10 Lost Cities Of The World

Looks like we will be able to add Detroit soon

leeplaza1.jpg

Last edited:
Angkor, Cambodia

is the place I'd most like to see of all those.

The largest preindustrial city in the world, with an elaborate system of infrastructure connecting an urban sprawl of at least 1,000 square kilometres (390 sq mi) to the well-known temples at its core

Great post Grace!! Never heard of the Derinkuyu Underground City and did a little searching on it, wow!

First built by the Phrygians in the 8th–7th centuries B.C according to the Turkish Department of Culture, the Derinkuyu underground city was enlarged in the Byzantine era. The city could be closed from inside with large stone doors. With storerooms and wells that made long stays possible, the city had air shafts which are up to 100 feet (30 m) deep. Derinkuyu is the largest excavated underground city in Turkey. The complex has a total 11 floors, though many floors have not been excavated. It has an area of 2,000 square feet, with a possible total area of 7,000 square feet (650 m2). Each floor could be closed off separately. The city was connected with other underground cities through miles of long tunnels. The city could accommodate between 20,000 and 50,000 people.

Derinkuyu Underground City, Cappadocia Turkey

I didn't know Turkey had dozens of underground cities like this... Makes one wonder what else could be buried around that area.

Great post Grace!! Never heard of the Derinkuyu Underground City and did a little searching on it, wow!

First built by the Phrygians in the 8th–7th centuries B.C according to the Turkish Department of Culture, the Derinkuyu underground city was enlarged in the Byzantine era. The city could be closed from inside with large stone doors. With storerooms and wells that made long stays possible, the city had air shafts which are up to 100 feet (30 m) deep. Derinkuyu is the largest excavated underground city in Turkey. The complex has a total 11 floors, though many floors have not been excavated. It has an area of 2,000 square feet, with a possible total area of 7,000 square feet (650 m2). Each floor could be closed off separately. The city was connected with other underground cities through miles of long tunnels. The city could accommodate between 20,000 and 50,000 people.

Derinkuyu Underground City, Cappadocia Turkey

I didn't know Turkey had dozens of underground cities like this... Makes one wonder what else could be buried around that area.

Turkey's a great place for lost cities, because it was an ancient crossroads and is where the Roman Empire and its remnants lasted the longest. I saw a great show where they had to recover as many Roman artifacts as possible from a lost city before a dam turned the area into a lake. Basically, you can't put a hole in the ground there without digging up history. Oh yeah, those underground cities ARE cool!

My personal choice to go back and see in real time would be the Minoan cities. The castles of the ruling class were not walled off from the general populace, and they had running water, hot and cold, flush toilets, over 3600 years ago.

Whatever you do, GO to Machu Picchu! Its incredible; the feeling can't even be explained with words.

You've been!?! It's one of my "bucket list" locations. I've had a fascination with the Inca Empire since I got burned out with Ancient Western civilizations...

Angkor, Cambodia

is the place I'd most like to see of all those.

The largest preindustrial city in the world, with an elaborate system of infrastructure connecting an urban sprawl of at least 1,000 square kilometres (390 sq mi) to the well-known temples at its core

It is the most exciting, amazing and impressive place I've ever been. I'd seen the photos of Angkor Wat, the central temple complex before going there, but nothing can prepare you for the sheer scale of the entire Angkor site. It's a genuine city covering over 100 km2 of ruins (1000 km2 sounds like a bit of an exaggeration) and you'd need to spend weeks there to fully appreciate it all. Just splendid!

Forum List

Back