1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English

I pray to God the OP meant to write that 1 in 5 household speak a language other than English as their primary language, otherwise it's pretty sad to think that only 20% of American households are bilingual. Hell I speak English,Spanish,French, and a little German. Everyone should be able to speak a second language. I recommend Chinese.

"Roughly 1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English at home (Many more in border States), with Hispanics representing the largest share, according to 2009 census data. Hispanics also now make up one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners, part of a historic trend in which minorities are projected to become the new U.S. majority by midcentury."

Poll: Language a barrier for Latinos in schools - Yahoo! News

Many Mexicans don't teach their children to speak English since they can't speak it themselves. They rely on the American school system. I have a neighbor who has 5 kids. None of them speak English!

TAKE ACTION! HERE'S HOW: Take Action | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

You dont have a neighbor with 5 kids that dont speak english. You are a liar.

"Roughly 1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English at home (Many more in border States), with Hispanics representing the largest share, according to 2009 census data. Hispanics also now make up one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners, part of a historic trend in which minorities are projected to become the new U.S. majority by midcentury."

Many Mexicans don't teach their children to speak English since they can't speak it themselves. They rely on the American school system. I have a neighbor who has 5 kids. None of them speak English!

TAKE ACTION! HERE'S HOW: Take Action | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Moron. Hispanic kids today and during the last fifty years learn English even more quickly than our immigrant ancestors did. Moron. Go out to Fredericksburg, Texas or the lower East Side of New York City and listen to the accents of 7th generation descendants of Germans and Jews from Europe.

Moron. I would rather deport you to Canada for more immigrants from elsewhere. If you can't speak languages, you are almost worthless in the job market in the 21st century, and you make America a less prosperous and worthy place to live. Moron.

I think that people who want to "legislate" a National language are insecure.

If you're worried about your culture being lost, it wasn't that great to begin with. Freedom tends to lean towards what's preferred, in the case of cultural identity and carrying on traditions.

If your mom always danced a jig before cutting the Turkey, and her Daughters don't "carry that torch," it's because dancing the jig was corny. If the traditions, and cultures, are great, let them stand on their own without "legislation" behind them.

Moron. Hispanic kids today and during the last fifty years learn English even more quickly than our immigrant ancestors did. Moron. Go out to Fredericksburg, Texas or the lower East Side of New York City and listen to the accents of 7th generation descendants of Germans and Jews from Europe.

Moron. I would rather deport you to Canada for more immigrants from elsewhere. If you can't speak languages, you are almost worthless in the job market in the 21st century, and you make America a less prosperous and worthy place to live. Moron.

i think you're stretching the truth a bit. you are "almost worthless" if you can't speak languages? i think that would make the VAST majority of college students who are going to graduate next year unemployable.
i would strongly agree that if you are bilingual, especially if you could speak chinese for example, you set yourself apart from other applicants. however, the US economy is hardly based on the ability to speak multiple languages.

i don't think anyone is against speaking multiple languages.
i think the point of this thread is that there are a growing number of mexicans who are coming in to this country and expecting america to change to suit their interests instead of vice versa. the fact that so many are doing it ilegally is only more frustrating. and more americans probably did speak multiple langauges during the industrial revolution. and do you also know what happened back then? germans married germans, russians married russians, irish married irish, etc. i'm sure language played a part in that.

They're just not learning the language like they're supposed to because they're probably too busy trying to raise their families, they don't want America to change the official language for them to suit their needs, but its funny how many Americans who travel abroad expect people to speak English or have accommodations for English speaking people.

european immigrants weren't busy trying to raise their families?

1st generation European immigrants didn't speak English either.

I think that people who want to "legislate" a National language are insecure.

If you're worried about your culture being lost, it wasn't that great to begin with. Freedom tends to lean towards what's preferred, in the case of cultural identity and carrying on traditions.

If your mom always danced a jig before cutting the Turkey, and her Daughters don't "carry that torch," it's because dancing the jig was corny. If the traditions, and cultures, are great, let them stand on their own without "legislation" behind them.

who is insecure?

who is worried about their culture being lost?

They're just not learning the language like they're supposed to because they're probably too busy trying to raise their families, they don't want America to change the official language for them to suit their needs, but its funny how many Americans who travel abroad expect people to speak English or have accommodations for English speaking people.

you're right. they also seemed to survive without any concessions being made to their circumstances.

"Roughly 1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English at home

and? your point?

most of my son's elementary school spoke russian at home. when they were put in the gifted and talented class english wasn't even fluent for many.

i'm pretty sure that now they can think, speak, read and write rings around you.

maybe that's why you feel so threatened.

it must so suck being you.

you're right. they also seemed to survive without any concessions being made to their circumstances.

They learned English more slowly than the Hispanics of the last two generation also.

No, we are more in danger of native-born Americans who don't know history, can't speak foreign languages, and can't create a basic essay of introduction, main body of evidence, and a conclusion of emphasis. Bucs, Bern, Liability, Twisted Joker, and The Rabbi are examples of this ignorant group of native-born Americans who just don't get it.

I am not sure what all was posted here, but don't tell me on a recording, "for English press 1." I will find another service. I have had to do that already a few times.

Did anyone ever stop to think that Florida, Puerto Rico, California, Arizonia, Texas and New Mexico were all peopled by Spanish speaking people before they became part of the United States?

The fact the Spanish is our second language is only fair and just.

I'd bet that the percentage of people in the United States who speak Spanish as their primary language but are also fluent in English is much greater than the reverse. That's a shame.

I am not sure what all was posted here, but don't tell me on a recording, "for English press 1." I will find another service. I have had to do that already a few times.

I guess that finding that "1" key is a bit challenging for ya, huh?

It's a shame that many Americans only speak English.
With the changes being made in Texas, it's doubtful that that will change soon.

It should be 5 of 5. Because we should all have more than one language to rely on.

Forum List

Back