.

Our values have always been measured by a pile of bucks.

Aww not so much so.

The greed phenomena has been growing for the last 30 years or so.
We place much more emphasis on money compared to other things in our lives now that we did in the past.

Aww not so much so.

We place much more emphasis on money compared to other things in our lives now that we did in the past.

Columbus wasn't sailing west because he was bored.

Ford didn't build cars because he was tired of walking.

Greed has been around more than 30 years, amigo.

that's what I'd do if I had a daughter, had 3 son's sent them all off to play college sports.

This is just fucking amazing:

EVERYONE AGREES THAT college costs have increased as a result of more women attending college so they can get their MRS degrees???

You've Come A Long Way, Baby.:doubt:

yeah, non of them get real degrees
real men don't bash woman. turn in your man card you douche!!!

EVERYONE AGREES THAT college costs have increased as a result of more women attending college so they can get their MRS degrees???

When I went back to school in my early 20's, it was to find a good job with job security, not a husband.:)

Aww not so much so.

Hell, Leonardo Da Vinci used the rotten science of perpetual motion to scam many citizens out of their savings. The "magic wheel" appeared in 8th century Bavaria.

A survey of last year's college graduates revealed that 80 percent moved back home after graduating, up a good bit from 63 percent in 2006, the Baltimore Sun reports. The same CollegeGrad.com survey of 2,000 young adults also showed that seven in 10 graduates said they would live at home until they got a job.With the unemployment rate at 14.7 percent for people aged 20 to 24--double what it was in 2007--that could be awhile. Add in a record student-loan debt for undergraduates--$22,700, according to the College Board--and any credit card debt a student is carrying, and it could be even longer.

How to make it work when college grads return home to live.

Contrast this with a recent Pew Research survey found that only one out of five grown children (aged 18-34) now lives with his or her parents. So, far more college graduates are living with their parents than their non-graduating peers.

Last edited:
A Spinoff from another series:

I think a better question would be, "Is college education worth the cost?"

I don't think it is.

Indeed, it depends.

If you go to a very selective college, and you major in Finance, and you get a $200,000signing bonus with a huge Brokerage House...

Frankly, I don't know why this is such a difficult problem: Pick a major that will cause you to market yourself to someone willing to pay for your degree!

Why, then, would anyone spend more than $200 for a degree in UnderWaterBasket Weaving?

Why would anyone get a BA in Elementary Education that costs $100,000???

Let's just get real a moment: These parents, and their kids aren't THAT STUPID.

They are paying what was once called a "Dowry." University costs began to soar when more women began to attend college than men...coincidence? I think not. Parents are paying to send little Muffy off to college to find a husband.

LMAO. It's the dating game of the 21st century.

The joke at business school was that the guys were there to get an MBA degree while the chicks were there for an MRS degree. :lol:

A survey of last year's college graduates revealed that 80 percent moved back home after graduating, up a good bit from 63 percent in 2006, the Baltimore Sun reports. The same CollegeGrad.com survey of 2,000 young adults also showed that seven in 10 graduates said they would live at home until they got a job.With the unemployment rate at 14.7 percent for people aged 20 to 24--double what it was in 2007--that could be awhile. Add in a record student-loan debt for undergraduates--$22,700, according to the College Board--and any credit card debt a student is carrying, and it could be even longer.

Contrast this with a recent Pew Research survey found that only one out of five grown children (aged 18-34) now lives with his or her parents. So, far more college graduates are living with their parents than their non-graduating peers.

1 in 5 18 to 34 or 18 to 34 grads sounds like BS to me.

When I went back to school in my early 20's, it was to find a good job with job security, not a husband.:)

SOOOOooooOOOO....Are you suggesting that ALL women go to college only to find a "good," job?

:confused:
And the revelant point is?

SOOOOooooOOOO....Are you suggesting that ALL women go to college only to find a "good," job?
Not at all, but I am supporting this assertion:

;)

Now, that being said, I have met more than one nurse who went to nursing school, so that she could go to work in a hospital, where she would find a doctor to marry.:)

Forum List

Back