1 in 3 die from Deadly EEE virus, mosquito borne, Mi to NC to FL

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
Next year, even more people will be affected.

A fifth person in Michigan has died of the rare but dangerous mosquito-borne Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), state health officials announced this week.​

EEE — a rare disease spread by infected mosquitoes — is known to cause brain inflammation. Survivors typically have mild to severe brain damage, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One-third of those infected with EEE die.

Rare EEE virus kills 5th Michigan resident, officials say
More information about the pandemic nature of this Eastern Equine Encephalitis here:

Frequently Asked Questions | Eastern Equine Encephalitis | CDC

Eastern equine encephalitis - Wikipedia
From the United States Center for Disease Control, this warning for you to protect yourself from getting this heinous disease from a mosquito is as follows:

How can people reduce the chance of getting infected with EEEV?
Prevent mosquito bites. There is no vaccine or preventive drug.
  • Use insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus on exposed skin and/or clothing. The repellent/insecticide permethrin can be used on clothing to protect through several washes. Always follow the directions on the package.
  • Wear long sleeves and pants when weather permits.
  • Have secure, intact screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out.
  • Eliminate mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets, barrels, and other containers. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
th
th
th

th

I live in East Texas in the Pineywoods rainforest right next to a small lake where 3 small herds of deer use as their sleeping grounds, and my favorite repellant of all is REPEL MAX 40% etc. which I discovered 3 years ago. It outlasts anything else I've tried. I have an allergic reaction to mosquito bites, only one of which can sink my ship, so I like one that lasts for 8 hours plus, and the Repel product seems to know how we sweat in Texas in mosquito months which at any given time can span the 12-month calendar if Ma Nature gets sunny.

So please, try to remember if you live south of the 40th parallel, go out prepared to offend the offenders and smite the mighty mosquitoes and the deadly diseases they carry.

May God go with you and protect you from this mind-altering disease. Yep. Permanent brain damage is one of its claims. :eusa_pray:

A fifth person in Michigan has died of the rare but dangerous mosquito-borne Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), state health officials announced this week.​

EEE — a rare disease spread by infected mosquitoes — is known to cause brain inflammation. Survivors typically have mild to severe brain damage, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). One-third of those infected with EEE die.

More information about the pandemic nature of this Eastern Equine Encephalitis here:

From the United States Center for Disease Control, this warning for you to protect yourself from getting this heinous disease from a mosquito is as follows:

• Use insect repellent containing DEET, picaridin, IR3535 or oil of lemon eucalyptus on exposed skin and/or clothing. The repellent/insecticide permethrin can be used on clothing to protect through several washes. Always follow the directions on the package.
  • Eliminate mosquito breeding sites by emptying standing water from flower pots, buckets, barrels, and other containers. Drill holes in tire swings so water drains out. Keep children’s wading pools empty and on their sides when they aren’t being used.
th
th
th

th

I live in East Texas in the Pineywoods rainforest right next to a small lake where 3 small herds of deer use as their sleeping grounds, and my favorite repellant of all is REPEL MAX 40% etc. which I discovered 3 years ago. It outlasts anything else I've tried. I have an allergic reaction to mosquito bites, only one of which can sink my ship, so I like one that lasts for 8 hours plus, and the Repel product seems to know how we sweat in Texas in mosquito months which at any given time can span the 12-month calendar if Ma Nature gets sunny.

So please, try to remember if you live south of the 40th parallel, go out prepared to offend the offenders and smite the mighty mosquitoes and the deadly diseases they carry.

May God go with you and protect you from this mind-altering disease. Yep. Permanent brain damage is one of its claims. :eusa_pray:

Where did they come from?

Some anabaptist friends of mine have been talking about this. They use these gigantic draft horses to plow their fields. To them losing a horse is a big deal.

th
th
th

th

"They?" If you are referring to mosquitoes, it will take me quite some time to follow the vector route. If you mean people, as "they," which people are you referring to? I apologize for giving so many references, but I thought they would resolve all questions to questions anyone has about the EEE disease, and that it has a long history in this country of wiping out livestock, and in particular horses and chickens. That leads me to think that the vector route has to do with uninfected mosquitoes imbibing on the blood of a sick animal cause it to become a vector that also bites human beings. But I have no way of confirming that unless I find the specific study. I only wrote this as a warning to people who live in the warmer climes of the nation right now, because once the weather chills to a certain factor, the disease is rampantly spread by mosquitoes who survive and thrive until a certain threshold in temperature is reached as winter approaches. This is the middle of October. Apparently the state of Michigan is having something like an Indian summer to have had 5 people die from the disease. That tells us that 15 people had the disease and are or were potential vectors if a transfer route is chosen by a mosquito sucking on their blood and transferring it to say, a field mouse, horse, or chicken, who seals the deal that next year, more human beings will be bitten and die from the disease. I'll go and check for you, but this may or may not take hours. ;)

Well, I found one in less than 5 minutes here: Transmission | Eastern Equine Encephalitis | CDC

Transmission
Eastern equine encephalitis virus (EEEV) is maintained in a cycle between Culiseta melanura mosquitoes and avian hosts in freshwater hardwood swamps. Cs. melanura is not considered to be an important vector of EEEV to humans because it feeds almost exclusively on birds. Transmission to humans requires mosquito species capable of creating a “bridge” between infected birds and uninfected mammals such as some Aedes, Coquillettidia, and Culex species.

