1 Small example of Government Regulation fucking a little guy....Me!

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
So, Here are the Basics. I live in Michigan. For the last 25 Years I have worked in the Residential New Construction and Home Improvement Repair Industry in one way or another.

About 15 Years ago I actually ran my own company doing roofing and siding and did pretty well.

Well for Personal Reasons I have for most of the last 10 Years been working for other people rather than myself. However now with the economy the way it is. I have been trying to start up my own Roofing Company again. Believe it or not, while new construction is slow, the home Improvement Industry is doing well. People unable to move are instead putting money into their existing homes.

Well anyways, As a roofer you are required by law to carry certain amounts of Insurance. Both to cover you and any workers when working on someones home, and here where I live I find out that unlike 10 years ago. I now have no choice and have to carry a min of 1.5 Million in Coverage in case we damage a home.

Now 10 years ago you could get much less. most of the houses I work on are worth no more than maybe .5 Million. Why is it now law that I must carry 1.5 Million when I do not work on homes of that Value? Why Can't I carry .5 in coverage and if I do choose to work on a more valuable home, But a rider like you used to be able to do?

It's just one example in millions where government regulations are to one size fit all, and stick it to us all.

A property valued at $250,000 likely has on it a building worth $190,000 at best. The remainder of the 250 is in the land and water/sewer hookups that a roofer couldn't damage unless he tried to remove the old shingles with a D-8 Cat which fell off and plunged straight down and kept crawling vertically.

I don't know too many roofers who use Cats.

"Liberals make pretty babies"

Love the ambiguity of that word "make"!

Not a child safe so long as liberals are allowed to roam free.

Remember Ted-the-Swimmer?

Last edited:
So, Here are the Basics. I live in Michigan. For the last 25 Years I have worked in the Residential New Construction and Home Improvement Repair Industry in one way or another.

About 15 Years ago I actually ran my own company doing roofing and siding and did pretty well.

Well for Personal Reasons I have for most of the last 10 Years been working for other people rather than myself. However now with the economy the way it is. I have been trying to start up my own Roofing Company again. Believe it or not, while new construction is slow, the home Improvement Industry is doing well. People unable to move are instead putting money into their existing homes.

Well anyways, As a roofer you are required by law to carry certain amounts of Insurance. Both to cover you and any workers when working on someones home, and here where I live I find out that unlike 10 years ago. I now have no choice and have to carry a min of 1.5 Million in Coverage in case we damage a home.

Now 10 years ago you could get much less. most of the houses I work on are worth no more than maybe .5 Million. Why is it now law that I must carry 1.5 Million when I do not work on homes of that Value? Why Can't I carry .5 in coverage and if I do choose to work on a more valuable home, But a rider like you used to be able to do?

It's just one example in millions where government regulations are to one size fit all, and stick it to us all.

I feel your pain brother. I have had to carry 1 to two million in insurance depending on the project. Started as a framing contractor, became a builder, and now back to contracting.

I dunno Traj, feeling particularly nasty tonight. It's not so much this individual post as it is how much of an idiot he is in general. :dunno:

well, I hear him. I can take a guess as to why he may have to carry the higher ins. maybe, there are larger outfits that have lobbied the statehouse to make the ins. necessary larger to force the little guy out...happens all the time.

you know what it takes to cut hair in cali? unreal.

:eusa_eh:whats up with that?

I dunno Traj, feeling particularly nasty tonight. It's not so much this individual post as it is how much of an idiot he is in general. :dunno:

well, I hear him. I can take a guess as to why he may have to carry the higher ins. maybe, there are larger outfits that have lobbied the statehouse to make the ins. necessary larger to force the little guy out...happens all the time.

Friend, I'm in one of the most heavily regulated businesses out there. I had a gun salesman, yes, a man who sold live firearms, who was a customer tell me he is not nearly as regulated as we are. So I know it's a pain in the ass. And I'm inspected, unannounced, by the feds, specifically APHIS.

HOWEVER - I do indeed tire of "WAAAAAAAAHHHH! SOMETHING'S NOT GOING RIGHT! IT MUST BE THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT!"

It's the same rules for everyone. Structure it into your price schedule and move on. The government is not a big boogeyman dispatched to get just you.

Last edited:

Friend, I'm in one of the most heavily regulated businesses out there. I had a gun salesman, yes, a man who sold live firearms, who was a customer tell me he is not nearly as regulated as we are. So I know it's a pain in the ass. And I'm inspected, unannounced, by the feds, specifically APHIS.

HOWEVER - I do indeed tire of "WAAAAAAAAHHHH! SOMETHING'S NOT GOING RIGHT! IT MUST BE THE GOVERNMENT'S FAULT!"

It's the same rules for everyone. Structure it into your price schedule and move on. The government is not a big boogeyman dispatched to get just you.

see? don't you feel better now that you shared? :lol:

Sorry bout that,

1. I blame the *Liberal Muckity Mucks* for this.
2. And state governments are chucked full of these bastard types.
3. You can't sling a dead cat without hitting one here in Texas
4. Then theres the RINO's.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

That is exactly the problem with Big Government. Same rules for everyone. Whether your a big company or small you need to carry the same coverage. If I structure it into my price schedule I would have to charge to much to compete with the bigger guys who can do more volume than me. Why is it so hard for government not to have one size fits all rules. Why can I not buy Insurance That is enough to Cover the homes I work on, and not have to buy 2 to 3 Times as much as I need just because government tells me to.

It's the same thing with Obamacare. Instead of people getting the coverage the need, Like younger people who really only need catastrophic Care coverage. They want to force everyone to pay for the same amount of coverage whether they are going to need it or not.

10 Years ago here in Michigan You could buy insurance based on what you needed not on some arbitrary amount the government decided. It is exactly things like this that stand in the way of small business. Which is exactly what I am trying to be. However when I have to pay so much in Insurance costs that I would need to do about 3 times as much work a month as I can do alone. It means I can't start off small like I did last time. That in order to make it I would need at least 2 Employees right away, and take on all the costs associated with that right off the bat. Just to be able to do enough work to justify the Monthly Insurance costs.

It's just stupid, and just one small example of how well intended government regulations can stifle our economy in ways you do not even think about.

see? don't you feel better now that you shared? :lol:

Actually? yes. :eusa_angel:

So if you ruined someone's house and all their belongings, it's their fault? Not sure I understand.

Forum List

Back