1 in 4 Americans say they never plan to retire despite realities of aging

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
WMO2GWRJ4FDAFMHVLWSIWZMCCI.jpg

Some people work because they enjoy it and it keeps them from getting stale and bored. Others just don’t to accept that they’re getting old.

According to the poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs

Research, 23% of workers, including nearly 2 in 10 of those over 50, don't expect to stop working. Roughly another quarter of Americans say they will continue working beyond their 65th birthday.

According to government data, about 1 in 5 people 65 and older was working or actively looking for a job in June.

For many, money has a lot to do with the decision to keep working.

Poll: 1 in 4 Americans say they never plan to retire despite realities of aging

That sucks. I paid my first social security taxes when I was 16 and was quite happy to retire once my kids graduated college. I know people who really enjoy what they do but for those who don't and have to keep working, I feel for them.

Some people work because they enjoy it and it keeps them from getting stale and bored. Others just don’t to accept that they’re getting old.

Research, 23% of workers, including nearly 2 in 10 of those over 50, don't expect to stop working. Roughly another quarter of Americans say they will continue working beyond their 65th birthday.

According to government data, about 1 in 5 people 65 and older was working or actively looking for a job in June.

For me I started to work at 11 years old as a pump jockey. I also had a morning paper route. I felt that i would work until I died. Well my body just plain wore out and I had to stop working. No medical procedure can fix all my problems. So at 69 I quit working.

Retirement is a concept that was invented in the early 20th century. Prior to that, there really was no such thing as retirement. In 1800, 93% of the population was engaged in agriculture. For the most part, the average person was responsible for getting their own water, food, shelter, clothing, etc. That was they way it was going back 12,000 years to when agriculture was first evented. Before that, Hunter Gatherers, were again responsible for providing their own water, food, shelter, and clothing. Hell, any form of health care was your job as well or someone in your family.

People who stay in the workforce longer tend to also live longer and are also healthier later in life. Staying engaged and active is key to maintaining a healthy mind and body. Eating a healthy diet, power lifting, body building distant running, learning a new language, good quality sleep, can slow the aging process and prevent or delay many of the health problems people site as reasons they have to retire. Unfortunately, we have a population that still believes or at least acts like exercise is for children and young adults. Exercise is something you need to be engaged in for life with the same goals you had when your were in High School and College. Timing yourself in the 1 mile, 2 mile or 3 mile races and trying to build muscle mass through weight lifting.

I fully agree with the importance of staying mentally engaged and staying physically active to reduce the effects of aging. I'm not sure you need to stay working your entire life to accomplish that but volunteering, clubs, there are lots of things older people can do.

I wonder who came up with the idea of "retirement?"

And established 65 as the guidepost?

I bet it was someone in government.

Well, historically, among the Western working class (which was most people), you worked as long as you were physically able, then your kids (now adults) were responsible for your upkeep, if your own resources were insufficient. This is one reason why older houses are so large. Not only were families having more kids, but there also needed to be room for a grandparent or two, and possibly an old drunk uncle who couldn't hold a job for more than fifteen minutes. It was EXPECTED that Grandma would come live with one of the children when the time came.

But this system broke down in many cases, which is why social security was implemented - to keep the elderly from being destitute. 65 was chosen as the "retirement" age because it followed a similar program in Germany. Of course the average lifespan at the time was about 65.

I know a lot of people who simply don't have the resources to support themselves in retirement, even with social security, and I feel sad for them. It's a pity.

What I don't understand is people who HAVE the resources to retire, and yet continue to work. I just don't get it. I've been retired for two years and even though I "liked" my job, someone would have to take me kicking and screaming back to an office to do any more of it (I do volunteer stuff when I feel like it).

I personally think such people have a distorted view of the decision process. They think (and I've heard many of them say), "I have no reason to retire." If they have no "reason to retire" then they keep working.

But this is upside down. The actual question should be, "Is there any reason to keep working?" If not, then retirement is the "default value," and should be taken.

Forum List

Back