Horses are susceptible to EEEV infection and some cases are fatal. EEEV infections in horses, however, are not a significant risk factor for human infection because horses (like humans) are considered to be “dead-end” hosts for the virus (i.e., the concentration of virus in their bloodstreams is usually insufficient to infect mosquitoes).
You might be a little skeptical if you were a Michigan citizen who just buried one of 5 people who died from this heinous disease.

I'd look for a chicken ranch or horse mecca within mosquito-migration range of where the dead person contracted his infection. If he were elderly and immunodeficient due to fibromyalgia, cancer, or stroke, he or she might not recall where he was or could have been bitten if his destination locations are frequent to areas where mosquitoes breed, a chicken or a horse farm that has experienced losses in livestock due to the disease. Not every animal death is confirmed by a savvy veterinarian.

And not every person who dies of this disease has had tissues tested for EEE, I do believe.

Mosquitoes are far more dangerous to humans than humans are to human. This will hopefully convince you to avoid being bitten by using lemon eucalyptus, deet, or other deterrant to female mosquitoes that would love to drink your blood, particularly if you're sitting around a campfire at the lake, and you notice mosquitoes are selecting you for a meal more so than anyone else so sitting.

The young man who has dedicated his career to tracking mosquitoes and who they bite said genetics may be partly to blame, but he also thinks half of all human deaths on the planet are due to a mosquito bite, and that mosquitoes are more deadly than human enemies armed with killing equipment on a battlefield.

Last edited:
Some anabaptist friends of mine have been talking about this. They use these gigantic draft horses to plow their fields. To them losing a horse is a big deal.
Goodness, I hope the disease doesn't strike them, Mr. Muhammed. I found some tips at the cdc that might help you help your draft-horse owner friends:

Symptoms

Symptoms of encephalitis may include fever, headache, seizures, extreme tiredness, or light sensitivity. Additionally, a person with encephalitis may be confused or forgetful and may act strangely. Symptoms vary depending on the agent that is responsible for the illness.

Prevention
Because encephalitis can be caused by many different organisms or agents, there is no single treatment for infectious nonarboviral encephalitis. It is advised that people maintain good health and hygiene practices to prevent spreading viruses that can cause nonarboviral encephalitis. Some examples of good health and hygiene practices are:
  • Staying away from people who are sick.
  • Staying home from work, school, and errands when you are sick.
  • Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing.
  • Washing your hands often.
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Keeping current on all recommended vaccinations.
See CDC’s website, Stopping the Spread of Germs at Home, Work & School, (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/stopgerms.htm) for more information on good health and hygiene practices.

Recent Texas Trends
There were 130 cases of nonarboviral encephalitis reported in Texas from 2002 to 2012. Due to small case counts, there are no data trends to report.
That way, if their veterinarian confirms encephalitis, they can teach their children precautions before going outside and placing themselves at risk.

In my state of Texas, 130 cases were reported in ten years of encephalitis transmitted by mosquito and tick bites. Tell your friends they are on my prayer list for avoidance of losing animals and children (or elderly) since the disease picks on people under the age of 6 and over the age of 60 most frequently, according to my educational recollections and under the age of 15 and over the age of 50 from my most recent readings on this topic.

th
th
th

th

"They?" If you are referring to mosquitoes, it will take me quite some time to follow the vector route. If you mean people, as "they," which people are you referring to? I apologize for giving so many references, but I thought they would resolve all questions to questions anyone has about the EEE disease, and that it has a long history in this country of wiping out livestock, and in particular horses and chickens. That leads me to think that the vector route has to do with uninfected mosquitoes imbibing on the blood of a sick animal cause it to become a vector that also bites human beings. But I have no way of confirming that unless I find the specific study. I only wrote this as a warning to people who live in the warmer climes of the nation right now, because once the weather chills to a certain factor, the disease is rampantly spread by mosquitoes who survive and thrive until a certain threshold in temperature is reached as winter approaches. This is the middle of October. Apparently the state of Michigan is having something like an Indian summer to have had 5 people die from the disease. That tells us that 15 people had the disease and are or were potential vectors if a transfer route is chosen by a mosquito sucking on their blood and transferring it to say, a field mouse, horse, or chicken, who seals the deal that next year, more human beings will be bitten and die from the disease. I'll go and check for you, but this may or may not take hours. ;)
That's ok. I thought a warm foreign climate, like in South America or Africa.

th
th
th

th

That's ok. I thought a warm foreign climate, like in South America or Africa.
I thought so too. However, science and the cdc.gov tells us those were the good old days for us. Today it's here, and when municipal funds get low and mosquito control goes into the dustbin, the disease has a tendency to recur. :(

I had horses many years ago when a virus (West Nile Virus) was prevalent here on the West coast. We used to give them shots every year. FYI...If ya got horses, ya got flies and mosquitoes. Be careful!

Forum List

Back