10 year old charged with terrorist acts and threats ... for a cap gun

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
NEWTON COUNTY, Ga. -- The latest case of zero-tolerance at the public schools has a 10-year-old student sadder and wiser, and facing expulsion and long-term juvenile detention. And it has his mother worried that his punishment has already been harsher than the offense demands.

"I think I shouldn't have brought a gun to school in the first place," said the student, Alandis Ford, sitting at home Thursday night with his mother, Tosha Ford, at his side.

Alandis' gun was a "cap gun," a toy cowboy six-shooter that his mother bought for him.

"We got it from Wal-Mart for $5.96," Tosha Ford said, "in the toy section right next to the cowboy hats. That's what he wanted because it was just like the ones he was studying for the Civil War" in his fifth-grade class at Fairview Elementary School.

<snip>

Alandis was charged with possessing a weapon on school property and with terroristic acts and threats.

Link

Seriously ...

What.The.Fuck.

WAY TOO MUCH!

We've had students bring in toy knives and toy guns too, they got suspended anywhere from 1 to 5 days depending on their previous write ups.

Each school district makes their own "Zero Tolerance Policy"-this one went way over the line imo.

IN all fairness, I watched a kid almost get killed by cops about 12 years ago because he was carrying a toy pistol that looked EXACTLY like a 9mm. But that was at 2 a.m. on a dark street in a dangerous neighborhood.

I'd say there is just no damn reason for this kind of overreaction at school with a cowboy cap pistol.

Several years ago, a school-mate of my youngest was charged with "terrorist acts". He was shooting at a street sign with a BB-gun. BB-guns are illegal in this state. Oh, and he was "caught" because someone, who was looking out their window, saw him and reported it.

Several years ago, a school-mate of my youngest was charged with "terrorist acts". He was shooting at a street sign with a BB-gun. BB-guns are illegal in this state. Oh, and he was "caught" because someone, who was looking out their window, saw him and reported it.

If a kid shoots a street sign with a BB gun and nobody sees it does it still count as a terrorist act?

Schools are run on the lowest common denominator system.

That's basically why potentially good educators so often leave the profession.

Idiotic educational philosophies like ZERO tolerance demand that we stop using our brains and march lockstep to the tune of the dumbest most fearful, most conservative (socially, not politically) people in society.

Most school have become social/political tyrannies run by complete nitwits.

Some of you think schools are run by liberals, other imagine they're run by coservatives.

You're both right...

Public schools, ever seeking NOT to get into trouble with their idiotic school board members, are run such that they pander to the dumbest most fearful, most easily affrontable school board members serving BOTH goofy, over the top philosophies.

Forum List

Back