10 years ago - where were you.

I had just finished going over the morning work with my first graders, and happened to be standing near the door to my classroom. A fellow teacher went running by, and I stepped out into the hall and asked what was wrong. Without stopping, she said that terrorists had flown planes into the World Trade Center buildings, and they were evacuating the White House. I was stunned. I turned back to look at my students, who were busy doing their work, and my heart felt so heavy as I realized that they were about to lose a special sort of innocence that day. I knew that I had to remain calm and composed. The principal came by each classroom to make sure we didn’t turn the televisions on in the lower elementary. Older students were allowed to gather and watch the events unfold to see history in the making. I called my then husband, and asked him to go pick up our son, who would be turning 3 in five days. We decided to leave our daughter at school, who was in fifth grade, knowing her teacher from our church. Even being in SW Missouri out in the middle of nowhere, I kept looking out the window at the blue sky, and searching for planes. Once I got home, after hugging my children and thanking God for our safety, I spent the next several hours glued to the television watching the news. I was finally able to let go and cry. My heart was breaking for our country. I remember feeling less afraid after the President talked to us that night, but still a lot of uncertainty about the future when I laid my head down on the pillow to go to sleep that night. I fell asleep praying for all the victims, their families, and America.

Monroe, WA - Just north east of Seattle.

Up at the usual 0530 and out of the shower, hit the clicker for CNN in the AM.

My exact words as the second plane surprised one and all were "Fuck me. This is a game changer". Easiest prediction I ever made.

Song by Alan Jackson. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyPtqvaKAfU]Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning? - YouTube[/ame]

I was in the Operations Support center for the New York Stock Exchange. It was located off site in Brooklyn. We got a call from one of the operator's wives that stating that there were lots of papers outside her window. We turned on the television and saw the second plane crash into the building. Everyone was stunned. Even in Brooklyn the air was thick with an acrid smell. We knew this was going to be bad.

I was up at about 5 AM(8 AM NY timx e) that morning as usual. I was sitting in my office at home, at the computer, working on the business plan for one of my inventions. The TV in the next room was on and I could see it from where I sat concentrating on the format and graphics of the program I had recently purchased. I looked over and I think NBC news was on and they looked pretty scared and I can't really remember anything but the fear in their faces so I got up and grabbed the channel changer and turned the TV to CNN. Then as the pictures of the first tower started being shown on all the channels I remember frantically changing channels with the remote and saw the second plane hit tower two in real time. It was at that moment I as well as the whole country knew we were under an organized attack. I remember thinking about how I had been at the top of one of the towers just a few years previously and how high up the observation platform was and then reflected on how scared those people must be...

That's one thing I remembered for the longest time; when Katie Couric's voice started shaking.

In my car. I had the radio station still on the same place I had listened to music to the night before. I realized all of a sudden that I was listening to Howard Stern. I never listened to him. He was talking about planes and the WTC and a crash or something. Well, I don't like him so I turned it off. Had no idea what he was talking about. Went and got some pastries and turned on the tv when I got home. Then I understood. It was so shocking.

In my car. I had the radio station still on the same place I had listened to music to the night before. I realized all of a sudden that I was listening to Howard Stern. I never listened to him. He was talking about planes and the WTC and a crash or something. Well, I don't like him so I turned it off. Had no idea what he was talking about. Went and got some pastries and turned on the tv when I got home. Then I understood. It was so shocking.

I heard it on Stern too, and I rarely listened to him...they were confused as to what exactly was happening at first too. I had just come from a job interview, and went to pick up my girlfriend, when she came out she said she just saw the 2nd plane hit, which is when I figured out what they were talking about. Spent the rest of the day at my dad's shop watching it on TV. Nothing has been the same since.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and for keeping it apolitical. :clap2:

Interesting, saddening, and empathetic to hear everyone's experiences. Not sure that I just used "empathetic" correctly, but you know what I mean.

I heard it on Stern too, and I rarely listened to him...they were confused as to what exactly was happening at first too. I had just come from a job interview, and went to pick up my girlfriend, when she came out she said she just saw the 2nd plane hit, which is when I figured out what they were talking about. Spent the rest of the day at my dad's shop watching it on TV. Nothing has been the same since.

Stern was amazing. I didn't hear him that day but for several years afterwards he played the original broadcast on 9/11.

Myself, I was overslept at trade school in Cleveland, my roommate woke me up and said "Kev, we're late for school; and we ain't got school today because some asshole flew a plane into the World Trade Center" in his colloquial southern VA accent.

Hell of a day; Both Cleveland and my school have particularly high Muslim populations. Made for an interesting and awkward several weeks.

I had just gotten out of the Air Force the day before & I still have the temp base pass that expired on 9/11/01. I remember sitting at the table feeding my not quite yet 1 year old daughter breakfast when my then-wife called & told me about the tower being hit. I remember being glued to the set all day & knew after the second plane, that our country was being deliberately targeted by terrorists.

If anyone watched the CBS documentary tonight, just seeing that brought back all the old memories of horror & revulsion. Some of the behind the scenes video was both remarkable & sickening at the same time. The camera actually got the sound of those who jumped slamming into the ground. I could not imagine being one of those firefighters in that situation when the realization of that moment happened.

