1 Million Apply for 62,000 McDonald's Jobs

Of course, American productivity is higher than ever. This is going to translate into Corporations hiring less workers because they know right now it's a employer's market. And if the employees are being overworked, what are they gonna do? Quit? Not very likely.

Corporations are also sitting on trillions of dollars if I remember correctly. They have the means to hire employees if they so choose, but why would they when they can get the same productivity out of one employee now when previously they had two employees? Obviously, they're going to look out for their balance sheet. This is also understandable since obviously they want to maximize their profits.

However, I call shenanigans on those crying poverty for corporations as for their reason for not supposedly hiring.

From Jan 2011:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/weekinreview/09powell.html

To gaze upon the world of American corporations is to see a sunny place of terrific profits and princely bonuses. American businesses reported that third-quarter profits in 2010 rose at an annual rate of $1.659 trillion, the steepest annual surge since officials began tracking such matters 60 years ago. It was the seventh consecutive quarter in which corporate profits climbed.

Seventh consecutive quarter that Corporate profits climbed. That goes back to the beginning of the Obama Administration. And yet, listening to some people, you would think that corporations are once again on the brink.

Of course, it doesn't help that more and more jobs that were previously held by Americans continue to go overseas. Again, action taken by corporations in the best interest of their bottom line. They go where they can pay employees the cheapest and with the least amount of regulations (health, etc) while still producing a product that consumers are willing to purchase.

It's becoming increasingly impossible for Americans to compete with such a market even if they wanted to. I've read some arguments for getting rid of the minimum wage in order for Americans to better compete, but even if Americans got paid less it would still be less than what workers get in many of these countries.

Meanwhile, commodities like gasoline continue to skyrocket despite there being no sudden increase in demand. After all, Libya only exports 76,000 barrels to the U.S a day. The U.S is a country that consumes 18,690,000 barrels a day as of 2009, and I'm sure that number is even higher now.

Source: Oil consumption (most recent) by country

So as you may ask yourself, why are commodities going up then? In large part, the same reason why it went up in 2008 suddenly for no reason, investment-bank led commodity speculation.

All of this leads us to our current situation. Personally, I think something has to give eventually. What that something is however, I don't know.

Can't blame Bush because obama is president now, so you blame the evil corprations. Got it.

If they don't need more people, why would they hire more people?

And therein lies the rub.

What becomes of all those people who were formerly gainfully employed and are now no longer needed?

Why are all the companies leaving New York Illinois Michigan California? For soutnern states? Could it be lower corprate taxes and less union influcence?

Cheap labor.

Corporations are addicted to it.

Can't blame Bush because obama is president now, so you blame the evil corprations. Got it.

Considering how fast you responded to my post, I'm going to assume you didn't actually read it and just saw the words "Corporation" not being used in a circlejerk positive manner.

If you don't like the facts, that's your problem. It has nothing to do with 'good' or 'evil'. Corporations main objective are to maximize profits for the shareholders. If that means not hiring as much or sending jobs overseas in order to cut costs, then they will do so. They do not act in the public interest and nobody should honestly expect them to. However, at the same time, nobody should be surprised when corporations end up breaking the law or cutting corners which have bad results at the same time.

Furthermore, I would like to hear your reasoning behind the increase of commodity prices if it's not due to speculation.

Also, this has nothing to do with "left" or right." Both parties are in the pockets of special interests.

What becomes of all those people who were formerly gainfully employed and are now no longer needed?

Why are all the companies leaving New York Illinois Michigan California? For soutnern states? Could it be lower corprate taxes and less union influcence?

Cheap labor.

Corporations are addicted to it.

Lemme try to make it simple for you:

Question: Why is labor cheaper in the south?

Answer: The cost of living is lower

Q: Why is the cost of living lower?

A. Goods and Services aren't Taxed to death.

If jobs are going to Mexico, then why are Mexicans migrating to the USA?

To get away from work?

Just because jobs are going to Mexico doesn't necessarily mean that Mexico is a good or safe place to live.

If they don't need more people, why would they hire more people?

Some go look for ways to support themselves and their families, making sacrifices where necessary...

Some look around the country to where hiring is happening and, if necessary, look to relocate...

Some sit on their ass, hoping Daddy Gubmint bails them out...

some steal,
Some just blow their brains out.
some lose their homes.

But not too many of them will vote republican.

Considering how fast you responded to my post, I'm going to assume you didn't actually read it and just saw the words "Corporation" not being used in a circlejerk positive manner.

If you don't like the facts, that's your problem. It has nothing to do with 'good' or 'evil'. Corporations main objective are to maximize profits for the shareholders. If that means not hiring as much or sending jobs overseas in order to cut costs, then they will do so. They do not act in the public interest and nobody should honestly expect them to. However, at the same time, nobody should be surprised when corporations end up breaking the law or cutting corners which have bad results at the same time.

Furthermore, I would like to hear your reasoning behind the increase of commodity prices if it's not due to speculation.

Also, this has nothing to do with "left" or right." Both parties are in the pockets of special interests.

Is there any commodity price change that is not all, or part, speculation?

Oil and Natural Gas are both commodities.

Oil is priced at historical highs

But not NG? Why?

Busses run on NG.

Why don't we build cars to run on NG?

Some fool on here used to tell me how that outsourcing was good for America.

I just can't remember which fool.

Is there any commodity price change that is not all, or part, speculation?

Oil and Natural Gas are both commodities.

Oil is priced at historical highs

But not NG? Why?

Busses run on NG.

Why don't we build cars to run on NG?

There's a difference between the speculation you are likely thinking of and what was going on in Wall Street. I'll find a link to explain what I'm talking about.

If you want my honest opinion, Congress should implement once again the regulations that safeguard the commodities market from these sort of things. It wasn't until fairly recently after a fair amount of deregulation was Wall Street allowed to speculate the way they have.

Natural Gas is interesting to say the least. It certainly seems to be the future for at least the short term. ExxonMobil seems to think so since they recently once again became the largest Natural Gas company in the world.

But just think of all the cheap shit we can buy at Wal-Mart now.

;)
Yeah which guarantees Chinas dominance over us in the future.

Imagine the history books 100 year from now (maybe even sooner) when they discuss the fall of the American empire being caused by peoples obsession with loading down their lives with cheap Chinese made crap.

If we outsourced the presidency job to a low income community work employment program for the next two years, the economy would probably improve.

Forum List

Back