10 Years After Katrina

A lot of what you see there was that way prior to Katrina. Six Flags for instance had been closed for years. It was a fun place, unfortunately being in the East, it was overrun by a lot of kids that just went there to hang out and cause trouble. Then the paying folks stopped going and it, like everything else in the East, went to shit. Hell, hey couldn't even keep a mall open because people were being shot and/or robbed in the parking lot.

The Lower Nine and other places like that, had been shitholes for years.

Holy shit!!
You just described the demise of Astro World in Houston to a T!!
Parents would spring for a season pass and drop the broke ass punks at the park all year rather than have to deal with them.
Of course it wasnt long after that the first stabbing happened and that was the end of that.

I think the point is that George Bush took a ton of heat for his handling of Katrina and from what I can tell, the democrats with all their outrage, haven't done shit to help the people there since.

The people in New Orleans are not suffering. What you are seeing in the pictures in mostly land owned by absentee slumlords, who never bothered to buy flood insurance, because the houses were not even worth insuring. That pretty much apples to the whole 9th ward. The people moved out, most to Houston, and the landlords never rebuilt, because the flood plain maps were changed, and now, you can not buy flood insurance (or get a mortgage) in those areas unless you elevate the house by 9 feet. Therefore, the people are gone, the houses were abandoned, and nobody has figured out how to pay to clean it up (not that it would do much good to do so, because abandoned lots in New orleans revert to tropical forest and swamps within a few short years.) As for the amusement park, interestingly enough, East New Orleans is not an African-American ghetto. It is a Vietnamese gang infested area.

Yup! - It's all about the insurance. People could not get loans to build houses in those disaster areas without insurance. Government & Big Insurance companies taxed the shit out of the rest of us to subsidize Rich People building on the oceans & idiots building in flood plains. I'm glad to Obama & Congress end this wasteful flood insurance subsidy.

When Europeans first started building New Orleans, the local Indians looked on in amazement. They tried to tell them how dangerous it was but the settlers laughed at them and do so anyhow. Guess they thought they were either smarter than those barbarians or knew how to build to keep the water away.

If you look at old N.O. it's on the the only high ground around.

No indians were telling Europeans not to build New Orleans. The original city was built where the French Quarter is today, and stayed within that area until the late 1800's. The original city (the French Quarter) is on a natural levee on the west bank of the Mississippi, and did not flood. The low lying areas were developed from around 1880 onwards, and would not have been built, if New Orleans had not become one of the nations busiest ports, which provided jobs. The Mississippi drains 2/3 of the contiguous US, and consequently, the Nation needs it as a portal to the rest of the world's trade. For the most part, ocean going vessels can not go much further north on the Mississippi River than New Orleans.

4f37b72f-d8ee-4908-8c33-d3a37bc79bf4-2060x1368.jpeg

This is what Brits see about how our nation deals with natural disasters. This is La. But could be several other places just as easily. If you want to see all of the disgusting pictures, go to A tour of abandoned New Orleans 10 years after Katrina - in pictures Cities The Guardian

Oh, London has enough decay of its own to worry about....

12a7a69b31159764d98bd3135c319351.jpg

No indians were telling Europeans not to build New Orleans. The original city was built where the French Quarter is today, and stayed within that area until the late 1800's. The original city (the French Quarter) is on a natural levee on the west bank of the Mississippi, and did not flood. The low lying areas were developed from around 1880 onwards, and would not have been built, if New Orleans had not become one of the nations busiest ports, which provided jobs. The Mississippi drains 2/3 of the contiguous US, and consequently, the Nation needs it as a portal to the rest of the world's trade. For the most part, ocean going vessels can not go much further north on the Mississippi River than New Orleans.

Actually, I believe that the original original city was destroyed in a flood approximately one year after being settled. That prompted the people to lift and shift.

Before the arrival of Europeans, the Chitimacha Indians inhabited the Mississippi River Delta area of south central Louisiana. When the first French settlers arrived in the early 1700, these Indians lived in villages surrounded by water. They were the ones to describe the storms and how easily the area was flooded.

The French not only ignored the warning but almost wiped them out,. Only those few hiding in the bayous survived,.

I think most people are taking the pictures wrongly. They are showing the improvement to NO after Katrina.

4f37b72f-d8ee-4908-8c33-d3a37bc79bf4-2060x1368.jpeg

This is what Brits see about how our nation deals with natural disasters. This is La. But could be several other places just as easily. If you want to see all of the disgusting pictures, go to A tour of abandoned New Orleans 10 years after Katrina - in pictures Cities The Guardian
I was in New Orleans last month. yes there are places like this but most of the city has recovered from what I have seen. I believe the places untouched are places where the people just stayed in the city they went to for Katrina. I know here in Jacksonville we still have a bunch of Katrina evacuees left and our crime rate shows it ..

Forum List

Back