I have been to Pearl Harbor on a few occassions & while that was tragic & sad (God rest those brave souls), the brutality of the 9/11 attacks was beyond comparison. I took my nearly 11-year old daughter to Shanksville this summer & we just sat there in complete silence taking it all in. She may not remember the events of 9/11, but I thank God that I can tell her I love her. There are many families who lost loved ones who can never do that again.

Never take your family for granted, always hold them dear. 9/11 taught us that we are just as vulnerable as anyone else. God Bless America....

VR-57 on North Island, in the doorway between Maintenance control and the duty office watching the tv in the duty office. We were all asking where exactly is our skipper and his crew and sure enough, they were on a run to New York.

Went upstairs to my job in OPS and the 18 hour days started for the week. At one point, our squadron were the only ones in the air (we delivered a robot to the Pennsylvania nightmare.)

What a horrible, horrible time that was. We all kept saying the same thing...payback! Then off to Iraq we went..?

Oh and I dont think I am the only who, after the first one hit said, some ass ran into one of the twin towers. What an idiot. No big deal. By the time I got to work, everything changed....everything. We were under attack.

Last edited:
I had gotten up, taken my morning run, and was having a cup of coffee. I still remember what a beautiful September day it was. I normally started my workday later in the morning, but that day I was going in early to catch up on some paperwork before things got busy. The phone rang; it was my daughter-"Dad, do you have the TV on? A plane hit the World Trade Center!" I flipped on the morning news from our local NBC station and saw the hole and the smoke. my first thought was, "That's no light plane; more like a cargo plane or airliner; how could it hit the building in clear weather?". My next thought was, "Oh my God, I don't think they can put out a fire that large, that high up; this is going to be really bad; anyone trapped above that fire ...I don't think they can get to them..". Right about then, the second plane hit and then I knew, this was no accident. I still had the phone; I can remember my daughter saying,"Dad, what is it?" and I remember saying, "Terrorist attack! The damn ragheads are using airliners as missiles!" and then, "Where are our fighters?" until I remembered that with the Cold War over, there probably weren't armed fighters ready on the tarmac anymore. I got this sick feeling, wondering how many more planes they had, and then the other reports started coming in.... I never got to work that day.

I was in living in Portland, getting ready for work. My wife called me out into the living room and said, "You have to watch this. You are not going to believe what just happened."

We sat entranced watching the planes hit the World Trade Center on the TV screen over and over. I was terrified. I was convinced this was the start of World War III. I was waiting to hear that nuclear missiles were being launched against our enemies.

We spend the day at home, praying and meditating. We were in shock.

Worse, I knew my cousin worked there and was likely dead.

Last edited:
I was traveling from George Bush International Airport in Houston with a woman that was going to a meeting in downtown Houston...I had a contract to haul people to business meetings then...she was from the North tower of the WTC and her husband was in the tower. We got in the car, were talking a bit and the radio was on and I had a small portable television...when the radio announcer said that a small plane or helicopter had hit the tower...she said how in the hell can a plane hit the tower? How can you not fn see the tower? I turned on the television and the scenes were appearing..just as I did that she saw the shadow of the second plane and said oh my god its another plane what in the hell is happening...it exploded going through the tower and she was speechless and trying to dial her husband..I had to dial for her and she didn't get through right away but eventually did...he was safe but shaken pretty badly he said it felt like a huge earthquake when the plane hit. We sat on the side of the roadway unable to move as we both watched the television events really not fully able to comprehend who would do such a thing...tears streamed down our faces as the towers collapsed and we both leaned on each other..two perfect strangers pulled together by a situation that was incredibly awful. Downtown was blocked off anyway so we really could not go anywhere but where we were..cars were parked along 59 just like we were..they were listening to the news. I took her back to my apartment where she stayed while she arranged for a rental car to get her back to New York City...she worked for Cantor Fitzgerald. I remember everything from that day like it was yesterday. I try not to remember it.

I just got done working out and was cooling down with a Smoothie before my shower and racing off to work.
I just watched in stunned amazement and I got angrier and sadder as the day went on. I didn't go to work that day. Actually, I was glued to the TV for just about 24 hours before I fell asleep on the sofa.
I didn't make it to work the next day either, but then the company I worked for closed for the remainder of the week anyway.

Thanks to all who posted. I won't say it was a pleasure to read your comments, because pleasure would sound wrong, but it was very poignant. And the spirit of respect demonstrated by all posters was a nice thing to see.

Kudos to all.

I was at work and didn't immediately appreciate the enormity of what happened. We also have a World Trade Center in Baltimore,so when I heard a plane hit, I thought it was some knuckle-head in a small private plane here in town. That notion didn't last long as more peiople started talking about what really happened. A Muslim co-worker freaked out, thinking that he and other Muslims were going to be rounded up in the following days. A Lebanese-Christian co-worker started wearing his cross over his shirt instead of under it, just in case ther might some mistaken-identity retaliation.

Forum List

Back