10 Babies Dead In CA In Whooping Cough Outbreak

If my infant died, because you wouldn't immunize yours for the now debunked claim of ties with autism, I'd damn well sue you if I knew it was your kid that was the carrier.

Ignorant isn't the correct word for these ijits.
It isn't always that, Annie. My son had a reaction to the DTP shot that was traced to the whooping cough portion and he was never allowed to get that particular vaccine again.

and that indeed is why parents are warned to watch for certain symptoms after the initial dose. As you found, they drop that portion then of the 3, but I'm assuming you took care to protect him and others regarding the other two.

That's what 'caring and responsible' people do. Especially 'intelligent' people that understand statistics and how diseases spread. Other than infants, the elderly, and those with serious health issues, whooping cough is rarely fatal but still is awful from what I've heard. I've never known anyone that had it and I'm over 1/2 century old.

The quacks with their crap studies and the fools that buy into them should be held responsible.
I don't disagree with you, but I have to say when we moved and got a new doctor and told him my son couldn't have the pertussis portion, he said okay, and the nurse brought out a full DTP. God, if I hadn't looked at it...

Personally i don't give a rats ass if YOUR kid drops dead because you didn't have it vaccinated. It is sad but the only person you have to blame is yourself. I DO care when your little petri dishes infects the world.

Get them vaccinated and get yourselves vaccinated.

(not talking to anyone specific just pissed off)

It isn't always that, Annie. My son had a reaction to the DTP shot that was traced to the whooping cough portion and he was never allowed to get that particular vaccine again.

That's not choosing not to get it, that's a medical reason not to get it. There's a big difference between choice and necessity. It's also rare enough that if only that tiny portion of children who could not receive the vaccinations went without them it would make outbreaks like this one far less likely. It's the much larger group of parents who voluntarily choose not to vaccinate that create the much larger portion of the risk.
I see what you are saying, but according to the article the babies are getting it from adults...

So what is the answer?

I went back and re-read the article I linked to, I'm not seeing that. I am seeing more Latino infants are being infected, while the white children are older and richer. I think that goes hand-in-hand with what the issues are. Wealthier infants are more likely not to have general population exposure to infections, by the very nature of being more likely to be cared for by mother or one caretaker. Poorer infants are more likely to be in daycare. They also are more likely to be with caretaker in public venues.

Once a child is into toddlerhood, the fatality rate begins to drop, barring asthma or other serious health issues. Many child carriers that were not immunized, have the virus that can lead to infection. An immunized child or adult exposed for that matter, has less chance of spreading it also, though not as clear on that.

It's the infants too young for the first dose, (again, 2 months), that are at most serious risk.

The federal government should make it illegal to be ignorant..... that'll be the way the lefties spin it.

Talk about ignorant! There's something wrong with someone who has to constantly project hatred and partisanship.

What would you suggest be done about this, since you're not "ignorant"? Just ignore it? Pretend there's no problem? Just let the innocent members of society die?

If my infant died, because you wouldn't immunize yours for the now debunked claim of ties with autism, I'd damn well sue you if I knew it was your kid that was the carrier.

Hello! If the vaccination works, why would it matter if to you who vaccinates their kid? Give your kid the vaccination if that is your choice, and you have nothing to worry about, right? :eusa_eh:

Talk about ignorant! There's something wrong with someone who has to constantly project hatred and partisanship.

What would you suggest be done about this, since you're not "ignorant"? Just ignore it? Pretend there's no problem? Just let the innocent members of society die?

Hello! If the vaccination works, why would it matter if to you who vaccinates their kid? Give your kid the vaccination if that is your choice, and you have nothing to worry about, right? :eusa_eh:

A child has to be at least 2 months old before they can get the vaccine. And the younger the child, the greater the risk of death from what I understand. An infant who isn't old enough to be immunized is at risk.

Is polio going to make a comeback as well?

Actually, yes. But not quite the same thing. Many parents do get their children immunized for polio, probably because both social studies and science textbooks go on about the disease in high school classes. Also to my knowledge, there hasn't been the fakery with studies that scare expecting/new parents:

Polio making a comeback

Polio making a comeback
30. July 2006 05:12
The World Health Organization (WHO) says increasing numbers of people around the world are vulnerable to polio because they have not been previously exposed to the disease.

According to the WHO adults who missed being vaccinated as children and who have not been exposed to the wild virus are most at risk.

There have apparently been 19 confirmed and 150 suspected polio cases in Namibia, which had been polio-free since 1995 and immunisation programmes are being implemented there again.

The virus arrived in Namibia by way of Angola but the outbreak has been traced back to Uttar Pradesh in India where the disease remains endemic...

I know that there was also an 'outbreak' a few years back for those who'd had polio when children. It was like a reoccurance, but milder. My cousin, 7 years older than myself had polio as a toddler-before the vaccine. She had a 'relapse' of sorts.

I say, "Keep government out of it".

