10 Worst Distortions of 2004 Campaign

It is a conservative website. Did you disagree with some of their listings re top 10 distortions?

well it seems like a good compilation of the liberal spin during the
election. But by omitting the Republican spin on some of the topics
I am not sure that it represents a good top 10 media distortion list.

I would rate the draft fear stories higher due to the immediate
clarification by the Bush team that there is no such plan
and it was pretty much a democratic setup to begin with.

The Swift Boat story was working more against Kerry then being
a critical story against Republicans.

Edwards liberal image seemed not distorted. At least I saw him as
the commie lawyer that he is. Talking about the class divide in the
US etc.

The economy is a half glass full half empty story and I am not
sure that either side was over represented in the media.

Number 3 and 1 the Bush dodge accusations were old news in a new
political spin with a blatant "hey Dan use this forgery by the Kerry
campaign advisor twist that definitly was one of the top distortions.

The Iraq goes nuclear story by Cheney should be included imo.

Well there was so much mudslinging by both sides in the election
cycle it would have been a better and more balanced story if
they would have picked on both sides. Their are no innocents in
Washington.

Zhukov said:
Well, pick one from the other side you think ranks above some of those 10.

Personally, I can't think of anything.

Me either. Any reporting that contains even the pretense of objectivity is, by comparison, so far right of the mainstream media as to appear biased toward Republicans. Thank God for Fox and the blogosphere.

This is nothing but right-wing propaganda. There is no liberal bias in the media, in fact there is a conservative bias. The right-wing propaganda machine is very, very powerful. They bought and paid for the swift boat smear campaign which the media played to the hilt, constantly and consistently got the media to misrepresent Kerry's record on everything from military spending, to taxes, to health care, to gay marriage. Bush was given a free pass by the media. CBS tried to scoop other networks and didn't do their homework, it was not part of a political agenda - that's right wing fiction. Even if reporters were for Kerry, editors and publishers were solidly for Bush and it is they, not the reporters, who decide what gets published where and when.

acludem

acludem said:
This is nothing but right-wing propaganda. There is no liberal bias in the media, in fact there is a conservative bias. The right-wing propaganda machine is very, very powerful. They bought and paid for the swift boat smear campaign which the media played to the hilt, constantly and consistently got the media to misrepresent Kerry's record on everything from military spending, to taxes, to health care, to gay marriage. Bush was given a free pass by the media. CBS tried to scoop other networks and didn't do their homework, it was not part of a political agenda - that's right wing fiction. Even if reporters were for Kerry, editors and publishers were solidly for Bush and it is they, not the reporters, who decide what gets published where and when.

acludem

ummm ok.... :bs1:

Sir Evil said:
:eek2:

Yep, and there is no US presence in Iraq, right baghdad Bob? :rolleyes:

LOL - damn good shot Evil! ! !

ACLU is the board apologist for everything liberal.

Sure - there's no liberal bias in the media - and there's no volcano in the Hawiian islands either - it's just an earth pimple.

Adam's Apple said:
It is a conservative website. Did you disagree with some of their listings re top 10 distortions?

While I agree with nosarcasm that the "worst" distortions are a subjective value judgement and in the eye of the beholder. That doesn't change the fact that this is a GREAT website. I got so interested in this that I had to force myself to get back to work. Speaking of which - I'd better do that now. I'll get back to reading more of this later.

Thanks for finding a great resource.

Merlin1047 said:
While I agree with nosarcasm that the "worst" distortions are a subjective value judgement and in the eye of the beholder. That doesn't change the fact that this is a GREAT website. I got so interested in this that I had to force myself to get back to work. Speaking of which - I'd better do that now. I'll get back to reading more of this later.

Thanks for finding a great resource.
I agree that it is a great website...I love the "awards" section!

acludem said:

acludem

You need to read Bias and Arrogance and do your homework so you can realize how foolish your comments are.

acludem said:

acludem

Is your spine extra flexible? I was wondering, because your head is extremely far up your ass. Why don't you withdraw and smell the coffee? Pulling out IS effective in this case.

Anyone who can look at the New York Times, the LA Times, CNN, and the CBS Memogate and say with a straight face that there is a CONSERVATIVE bias is either the best liar in the goddam world, or just dumb as hell. Probably both, actually.

If you want, I will list who owns the major media news outlets, in fact here a couple of examples. CBS is owned by General Electric Corporation - guess what company's CEO publically stated his support for Bush and gave him massive amounts of campaign donations? As for Bias and Arrogance, why would I read books by a discredited, disgruntled former employee of CBS? I have seen a couple of interesting studies that show that there is a bias in the media, but it is decidely pro-business and pro-elite. I could only link to one of them http://www.fair.org/extra/0205/power_sources.html The other one which was done by Michael Tomasky (and yes, I know he's a liberal but that doesn't mean his study is invalid), I could not find a link to. Tomasky's finding was that conservative newspapers almost never say anything bad about Bush, but liberal newspapers were far more critical of Bill Clinton. Another good read is What Liberal Media by Eric Alterman. There are numerous studies on both sides of this issue. One of the more interesting articles I've seen was this one:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/26/INGAG8T2FR1.DTL

acludem

acludem said:
If you want, I will list who owns the major media news outlets, in fact here a couple of examples. CBS is owned by General Electric Corporation - guess what company's CEO publically stated his support for Bush and gave him massive amounts of campaign donations? As for Bias and Arrogance, why would I read books by a discredited, disgruntled former employee of CBS? I have seen a couple of interesting studies that show that there is a bias in the media, but it is decidely pro-business and pro-elite. I could only link to one of them http://www.fair.org/extra/0205/power_sources.html The other one which was done by Michael Tomasky (and yes, I know he's a liberal but that doesn't mean his study is invalid), I could not find a link to. Tomasky's finding was that conservative newspapers almost never say anything bad about Bush, but liberal newspapers were far more critical of Bill Clinton. Another good read is What Liberal Media by Eric Alterman. There are numerous studies on both sides of this issue. One of the more interesting articles I've seen was this one:http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/09/26/INGAG8T2FR1.DTL

acludem

Did you ever think that maybe Clinton was critisized more because there was more to Critisize about him?

Forum List

Back