10 Best and Worst States to Make a Living

I've never understood why people choose to live on the east and west coast. A very nice house that would cost you $250k in Oklahoma will cost you at least $2mil on either coast. A company my brother used to work for didn't fire people. They transferred them to California and continued paying them what they had made in their previous state. They couldn't afford the cost of living and would quit.

you know, i understand the desire to say anything negative about the "other side" that you can. but i'm afraid that blanket generalizations that aren't based in fact just don't do it for me.

the whole idea that "most" don't work in chicago is absurd. a city can't operate if "most" don't work

i don't have current numbers, but as of 2004, illinois paid more into the federal system that it got out. i suspect that wouldn't happen if the state was a bunch of societal leeches.

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

for underlying data, see also:

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

It's interesting to note that the vast majority of states receiving the least are normally Democratic voting states and the vast majority of states receiving the most are Republican voting states.

Many of the states getting the most are hit 3-6 times a year by hurricanes.

Natural disasters the cause so much wide spread destruction can screw with the numbers.

We could take that into consideration, but only two of the ten listed are hurricane states. That does not equate to "many".

Interesting list, but as far as my family is concerned it doesn't add up. I have far more disposable income living here in South Carolina than I ever did in Massachusetts.

It's interesting to note that the vast majority of states receiving the least are normally Democratic voting states and the vast majority of states receiving the most are Republican voting states.

Natural disasters the cause so much wide spread destruction can screw with the numbers.

We could take that into consideration, but only two of the ten listed are hurricane states. That does not equate to "many".

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

In bold are states hit by hurricanes

Underlined are in tornado alley

I don't know of anything that occurs often AK or WV.

Point is, things happen in places then FEMA shows up. Where ever they have to go cost Fed money.

New Mexico is not in tornado alley. Arkansas probably gets greater damage from the Mississippi flooding each spring than from hurricanes, which is to say not that much.

What about California? They're on the other list, but they get wildfires, mudslides, and the occasional earthquake.

Natural disasters are not enough to explain the disparity.

you know, i understand the desire to say anything negative about the "other side" that you can. but i'm afraid that blanket generalizations that aren't based in fact just don't do it for me.

the whole idea that "most" don't work in chicago is absurd. a city can't operate if "most" don't work

i don't have current numbers, but as of 2004, illinois paid more into the federal system that it got out. i suspect that wouldn't happen if the state was a bunch of societal leeches.

1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

The Tax Foundation - Federal Taxes Paid vs. Federal Spending Received by State, 1981-2005

You mean like North Dakota, South Dakota, Alaska, and Montana?

The truth is, Republicans are better con artists. They know how to squeeze out money. Not to good at "making it", but they sure can "skim".

The other obvious issue, money is where the "education" is. The best colleges and universities are in Blue States. Conservatives have tier four or less "Bible Colleges". They consider memorizing Palms "learning" and if you memorize enough, you get a "BS" in "Bible Study". And it truly is "BS".

I've never understood why people choose to live on the east and west coast. A very nice house that would cost you $250k in Oklahoma will cost you at least $2mil on either coast.

Well, in my case, I live in NYC because of my job in the import/export field. There aren't a lot of land-locked port cities.

I've never understood why people choose to live on the east and west coast. A very nice house that would cost you $250k in Oklahoma will cost you at least $2mil on either coast. A company my brother used to work for didn't fire people. They transferred them to California and continued paying them what they had made in their previous state. They couldn't afford the cost of living and would quit.

Thats a disaster but than again most normal jobs don't pay enough in California for the people to live there anyways, that company put those people in a shitty situation though. The Military does the same thing, the pay scale is the same everywhere you go unless you live off post, than you get BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing), when I was in California the BAH for me was $1300, at first I lived on base but struggled because everything was so much more expensive, so I moved off base to get the BAH. I got lucky and found a decent apartment for $800 and was able to make it work, alot of people couldn't though, alot of people were discharged from the service because of financial irresponsibility.

Last edited:
New Mexico is not in tornado alley. Arkansas probably gets greater damage from the Mississippi flooding each spring than from hurricanes, which is to say not that much.

What about California? They're on the other list, but they get wildfires, mudslides, and the occasional earthquake.

Natural disasters are not enough to explain the disparity.

CA is the 8th largest economy on the world.

so you will excuse me if I don't consider that a fair comparison.

I lived in Arkansas. Most of the land floods from the hurricans. fyi; It's where clinto is from.

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

Point is, things happen in places then FEMA shows up. Where ever they have to go cost Fed money.

Florida begs to differ. We pay more in than we get out.

Ill is one of the oddest places I have lived. $42k/yr "Down state" and you are liven large. Cuz it's all small farm towns with some large towns and a couple of small cities.

$42k in Chicago? your fucked. You better be single and not choosy when it comes to roomates.

Plus the state employees union has pay set that so that you can do well of you work in Chicago. Since most don't....

1. New Jersey ($0.62)
2. Connecticut ($0.64)
3. New Hampshire ($0.68)
4. Nevada ($0.73)
5. Illinois ($0.77)
6. Minnesota ($0.77)
7. Colorado ($0.79)
8. Massachusetts ($0.79)
9. California ($0.81)
10. New York ($0.81)

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

I don't think he was saying that most don't work.

He was saying that most State of Illinois workers don't work in Chicago. They work in other parts of the state :)

IOW, he's saying that state worker pay is based on Chicago cost of living, but most state workers don't work in Chicago. So they're doing pretty well for themselves.

1. D.C. ($6.17)
2. North Dakota ($2.03)
3. New Mexico ($1.89)
4. Mississippi ($1.84)
5. Alaska ($1.82)
6. West Virginia ($1.74)
7. Montana ($1.64)
8. Alabama ($1.61)
9. South Dakota ($1.59)
10. Arkansas ($1.53)

Arkansas gets hurricanes?

Since when?

Texas throws all of this "red states get more" stuff into a cocked hat.

For every dollar they pay in, they get $0.72

I can't believe that DC is so far out of proportion, no wait I forgot who lives these and makes up most of the politicians. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Texas is one of the best? Why this then?

Nineteen students and two teachers: Those are the numbers of lives lost in Uvalde Tuesday.

Texas has seen these numbers before. The state witnessed seven killed and 25 injured in Odessa, and 25 killed and 23 injured in El Paso in the same month in 2019. A year earlier, 10 people were killed and 13 wounded at a high school in Santa Fe, TX.

Monday, one day before the shooting, the FBI released a report on active shooters -- showing in 2021 there were 61 active shooters in the US, double the number from 2019. Five times, the targets were in Texas.

“Five of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history, right here in this state in the last five. He was governor for every single one of them,” Beto O’Rourke, who is running for Governor, said after a press conference from Gov. Greg Abbott. “If we do nothing, we will continue to see this, year after year, school after school, kid after kid.”

I can't believe that DC is so far out of proportion, no wait I forgot who lives these and makes up most of the politicians. Makes you wonder doesn't it.
The highest pay for blacks in America is in and around DC. Government jobs. In red states blacks don't make shit.

Forum List

Back