At the present time, I agree with you. This is still at the point that doctors and lawyers should be able to address.

If it truly becomes an epidemic, then it would be the role of the government to quarantine those that are infected and identified carriers.

Last edited:
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS - ABOUT THE AAP

Welcome to the official Web site of the American Academy of Pediatrics—an organization of 60,000 pediatricians committed to the attainment of optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. Whether you're looking for general child health information or for more specific guidelines concerning a pediatric issue, you've come to the right place. Here, you'll find information regarding the Academy's many programs and activities…our policies and guidelines…our publications and other child health resources…and much, much more. Best of all, you can rest assured that the information comes from the nation's leading child health experts and that we have scientific research supporting our recommendations.

This schedule includes recommendations in effect as of December 15, 2009. Any dose not administered at the recommended age should be administered at a subsequent visit, when indicated and feasible. The use of a combination vaccine generally is preferred over separate injections of its equivalent component vaccines. Considerations should include provider assessment, patient preference, and the potential for adverse events. Providers should consult the relevant Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices statement for detailed recommendations: Vaccines: Pubs/ACIP Recommendations. Clinically significant adverse events that follow immunization should be reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) at Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System or by telephone, 800-822-7967.
1. Hepatitis B vaccine (HepB). (Minimum age: birth)
At birth:
• Administer monovalent HepB to all newborns before hospital discharge.
• If mother is hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive, administer HepB and 0.5 mL of hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIG) within 12 hours of birth.
• If mother’s HBsAg status is unknown, administer HepB within 12 hours of birth. Determine mother’s HBsAg status as soon as possible and, if HBsAg-positive, administer HBIG (no later than age 1 week).
After the birth dose:
• The HepB series should be completed with either monovalent HepB or a combination vaccine containing HepB. The second dose should be administered at age 1 or 2 months. Monovalent HepB vaccine should be used for doses administered before age 6 weeks. The final dose should be administered no earlier than age 24 weeks.
• Infants born to HBsAg-positive mothers should be tested for HBsAg and antibody to HBsAg 1 to 2 months after completion of at least 3 doses of the HepB series, at age 9 through 18 months (generally at the next well-child visit).
• Administration of 4 doses of HepB to infants is permissible when a combination vaccine containing HepB is administered after the birth dose. The fourth dose should be administered no earlier than age 24 weeks.
2. Rotavirus vaccine (RV). (Minimum age: 6 weeks)
• Administer the first dose at age 6 through 14 weeks (maximum age: 14 weeks 6 days). Vaccination should not be initiated for infants aged 15 weeks 0 days or older.
• The maximum age for the final dose in the series is 8 months 0 days
• If Rotarix is administered at ages 2 and 4 months, a dose at 6 months is not indicated.
3. Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP).
(Minimum age: 6 weeks)
• The fourth dose may be administered as early as age 12 months, provided at least 6 months have elapsed since the third dose.
• Administer the final dose in the series at age 4 through 6 years.
4. Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (Hib).
(Minimum age: 6 weeks)
• If PRP-OMP (PedvaxHIB or Comvax [HepB-Hib]) is administered at ages 2 and 4 months, a dose at age 6 months is not indicated.
• TriHiBit (DTaP/Hib) and Hiberix (PRP-T) should not be used for doses at ages 2, 4, or 6 months for the primary series but can be used as the final dose in children aged 12 months through 4 years. See MMWR 1997;46(No. RR-8).
5. Pneumococcal vaccine. (Minimum age: 6 weeks for pneumococcal conjugate vaccine [PCV]; 2 years for pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine [PPSV])
• PCV is recommended for all children aged younger than 5 years. Administer 1 dose of PCV to all healthy children aged 24 through 59 months who are not completely vaccinated for their age.
• Administer PPSV 2 or more months after last dose of PCV to children aged 2 years or older with certain underlying medical conditions, including a cochlear implant.
6. Inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) (Minimum age: 6 weeks)
• The final dose in the series should be administered on or after the fourth birthday and at least 6 months following the previous dose.
• If 4 doses are administered prior to age 4 years a fifth dose should be administered at age 4 through 6 years. See MMWR 2009;58(30):829–30.
7. Influenza vaccine (seasonal). (Minimum age: 6 months for trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine [TIV]; 2 years for live, attenuated influenza vaccine [LAIV])
• Administer annually to children aged 6 months through 18 years.
• For healthy children aged 2 through 6 years (i.e., those who do not have underlying medical conditions that predispose them to influenza complications), either LAIV or TIV may be used, except LAIV should not be given to children aged 2 through 4 years who have had wheezing in the past 12 months.
• Children receiving TIV should receive 0.25 mL if aged 6 through 35 months or 0.5 mL if aged 3 years or older.
• Administer 2 doses (separated by at least 4 weeks) to children aged younger than 9 years who are receiving influenza vaccine for the first time or who were vaccinated for the first time during the previous influenza season but only received 1 dose.
• For recommendations for use of influenza A (H1N1) 2009 monovalent vaccine see MMWR 2009;58(No. RR-10).
8. Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine (MMR). (Minimum age: 12 months)
• Administer the second dose routinely at age 4 through 6 years. However, the second dose may be administered before age 4, provided at least 28 days have elapsed since the first dose.
9. Varicella vaccine. (Minimum age: 12 months)
• Administer the second dose routinely at age 4 through 6 years. However, the second dose may be administered before age 4, provided at least 3 months have elapsed since the first dose.
• For children aged 12 months through 12 years the minimum interval between doses is 3 months. However, if the second dose was administered at least 28 days after the first dose, it can be accepted as valid.
10. Hepatitis A vaccine (HepA). (Minimum age: 12 months)
• Administer to all children aged 1 year (i.e., aged 12 through 23 months). Administer 2 doses at least 6 months apart.
• Children not fully vaccinated by age 2 years can be vaccinated at subsequent visits
• HepA also is recommended for older children who live in areas where vaccination programs target older children, who are at increased risk for infection, or for whom immunity against hepatitis A is desired.
11. Meningococcal vaccine. (Minimum age: 2 years for meningococcal conjugate vaccine [MCV4] and for meningococcal polysaccharide vaccine [MPSV4])
• Administer MCV4 to children aged 2 through 10 years with persistent complement component deficiency, anatomic or functional asplenia, and certain other conditions placing tham at high risk.
• Administer MCV4 to children previously vaccinated with MCV4 or MPSV4 after 3 years if first dose administered at age 2 through 6 years. See MMWR 2009; 58:1042–3.

