1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English

get_involved

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2009
"Roughly 1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English at home (Many more in border States), with Hispanics representing the largest share, according to 2009 census data. Hispanics also now make up one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners, part of a historic trend in which minorities are projected to become the new U.S. majority by midcentury."

Poll: Language a barrier for Latinos in schools - Yahoo! News

Many Mexicans don't teach their children to speak English since they can't speak it themselves. They rely on the American school system. I have a neighbor who has 5 kids. None of them speak English!

TAKE ACTION! HERE'S HOW: Take Action | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

I'm one of those people that speak a language other than English, I speak German because my mother is German, so what the fuck is your point John Wayne?

English isn't the only language spoken in the world so why are people worrying? We Americans speak a mongrelized form of the original English language anyways.

I'm one of those people that speak a language other than English, I speak German because my mother is German, so what the fuck is your point John Wayne?

Did you read the article or are you just too stupid to understand it bonehead?

most immigrants that have come to this country made it a point that their children learn english. why? they knew it was in their best interest to do so. and it was in the country's best interest. that seemed to have worked pretty well for the US, wouldn't you say?

i personally think that if you decide to move yourself and your family to another country (especially if you do so illegally) that speaks a different language, it is up to you to learn that language. is that so outrageous?

most immigrants that have come to this country made it a point that their children learn english. why? they knew it was in their best interest to do so. and it was in the country's best interest. that seemed to have worked pretty well for the US, wouldn't you say?

i personally think that if you decide to move yourself and your family to another country (especially if you do so illegally) that speaks a different language, it is up to you to learn that language. is that so outrageous?

I think most people are doing that so whats the point?

1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English
So what?...The number should be higher, just out of pride of American intellect.

How many households spoke a language other than English during the early days of the Industrial Revolution?...Betcha a dollar to a dog turd it was a whole lot more.

i don't think anyone is against speaking multiple languages.
i think the point of this thread is that there are a growing number of mexicans who are coming in to this country and expecting america to change to suit their interests instead of vice versa. the fact that so many are doing it ilegally is only more frustrating. and more americans probably did speak multiple langauges during the industrial revolution. and do you also know what happened back then? germans married germans, russians married russians, irish married irish, etc. i'm sure language played a part in that.

i think the point of this thread is that there are a growing number of mexicans who are coming in to this country and expecting america to change to suit their interests instead of vice versa. the fact that so many are doing it ilegally is only more frustrating. and more americans probably did speak multiple langauges during the industrial revolution. and do you also know what happened back then? germans married germans, russians married russians, irish married irish, etc. i'm sure language played a part in that.

They're just not learning the language like they're supposed to because they're probably too busy trying to raise their families, they don't want America to change the official language for them to suit their needs, but its funny how many Americans who travel abroad expect people to speak English or have accommodations for English speaking people.

I was one of those 1 in 5 back when I lived in the States. I got there when I was 11 barely knowing some phrases. And look at me now! It's embarrassing to admit, but I communicate more comfortably in English than in Spanish nowadays.

Did you read the article or are you just too stupid to understand it bonehead?

I sense xenophobic people scared shitless of cultural and ethnic extinction because of language.

Yes, I was right. You are just Ignorant. It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

They're just not learning the language like they're supposed to because they're probably too busy trying to raise their families, they don't want America to change the official language for them to suit their needs, but its funny how many Americans who travel abroad expect people to speak English or have accommodations for English speaking people.

european immigrants weren't busy trying to raise their families?

"Roughly 1 in 5 people in the U.S. speaks a language other than English at home (Many more in border States), with Hispanics representing the largest share, according to 2009 census data. Hispanics also now make up one-fourth of the nation's kindergartners, part of a historic trend in which minorities are projected to become the new U.S. majority by midcentury."

Poll: Language a barrier for Latinos in schools - Yahoo! News

Many Mexicans don't teach their children to speak English since they can't speak it themselves. They rely on the American school system. I have a neighbor who has 5 kids. None of them speak English!

TAKE ACTION! HERE'S HOW: Take Action | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
That's pretty pathetic. IMO we should all be required to be fluent in two languages before graduating from high school. The rest of the world is way ahead of us on languages.

I've never met a child of immigrants who didn't become fluent in English, btw. I think you are a liar.

That's pretty pathetic. IMO we should all be required to be fluent in two languages before graduating from high school. The rest of the world is way ahead of us on languages.

I've never met a child of immigrants who didn't become fluent in English, btw. I think you are a liar.

I think therein lies the problem. Most people weren't around when the very first generations of, say, Italians started arriving. It's not like they got off the boat and viola, they were fluent English speakers. First generation immigrants may never really totally integrate, and many, especially the older they were at the age of immigration, the harder and longer it would take to learn the language and integrate. But the '1.5ers' and 2nd generation basically have to become fluent by necessity. By the third generation chances are they can't even speak their grandparent's language at all.

The fact is that though the US doesn't have a de jure official language, English IS it's language. People from all over the world are racing to learn English. It's the international language. It's the language of business and technology, and culture, and the internet. This serves as an even bigger impetus to learn it and, if you will, gives it an almost infinite comparative advantage in the "market of languages." This is why all this paranoia over Spanish is just that... paranoia.

The real problem here is fear of change. The fact that English is the de facto language of the US is not going to change, but it does seem like Spanish is and will increasingly become an important language there. And though I may be biased, I don't see how this is a bad thing. In Canada they have two official languages, and yeah, kids have to learn both in school everywhere, and many signs in some cities have both language signs, but the fact is that there's basically no threat to the English language there. Most of the Quebecois have to learn English, but most Anglo-Canadians, even after taking French for years and years can barely even speak it. It's not like you're ever going to be FORCED to learn it. It'll just be a good thing to do so.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back