1 Million Apply for 62,000 McDonald's Jobs

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Wow, just look at that economic recovery.

McDonald’s Corp. (MCD), the world’s biggest restaurant chain, said it hired 24 percent more people than planned during an employment event this month.

McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement. Previously, it said it planned to hire 50,000.

McDonald

This President's Economic Stats have always been Bullshit. The real Unemployment Numbers are far worse than what they claim. They've been busted repeatedly for fudging the numbers. They've taken Al Gore's 'Fuzzy Math' to a new level. I don't trust any Economic Numbers being touted by this White House. It is sad but it is what it is.

This President's Economic Stats have always been Bullshit. The real Unemployment Numbers are far worse than what they claim. They've been busted repeatedly for fudging the numbers. They've taken Al Gore's 'Fuzzy Math' to a new level. I don't trust any Economic Numbers being touted by this White House. It is sad but it is what it is.

The numbers are a lie because once someones unemployment expires, they come off the books whether they have a job or not, the situation is alot worse than what the numbers tell us.

At least McDonalds is trying to help but seriously no one can support a family on McDonalds wages besides the managers. Hopefully Microsoft or Apple can kick out 30,000 jobs to help out.

Meanwhile, corporations are racking up record profits but are they hiring?

No.

Despite Record Profits, Corporations Are Stingier Than Ever

If they don't need more people, why would they hire more people?

And therein lies the rub.

What becomes of all those people who were formerly gainfully employed and are now no longer needed?

Some go look for ways to support themselves and their families, making sacrifices where necessary...

Some look around the country to where hiring is happening and, if necessary, look to relocate...

Some sit on their ass, hoping Daddy Gubmint bails them out...

Some go look for ways to support themselves and their families, making sacrifices where necessary...

Maybe even resort to criminal activity to support themselves.

Some look around the country to where hiring is happening and, if necessary, look to relocate...

Great! A nation of nomads. That'll go far in creating stable communities.

Somebody's got to take care of them. If it's not going to be your beloved corporations then I guess that job falls to the government.

Wow, just look at that economic recovery.

McDonald’s Corp. (MCD), the world’s biggest restaurant chain, said it hired 24 percent more people than planned during an employment event this month.

McDonald’s and its franchisees hired 62,000 people in the U.S. after receiving more than one million applications, the Oak Brook, Illinois-based company said today in an e-mailed statement. Previously, it said it planned to hire 50,000.

McDonald

My hat's off to those people who want to work no matter what...

Meanwhile, corporations are racking up record profits but are they hiring?

No.

Despite Record Profits, Corporations Are Stingier Than Ever

If they don't need more people, why would they hire more people?

And therein lies the rub.

What becomes of all those people who were formerly gainfully employed and are now no longer needed?

Why are all the companies leaving New York Illinois Michigan California? For soutnern states? Could it be lower corprate taxes and less union influcence?

1 million people applied for 62,000 french fry jobs?

Our government higher education industrial complex in action.

Maybe even resort to criminal activity to support themselves.
I hope not... Plenty of legal ways of making a living for those who desire to do so... Might require changing lifestyle expectations...

Great! A nation of nomads. That'll go far in creating stable communities.[/quote]
That was just stupid and definitely not what I was referring to... If there's no hiring in your state, find one that is...

Somebody's got to take care of them. If it's not going to be your beloved corporations then I guess that job falls to the government.
Why can't they take care of themselves??

Let's not forget the large number of charities out there designed for just that...

I went to McDonalds 4 days ago.

I was served by a Harvard grad...which ment that he did not leave the fries in the peanut oil long enough to melt the frozen core of the potato(e).

Yep just like the last administration did.

Of course, American productivity is higher than ever. This is going to translate into Corporations hiring less workers because they know right now it's a employer's market. And if the employees are being overworked, what are they gonna do? Quit? Not very likely.

Corporations are also sitting on trillions of dollars if I remember correctly. They have the means to hire employees if they so choose, but why would they when they can get the same productivity out of one employee now when previously they had two employees? Obviously, they're going to look out for their balance sheet. This is also understandable since obviously they want to maximize their profits.

However, I call shenanigans on those crying poverty for corporations as for their reason for not supposedly hiring.

From Jan 2011:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/weekinreview/09powell.html

To gaze upon the world of American corporations is to see a sunny place of terrific profits and princely bonuses. American businesses reported that third-quarter profits in 2010 rose at an annual rate of $1.659 trillion, the steepest annual surge since officials began tracking such matters 60 years ago. It was the seventh consecutive quarter in which corporate profits climbed.

Seventh consecutive quarter that Corporate profits climbed. That goes back to the beginning of the Obama Administration. And yet, listening to some people, you would think that corporations are once again on the brink.

Of course, it doesn't help that more and more jobs that were previously held by Americans continue to go overseas. Again, action taken by corporations in the best interest of their bottom line. They go where they can pay employees the cheapest and with the least amount of regulations (health, etc) while still producing a product that consumers are willing to purchase.

It's becoming increasingly impossible for Americans to compete with such a market even if they wanted to. I've read some arguments for getting rid of the minimum wage in order for Americans to better compete, but even if Americans got paid less it would still be less than what workers get in many of these countries.

Meanwhile, commodities like gasoline continue to skyrocket despite there being no sudden increase in demand or sudden decrease in supply. After all, Libya only exports 76,000 barrels to the U.S a day. The U.S is a country that consumes 18,690,000 barrels a day as of 2009, and I'm sure that number is even higher now.

Source: Oil consumption (most recent) by country

So as you may ask yourself, why are commodities going up then? In large part, the same reason why it went up in 2008 suddenly for no reason, investment-bank led commodity speculation.

All of this leads us to our current situation. Personally, I think something has to give eventually. What that something is however, I don't know.

Forum List

Back