10,000 DOW? Not really. Adjusted for inflation, actually 7,537

Or so says the guy pimping gold. OK stock market financial guys out there. Is his reasoning sound?

DOW 10,000!!!! Oh Wait, Make That 7,537 | zero hedge

How far back is he going for the inflation adjustment?

Just curious I know we were over 10k last year and I hope there hasn't been 25% inflation since then, if there has been i didn't notice :eek:

He's adjusting it compared to 10 years ago when the DOW first crossed 10K. 25% inflation over the past ten years.

So do we really need to wait until the 13k mark before getting excited?

Or so says the guy pimping gold. OK stock market financial guys out there. Is his reasoning sound?

DOW 10,000!!!! Oh Wait, Make That 7,537 | zero hedge

Just curious I know we were over 10k last year and I hope there hasn't been 25% inflation since then, if there has been i didn't notice :eek:

He's adjusting it compared to 10 years ago when the DOW first crossed 10K. 25% inflation over the past ten years.

I still fail to see what I'm supposed to be excited for? I don't believe in welfare... corporate or public... so I fail to see how throwing money at wallstreet and them "creeping back up" to same place they were last year should make me feel any better.

I still fail to see what I'm supposed to be excited for? I don't believe in welfare... corporate or public... so I fail to see how throwing money at wallstreet and them "creeping back up" to same place they were last year should make me feel any better.

We weren't talking about corporate welfare.

We're talking about if 10,000 is really worth the impact that everyone thinks it is.

We're talking about if 10,000 is really worth the impact that everyone thinks it is.

I'm asking in essence how much should it matter for regular working tax payers?

Yep... and there goes the excitement of all the stupid ass Liberals celebrating rich people getting more money.

A lot.

Boiled down to its essence, a higher DOW means more, better paying jobs for the most part.

I don't know about all this adjusted for inflation crap.

But Dow 10k is not sustainable right now.

Just wait for it. Commercial paper is coming due soon.

Unless you are self employed and saving for your own retirement by stuffing your money in a mattress, the stock market has a huge impact on your total, individual compensation package. Your wage or salary is only a part of your total compensation. Everything from your medical insurance to your defined contribution retirement package is tied directly to the stock market. And of course there is alway the 401k, Roth IRA, etc.,etc.,etc.

Whether you know it or not, care about it or not, the stock market has a huge impact on you individually.

Unless you are self employed and saving for your own retirement by stuffing your money in a mattress, the stock market has a huge impact on your total, individual compensation package. Your wage or salary is only a part of your total compensation. Everything from your medical insurance to your defined contribution retirement package is tied directly to the stock market. And of course there is alway the 401k, Roth IRA, etc.,etc.,etc.

Whether you know it or not, care about it or not, the stock market has a huge impact on you individually.

This reply fails to answer the question, which is:
And I quote

"Given inflation, is the DOW market of 10,000 really worth 10,000?"

Yep... and there goes the excitement of all the stupid ass Liberals celebrating rich people getting more money.

What Obama said about Wall Street and "main street"? Check this out...

Major U.S. banks and securities firms are on pace to pay their employees about $140 billion this year -- a record high that shows compensation is rebounding despite regulatory scrutiny of Wall Street's pay culture.

Total compensation and benefits at the publicly traded companies analyzed by the Journal are on track to increase 20% from last year's $117 billion -- and to top 2007's $130 billion payout. This year, employees at the companies will earn an estimated $143,400 on average, up almost $2,000 from 2007 levels.

Wall Street on track to award record pay - MSN Money
Wall Street On Track To Award Record Pay - Wall Street Journal

Forum List

Back