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS - ABOUT THE AAP

Granny says get yer lil' chillun's vaccinated against the whoopin' cough...
:cool:
Whooping cough could reach highest levels since 1959
19 July`12 - Health officials said Thursday that the number of cases of whooping cough could reach the highest level in more than 50 years.
As of July, nearly 18,000 cases have been reported, more than twice as many as at this time last year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported. At this pace, the number of whooping cough cases will surpass every year since 1959. Public health officials are concerned the uptick might be due in part to a switch from one vaccine type to another 15 years ago. The change was based in part on now-discredited concerns about the dangers of the older vaccine. "We may need to go back to 1959 to find as many cases reported" halfway through the year, said Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

Whooping cough, called pertussis by doctors, is a highly contagious bacterial disease and very dangerous to infants and young children. Half of babies who get it are hospitalized, Schuchat said. The disease leads to severe coughing that causes children to make a distinctive whooping sound as they gasp for breath. In rare cases, it can be fatal. Nine children have died this year. Though 95% of toddlers are vaccinated against the disease, only 8.2% of adults are, and they are the ones most likely to infect babies, Schuchat said.

The highest rates of infection are in babies less than 12 months, and half of the cases are in those under 3 months. Babies are too young to be protected by the first vaccination, typically given at 2 months, so vaccinating their mothers and the people around them is key to protecting them. Children get vaccinated in five doses, with the final shot given at 4 to 6 years. A booster shot is recommended around age 11. The vaccine's protection wanes, and health officials have debated moving up the booster shot. Health officials don't know why pertussis, which tends to occur in waves every three to five years, is rising. They're investigating whether one reason might be a switch made in the type of vaccine given in the early 1990s.

Unproved and unscientific claims that there was a connection between the pertussis vaccine and brain injury pushed manufacturers to switch to another safer version, acellular pertussis vaccine. It has been used in the USA since 1997. Health officials see some evidence that its effectiveness may wane more quickly than the previous form, contributing to a rise in whooping cough cases among children ages 10 to 14. The uptick in infections in that age group is "different than what we've seen in previous waves," Schuchat said. "That's why we're recommending a booster at 11 or 12." The vaccine is not 100% effective, but unvaccinated children are eight times more likely to be infected, Schuchat said.

MORE

Parents need to get their damned kids vaccinated so they don't get this horrible disease!

i agree... but if their little darlings drop dead of some preventable disease, its the parents fault. What pisses me off is when they infect others.....

And... as an adult... i sure hope you have gotten a booster shot for whopping cough.

I had whooping cough when I was a tike.

Used to be pretty common for kids to get it in my generation.

People should have the liberty to get any disease they want to get!
How dare the nanny government try and erradicate a disease.

I had whooping cough when I was a tike.

Used to be pretty common for kids to get it in my generation.

I caught it at Disneyland as an adult..... and wasn't i damned surprise considering i had been vaccinated. It turns out that our vaccines wore off.

Parents need to get their damned kids vaccinated so they don't get this horrible disease!

i agree... but if their little darlings drop dead of some preventable disease, its the parents fault. What pisses me off is when they infect others.....

And... as an adult... i sure hope you have gotten a booster shot for whopping cough.

I should check in to that as I am not sure if I have ever gotten a booster shot...

Forum List

Back