10 city schools now receive no busing as Akron must cater to 29 charter, private schools

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Why it takes so long, though, is a function of school choice.

Bridges’ bus travels 41 miles a day to carry 24 St. Paul kids to and from school. The bus makes another two trips, traveling 18 miles this time, to take 21 Mason kids to and from the public elementary school.

Do the math on an average 180-day school year and the taxpayer-funded bus will travel 4,140 miles more to pick up only three more private students than public students. The Mason route takes a third of the time (30 minutes versus 90 minutes) and requires less than half as much gas and stops (seven versus 15).

The same math that applies to this Akron bus applies to the thousands of privately and publicly owned buses that transported 809,047 Ohio schoolchildren in 2013, the most recent year that state data are available.

The Akron district buses 926 charter students. By opting to transport 311 of their own students, two local charters receive the state transportation aid that would have gone to Akron.

Altogether, 33 percent of charter students and 11 percent public students ride publicly funded school transportation in Akron.

Likewise, 34 percent, or 61,346 parochial students, got subsidized school transportation in the 2012-13 school year. And because buses traveled on average 2 miles per private student and less than 1 for a public school student, twice as many tax dollars afforded public bus rides for private school students.
10 city schools now receive no busing as Akron must cater to 29 charter, private schools

Looks like everybody got theirs.

Seems the role of the charter schools has become just another way to segregate schools, not necessarily by race but by luring the better students, with the better test scores and easier-to-teach student. That does nothing for America's educational problems but make them more difficult to solve.

Seems the role of the charter schools has become just another way to segregate schools, not necessarily by race but by luring the better students, with the better test scores and easier-to-teach student. That does nothing for America's educational problems but make them more difficult to solve.
The problems in public schools will never be solved until the teachers unions get out of the way and they some how manage put the teachers back in charge of the classroom.

It seems parents don't like charter schools until their children have a chance to get into one.Then they absolutely love them.

I sent my children to catholic schools through 8th grade. They went to a public high school and were absolutely light years ahead of their public school counterparts who attended what is considered to be an excellent school system. I was surprised when my then 15 yr old son said there were 2 reasons he was so far ahead. 1. Was discipline, both in not acting up in class and intellectual discipline(this from a 15yr old). 2. He said "dad they(the catholics) just taught us how to learn". Keep in mind I'm not even remotely religious. Was worth every penny. He's in his 3rd year at Carnegie Mellon.

I'll never understand this mentality. A kid whose parents have raised their child to work hard, apply themselves and respect their teachers are expected to sit back and not learn because somebody else's kid doesn't care. I guess it's the lefts idea of equality. If my kid isn't going to excel neither is yours.

So holding back smart kids with idiots is a good idea?

Forum List

Back