1 In 5 Iraq Vets Are Affected By ‘Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries’

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
A quarter of a million vets:

Time magazine Managing Editor Richard Stengel discussed a new Pentagon report that says “1 in 5 American servicemen and women who have been in Iraq are coming back with brain injuries.” Stengel called it the “real toll” of the war, adding that “the legacy of that will last all of our lifetimes and it’s incalculable.”

In total, according to Stengel, “more than 250,000 people” are affected by “mild traumatic brain injuries”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ76viUdBYo&eurl=http://thinkprogress.org/

Time magazine Managing Editor Richard Stengel discussed a new Pentagon report that says “1 in 5 American servicemen and women who have been in Iraq are coming back with brain injuries.” Stengel called it the “real toll” of the war, adding that “the legacy of that will last all of our lifetimes and it’s incalculable.”

In total, according to Stengel, “more than 250,000 people” are affected by “mild traumatic brain injuries”

Well, yeah ... cuz everyone knows managing editors of magazines are experts on brain injuries.:rolleyes:

I wonder how many WW1 and WW2 combat vets had "brain" injuries? They got shelled heavily. Ohh wait, we can not blame Bush for them so not important.

Actually, it's because advancements in field medicine let people who would have died from their injuries in WWI and WWII live. This leaves us with much more severely injured people.

So, either these issues can discussed or... you can whine and use it as an opportunity to make it about "bush bashing".

I wonder how many WW1 and WW2 combat vets had "brain" injuries? They got shelled heavily. Ohh wait, we can not blame Bush for them so not important.

Um, no! I think you'll find it wasn't a "problem" back then because it was frowned upon to show any emotion regarding the psychological state of your mind after a war (you recall the famous incident with Patton when he haranged a shell-shocked soldier?? While he was reprimanded, most soldiers agreed with his actions at the time when the PC police were not around). Times change. We are more in touch with reality! No more Stiff Upper Lip crap.These days people want resolution...

I know it's weird, but even with TIME magazine, there could be problems with how they are quoting? Now if it said, '1 in 5 injured American servicemen and women in Iraq are coming back with brain injuries', it might seem more logical.

It's just so hard to contemplate such a trusted news source leaving out a word. :rolleyes:

Actually, it is important. The greater problem is the trauma caused by war. Or maybe that type of information is not important to the men who decide that we must be in a war in the first place.

I know it's weird, but even with TIME magazine, there could be problems with how they are quoting? Now if it said, '1 in 5 injured American servicemen and women in Iraq are coming back with brain injuries', it might seem more logical.

It's just so hard to contemplate such a trusted news source leaving out a word. :rolleyes:

A quarter million sounds so much better though. Didn't you know? Just donning a helmet and appearing in Iraq causes brain damage, ask Taoman.

Actually, it is important. The greater problem is the trauma caused by war. Or maybe that type of information is not important to the men who decide that we must be in a war in the first place.

Those unwilling or unable to defend themselves will find they have no rights and no freedom.

Go ahead Taomon make some ignorant statement about how you are free and have rights. Ignoring the fact the rest of us protect your sorry ass and ensure you have those freedoms and rights.

the "support the troops" rhetoric from bush lovers here, is touching.

There wasn't a single partisan comment in the first thread. Only facts.

And there is nothing of any substance to this thread. Unless you think like Taomon that we should just disband our military and surrender to the next Country that demands it.

This is nothing more than " lets call Bush names" thread. It has nothing to do with the troops at all, except they happen to be the convenient club you think you can use.

You want to blame someone for their injuries? Blame the terrorists that caused them. And lets be a little more specific shall we? What terrible consequence do we face in the future because of these injuries? I don't recall any terrible consequences after WW2 and I can assure you the troops that were shelled had similar injuries. And they would number a lot more the 250,000.

This is nothing but political hay designed to be thrown at Bush.

it's amazing that someone who alleges to be a veteran, turned this thread into a "Defend Bush at all costs!" tirade.

The only one who made it partisan was you. You evidently spend every waking hour thinking about how to defend your hero, bush, against all criticism, real or imagined.

I didn't say a word about bush. The amount of injured people coming home from this war, are far more than most people realize. Far more. And its worth it to recognize it, and hope that our government takes care of them.

it's amazing that someone who alleges to be a veteran, turned this thread into a "Defend Bush at all costs!" tirade.

The only one who made it partisan was you. You evidently spend every waking hour thinking about how to defend your hero, bush, against all criticism, real or imagined.

I didn't say a word about bush. The amount of injured people coming home from this war, are far more than most people realize. Far more. And its worth it to recognize it, and hope that our government takes care of them.

Absolute bullshit. You made this thread to attack the war, which is an attack on Bush. Yes lets hope our Government takes care of them? Funny but the Government has been doing JUST that. Increasing funding to the VA and Military hospitals, requiring more effort be put into just such programs that address these injuries and issues.

Remind us again? WHO discovered these "hidden" injuries? Who reported them? Who is making recommendations on how to treat those effected?

Notice NONE of that is addressed in your thread by you AT all.

And there is nothing of any substance to this thread. Unless you think like Taomon that we should just disband our military and surrender to the next Country that demands it.
Dude, I never said that ever. You are delusional.

This is nothing more than " lets call Bush names" thread. It has nothing to do with the troops at all, except they happen to be the convenient club you think you can use.
Huh?

You want to blame someone for their injuries? Blame the terrorists that caused them. And lets be a little more specific shall we? What terrible consequence do we face in the future because of these injuries? I don't recall any terrible consequences after WW2 and I can assure you the troops that were shelled had similar injuries. And they would number a lot more the 250,000.

This is nothing but political hay designed to be thrown at Bush.
Bullshit. This is an example of why we need VA benefits and why those benefits need to be reformed so that veterans never lose them ever and that there is better treatment for these injuries.

We should not be in Iraq. That is a given. But I am all for fighting terrorism.
The problem is that we are going about it the wrong way.

Instead of torture, coercion and faulty intelligence, let's do some actual investigative work and hunt down terrorists, prosecute them and either imprison them (if they have not committed an act of terrorism but it can be proven that they would) or execute them (if it can be proven that they committed an act(s) of terrorism and will do so again).

We need to stop all finances (including our own) being funneled to terrorist regimes.

We also need to address the issue that cause a person to become a terrorist. These are the only ways to eradicate terrorism.

Forum List

Back