10 years ago - where were you.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tigerbob, Sep 11, 2011.

1. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Suspecting that there would be plenty of people making observations apportioning blame, I thought I'd ask what people remember personally about where they were that day. What were you doing when you first heard what was going on?

Please, no politics for a change. Maybe we can get through a whole thread without someone deciding that they have to blame someone. Maybe the whole thread can be about respect for those who died, pity for those left to grieve, and support for those who worked so hard (irrespective of their political leanings) and in many cases gave their lives, to help with rescue efforts.

If we can get through a whole day without two groups ending up fighting each other about stupid partizan irrelevancies, maybe that would be truly demonstrating respect as opposed to just saying it.

So, where were you that day?

BTW - can I suggest to all readers that neg rep would be a good way to respond to anyone making a politically loaded post? I have never neg repped anyone in 3 years on this board, but on this particular thread I will dispense with that principle.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I was in a meeting just outside London, England.

We had a hugely important presentation scheduled for the following day, involving a potential investment of over $100 million. Our boss, a guy called Chris, was saying that for the next 24 hours, nothing was more important.

Then we came out of the meeting room and found out what was going on. Everything about the meeting was forgotten.

Pretty much everyone in the office went to a local bar and watched the news on the BBC as the events unfolded. I still remember the rumors, pretty much all of which proved to be untrue, but it was that kind of day, when even the most improbable things suddenly seemed possible, or even likely.

As I watched, safe in a bar thousands of miles away, people made the choice to jump to their deaths to escape the pain of the flames.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,893
    i was home...outside painting the ends of boards to keep them from 'checking' ...it was a such a wonderful fall day here....just like it is today....when my husband called....he told me that a plane had hit the world trade center.... i remember waving the brush in circles....going....how the fuck does someone not see the damn trade centers the biggest things in ny? he told me to go inside and turn on the tv.....they had done this on purpose....the day just blurs from there

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,893
    we went to give blood...they were turning people away..there were hundreds in line

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    I was getting my son ready for jr high school day.

we watched some and then I made him get ready for school and go.

I just felt he needed to be with his own generation on that day.

I felt we needed to be as normal as possible.

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I was home watching the event on TV. Then at a Funeral Mass for a Neighbor. Both Towers had already fallen.

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    On this morning, I was sitting on the sofa drinking a cup of coffee getting ready to go to work. I had my suit on and was all dressed ready to head to the office. Was just finishing up that second cup of coffee for the morning. I was watching Fox News. As I watched the tv, I saw the second plane come in and strike the second tower. I thought to myself. Some air traffic controller is in a world of shit today. Then it suddenly came to me that this was no accident. Shortly afterwards they made the announcement that the Pentagon had been hit. I thought to myself. This is the beginning of a war. I went to the office and closed it down for the day sending home the employees and paying them for the day. It was not a day to conduct business. I came back home and watched the events unfold throughout the day thinking to myself that we would never be the same as a nation.

8. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,044
    At my parent's.

It's my father's birthday today.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    for about the first 6 hours or so, I was wondering if my wife was on one of those planes as she was traveling from Portland Maine through Boston and unto Washington DC.

As I didn't know her flight numbers, and until much later didn't know the flights numbers of the planes that hit the WTC, I was sorta sweating having to raise my son by myself.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Sunshine

Sunshine Trust the pie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,045
    I was at work doing some charting. One of our clerks came in and told me a plane had hit the WTC. I thought it was a small plane like the one that hit the Empire State Building once several years back. Then a few minutes later she came back and told me another plane had hit the other tower. I said, 'two planes?' Again she returned and told me that one tower was down. I just looked at her. She came back again and said that both towers were down. I could only say incredulously, 'they are both down?'

It was beyond all reason. I didn't have a radio in my office, didn't see the broadcasts until that night. I honestly just didn't get it until I saw the videos of what had happened.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011